Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help: Drill Press Machine Project

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Machine Project

your drill press needs a motor pulley - try harbor freight - it looks like
the generic made in china unit, so there is an excellent change that the
replacement pulley for a similar HF unit will be correct. Then you will
need 2 V belts. You can use it with one handle missing, or buy a
replacement handle. I sold a drill press like yours, but complete, and with
a much better chuck (and a better table) for $150 - so be careful not to put
too much $$ into it.

the bandsaw appears to be missing the table and all the parts that go with
it - try the same source - HF and see what you can find - but again, don't
put more than 1/2 of what a new one costs into it. For a motor, find
something used for $5 or $10 max, there are plenty of old motors around -
3/4 HP will do. I can't tell if the saw guides are complete, you need to
look at a parts list and see if they are all there. And, on that type of
cheap bandsaw, the carrier for the upper wheel can fail (it happened on
mine) - if that happens you need to make a new one

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote:

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

This'll get you started:

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/AMT_...rill_Press.pdf

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I put "Drill press" in the search at Harbor Freight in hopes of
getting back hits related to the drillpress, and only got two pages
with very little. Even "belts" brought back nothing related to the
drill press.(What "handle" were you referring to?).

You said I need a motor pulley, but if you look at the pic:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rillPress1.jpg
it is there. Just not attached above the motor. It looks as though it
has a wood dowel going through the center, so I assume I'm supposed to
punch that out and fit it on the the motor spindle.

As for the Bandsaw, I didn't open it up further, but all the parts are
in the pics. I also could not find much at Harbor Freight when I put
"Bandsaw" in the search.

The problem is that I cannot search for a particular part number to
find what I need. So I have no idea where I'm going to find a table.(I
have no parts list).

And as for a motor, going by what you said I guess these are too
expensive, correct?

You said not to spend more than 1/2 of what a new one costs, but I
wouldn't know what that would be, because these are no longer made. I
did pick both machines up for $80 ,and was hoping that fixing them up
would be a learning expeince, but unless I can find someone who can
make what I need, it looks as though they may have to go out to the
garbage.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************

"Searcher7" wrote in message

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IIRC, AMT is out of business. But both units look like import specials.

Others have mentioned Harbor Freight for parts. Here's the trick to get
part numbers: Stop in the store if they have one locally, get the model
numbers for any that look close to what you have. Go to the website,
download the user manuals, they almost always have a parts breakdown in
the back. Figure out what you need, call HF customer service.

HF parts tend to be very modestly priced (the good news) but many of
them have to be ordered from China and take weeks or months to get (the
bad news)

The drill press is missing the 4 step pulley. Good item to get from HF
parts.

The bandsaw seems to be almost complete. Upper guide, lower guide,
table, table support, and stand. I don't see the little 'C' shaped
table to table support locking pieces. I rarely use my table tilt
feature, consider just bolting a pieces of 3/4" plywood or suitable sink
cutout directly to the frame. Bolts are likely to be metric, don't force
anything when replacing a bolt.

Searcher7 wrote:
I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

1. most drill preeses like yours that I've seen have a jackshaft, so I
presume that the pulley I see in the photo goes on the jack shaft, hence the
missing motor pulley

2. your drill presss looks like this one to me
go to HF and download the manual and see

3. your bandsaw is probably like this one
go to HF and download the manual and see - you DL the manual he
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...m&ItemID=32208

"Searcher7" wrote in message

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You said that the drill press is missing the "4 step pulley". I don't
understand. In this photo there are two 5-step pulleys:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rillPress1.jpg

The one not attached has a wood dowel wedged through the center that
obviously has to be removed so I can place it on the motor.

I measured the top wheel inside the bandsaw housing and it came out
top 13-3/4 inches, so I assume that this would be considered a 14"
bandsaw.

Of what you mentioned, the table and table support are what I don't
have yet.(I just need to figure out what size I should be looking
for).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************

Searcher7 wrote:
I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 14, 11:28*am, "William Noble" wrote:
1. most drill preeses like yours that I've seen have a jackshaft, so I
presume that the pulley I see in the photo goes on the jack shaft, hence the
missing motor pulley

Ok, I'm confused. There is the shaft that comes out of the top of the
motor in that pic. There are no other shafts.

2. your drill presss looks like this one to mehttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43378
go to HF and download the manual and see

Are you sure? Mine is a 5-speed. The one you referenced is a 16-speed.
And mine has a 1/2 inch chuck, along with a JT 2-1/2 spindle. The one
you referenced has a JT3 chuck and MT2 spindle.

3. your bandsaw is probably like this onehttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32208
go to HF and download the manual and see - you DL the manual hehttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...m&ItemID=32208

I see a lot of differences. And I don't yet know what the piece on the
lower left of this pic is for:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=Bandsaw6.jpg

As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************

You said I need a motor pulley, but if you look at the pic:http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action...

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************************

"Searcher7" wrote in message

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**-Hide quoted text -

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ok, it's time for you do do some searching around - find the chinese import
that most closely matches what you have and download the manuals and parts
lists. If your drill press is a 5 speed and then just put it together - why
are you asking questions?

as for the bandsaw, if that one is different, keep looking - but unless you
have some idea of what your tool is supposed to look like, you will never
get it together.

"Searcher7" wrote in message

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**-Hide quoted text -

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry, couldn't count the steps! Normally there are 4 steps in each
pulley. You need 3 pulleys to get this to work: one on the motor, one on
the spindle, and the center one as an idler. The idler pulley will have
one belt going each way so there are less than the 4x4 speeds. Sounds
like you have all the parts, just needs to be reassmbled.

Sounds like a 14" bandsaw. The magic number you will need is the
circumference around both wheels to get the necessary blade length. For
this machine, it will likely be something like 91-1/2 to 93-1/2"

I presumed that pic bandsaw6 showed the table leaning up against the
guard. On closer examination, it is the door to the guard assembly. So
no table. But the bracket with the half round slots is the base for the
table.

Searcher7 wrote:
I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/
I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.
The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw).
Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote in news:585059e4-4d77-45fc-91e6-
:

Ok, I'm confused. There is the shaft that comes out of the top of the
motor in that pic. There are no other shafts.

There are actually 3 shafts: one for the spindle, the "jackshaft" or "idler
pulley" shaft, and the motor shaft.

The pulley on the motor shaft is missing as is one of the V-belts.

Your drillpress is set up the same way that my Craftsman is: a motor pulley
identical to the spindle shaft pulley but mounted inverted that is
connected by a V-belt to an idler pulley that is, also, connected by a
second V-belt to the spindle pulley.

The speed of the spindle is determined by the placement of the V-belts and,
on mine, range from 300 RPM to 4650 RPM in steps.

The slowest speed occurs with the motor pulley's V-belt on the smallest of
the 5 steps [its top step] driving the idler pulley's largest step [its top
step] and the idler pulley's smallest step [its bottom step] driving the
spindle pulley's largest step [its bottom step].

IOW, that's not a 5-speed but a 15-speed drillpress that you bought. grin

To find a matching pulley for the motor, just measure the spindle pulley
and get another one like it.

You'll also need a least a pair of V-belts, too.

FWIW, I just bought a replacement belt for mine at an autoparts store.
grin

You may be able to do some v-e-r-y slow speed drilling by simply using the
bare motor shaft to drive the motor-to-idler V-belt connection but you'll
want to get a pulley for it if much torque is required.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote in message
0...
Searcher7 wrote in news:585059e4-4d77-45fc-91e6-
:

Ok, I'm confused. There is the shaft that comes out of the top of the
motor in that pic. There are no other shafts.

There are actually 3 shafts: one for the spindle, the "jackshaft" or
"idler
pulley" shaft, and the motor shaft.

The pulley on the motor shaft is missing as is one of the V-belts.

Your drillpress is set up the same way that my Craftsman is: a motor
pulley
identical to the spindle shaft pulley but mounted inverted that is
connected by a V-belt to an idler pulley that is, also, connected by a
second V-belt to the spindle pulley.

**************************************

Don't think so.. It looks more like my Craftsman from the 60's that I
inherited from Dad.

There are only TWO pulleys , that is, no idler, so the wooden dowel is just
in the pulley-bore of that mystery-pulley in the middle for some sort of
confusion factor - that pulley is most likely the motor pulley, check the ID
of the bore with the motor shaft. One pulley for the motor, the other for
the quill. The belt is tensioned by pivoting the motor until proper tension
s achieved, this done with a screw below the belt-guard housing. The screw,
in the case of Dad's Craftsman, swings out of alignment easily for
belt-change, and just pops back in to hold position - simple.

Notice the pix, which shows a large open area for the motor to move about
in the belt-housing.

Flash

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 14, 4:09*pm, RoyJ wrote:
Sorry, couldn't count the steps! *Normally there are 4 steps in each
pulley. You need 3 pulleys to get this to work: one on the motor, one on
the spindle, and the center one as an idler. The idler pulley will have
one belt going each way so there are less than the 4x4 speeds. Sounds
like you have all the parts, just needs to be reassmbled.

Inside the housing there is no place for a pulley in between the motor
and the spindle.

Sounds like a 14" bandsaw. The magic number you will need is the
circumference around both wheels to get the necessary blade length. For
this machine, it will likely be something like 91-1/2 to 93-1/2"

I presumed that pic bandsaw6 showed the table leaning up against the
guard. On closer examination, it is the door to the guard assembly. So
no table. But the bracket with the half round slots is the base for the
table.

I figured that had something to do with the missing table. I just have
to figure out how to attach it.(I'm still looking for the manual, or
one for a similar machine).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 14, 8:21*pm, "RAM³" wrote:
[...]

I added another picture to show the pulley housing only has a place
for two pulleys to fit on the motor and chuck spindle:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

IOW, that's not a 5-speed but a 15-speed drillpress that you bought. grin

Even the manual says it's a 5-speed:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf

To find a matching pulley for the motor, just measure the spindle pulley
and get another one like it.

You'll also need a least a pair of V-belts, too.

FWIW, I just bought a replacement belt for mine at an autoparts store.
grin

At lease I now know where to get spares. :-)

You may be able to do some v-e-r-y slow speed drilling by simply using the
bare motor shaft to drive the motor-to-idler V-belt connection but you'll
want to get a pulley for it if much torque is required.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
On Jun 14, 4:09 pm, RoyJ wrote:

I presumed that pic bandsaw6 showed the table leaning up against the
guard. On closer examination, it is the door to the guard assembly. So
no table. But the bracket with the half round slots is the base for the
table.

I figured that had something to do with the missing table. I just have
to figure out how to attach it.(I'm still looking for the manual, or
one for a similar machine).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

the casting bolts to the bandsaw frame, and there are two (potmetal,
usually) assemblies that bolt to it and allow the table to be angled, and
they in turn bolt to the table. - look at the manual from HF or some place -
they are all just about identical

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, you are pretty good at misleading everyone. If you look at page 8
of this instruction manual,
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/39955.PDF
you will see a good drawing of a double reduction belt system with a
step pulley in the middle.

For the bandsaw, the table mounting can clearly be seen in Fig Z on page
16 of
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...2999/32208.PDF
and the parts diagram on page 21

Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 14, 4:09 pm, RoyJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 4:34*pm, RoyJ wrote:
Well, you are pretty good at misleading everyone. If you look at page 8
of this instruction manual,http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/39955.PDF
you will see a good drawing of a double reduction belt system with a
step pulley in the middle.

???

Yes, but that is not my Drill Press.

For the bandsaw, the table mounting can clearly be seen in Fig Z on page
16 ofhttp://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/32000-32999/32208.PDF
and the parts diagram on page 21

That doesn't look like tyhe one in my picture, but it should be a
simple matter to figure it out. I just have to find out what size
table I should be looking for.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************

Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 14, 4:09 pm, RoyJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 14, 1:08 pm, Searcher7 wrote:
You said that the drill press is missing the "4 step pulley". I don't
understand. In this photo there are two 5-step pulleys:http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action...

Hello Darren:

In the AMT online drill press manual, the pulley numbered 65 was
intended to go on the *motor* *shaft*. That arrangement would give
you five speeds using the long belt supplied with the machine.
Probably runs around 700 rpm at the low end, and about 3000 rpm at the
max. However, for metal work, even lower speeds would be very useful.

With your machine, if you were to buy another 4 or 5-step pulley to go
on the motor shaft, and two *shorter* belts, you can get about 16
speeds. Belt 1 goes from the machine's spindle pulley to the other
pulley that is currently installed. Belt 2 goes from that "other"
pulley to the motor pulley. With that arrangement you can go down to
about 200-250 rpm---very useful.

Hope this helps -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 15, 4:34 pm, RoyJ wrote:
Well, you are pretty good at misleading everyone. If you look at page 8
of this instruction manual,http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/39955.PDF
you will see a good drawing of a double reduction belt system with a
step pulley in the middle.

???

Yes, but that is not my Drill Press.

You asked for comments on your drill press from a company that is out of
business. You show a picture that looks very much like a 12 speed
drill press layout. More than one poster comments on what parts are
'missing' since we can not inspect it closely. Then you complain that
someone shows you something slightly different. Have you looked at ANY
of the Harbor Freight manuals? If not, why not? Sheesh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 9:52*pm, RoyJ wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 15, 4:34 pm, RoyJ wrote:
Well, you are pretty good at misleading everyone. If you look at page 8
of this instruction manual,http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/39955.PDF
you will see a good drawing of a double reduction belt system with a
step pulley in the middle.

???

Yes, but that is not my Drill Press.

You asked for comments on your drill press from a company that is out of
* business. You show a picture that looks very much like a 12 speed
drill press layout. More than one poster comments on what parts are
'missing' since we can not inspect it closely. Then you complain that
someone shows you something slightly different. Have you looked at ANY
of the Harbor Freight manuals? If not, why not? Sheesh.

I see you've been having a bad day...

I knew when I posted that the company that made the drill press was no
longer in business.

And I've had the PDF manual for the drill press for months.

Said manual and pics I took of the drill press have been posted in
this thread several times in an attempt to prove to you and others
that this is a 5 speed drill press with no "Jack shaft/idler pulley".
But only *two* locations for the included 5-step pulleys in the
housing:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action

But I am continually directed to manuals for drill presses that are
*not* the same as mine. So I'd think it would not be a good idea to
reference those when looking for parts.

Flash is the only one that seems to understand this.

When do I need parts, I'll contact Harbor Freight. But from what I can
tell so far I don't need anything for the drill press.(And all I need
for the bandsaw is a motor, a table, and a 92" blade to replace the
rusted one).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I see NOTHING in your original post that indicates that you have had the
manual at all, let alone for months. So all this discussion is over
............ what...............? You ask people for help, with hold
useful information, ask where to get parts.

Troll.

Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 15, 9:52 pm, RoyJ wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 15, 4:34 pm, RoyJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Whether or not I had the manual has nothing to do with the fact that I
didn't know where to get parts for a machine made by a company that is
out of business...

And this has nothing to do with several posters concentrating on an
idler shaft that doesn't exist on my machine.

So how does this make me a troll?

Anyone who reads this thread can see I am not the one with a
comprehension problem.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************

Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 15, 9:52 pm, RoyJ wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
On Jun 15, 4:34 pm, RoyJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote in
:

,
on mine, range from 300 RPM to 4650 RPM in steps.

The slowest speed occurs with the motor pulley's V-belt on the
smallest of

the 5 steps [its top step] driving the idler pulley's largest step
[its to

step] and the idler pulley's smallest step [its bottom step] driving
the spindle pulley's largest step [its bottom step].

I added another picture to show the pulley housing only has a place
for two pulleys to fit on the motor and chuck spindle:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

NOW I can see what you meant: the motor pulley had just been "parked" in
the middle.

If that platform is sturdy enough, though, you can easily make it a 15-
speed by fabricating an idler arm and putting a pulley on it. grin

IOW, that's not a 5-speed but a 15-speed drillpress that you bought.
grin

Even the manual says it's a 5-speed:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf

No question, now. The longish belt is a dead giveaway.

To find a matching pulley for the motor, just measure the spindle
pulley and get another one like it.

You'll also need a least a pair of V-belts, too.

FWIW, I just bought a replacement belt for mine at an autoparts
store. grin

At lease I now know where to get spares. :-)

Especially if you don't have a Big Box Store handy.

You may be able to do some v-e-r-y slow speed drilling by simply
using the

bare motor shaft to drive the motor-to-idler V-belt connection but
you'll want to get a pulley for it if much torque is required.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
Whether or not I had the manual has nothing to do with the fact that I
didn't know where to get parts for a machine made by a company that is
out of business...

And this has nothing to do with several posters concentrating on an
idler shaft that doesn't exist on my machine.

So how does this make me a troll?

Anyone who reads this thread can see I am not the one with a
comprehension problem.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren - your attitude is not conducive to further help. If you know the
answers don't ask the questions. If someone tries to help, don't complain
about the help, particularly don't whine and say you already knew that.
You have received more than enough help from this group to answer every
question you asked, even though you wasted a lot of peoples time. Come back
when you have learned some social graces.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 writes:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action

How strong is that middle shaft that the pulley is resting on?
If it was 5-speed, the pully belongs on the motor shaft, AFAICT.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That piece in the lower left is the mount for the table. The two curved
things are the guides for the swiveling table.

It probably bolts to the two diagonal holes on the c frame behind the lower
guides.

Somewhere around here, I have a pair of very similar swivels off a 4" wood
jointer.
I will rummage around for them. Measure yours and get back to me. If they
are the same, you might be able to use them to build a table.

Paul K. Dickman

I see a lot of differences. And I don't yet know what the piece on the
lower left of this pic is for:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=Bandsaw6.jpg

As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 2:11 am, "William Noble" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

Whether or not I had the manual has nothing to do with the fact that I
didn't know where to get parts for a machine made by a company that is
out of business...

And this has nothing to do with several posters concentrating on an
idler shaft that doesn't exist on my machine.

So how does this make me a troll?

Anyone who reads this thread can see I am not the one with a
comprehension problem.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren - your attitude is not conducive to further help.

My attitude? How do you figure that?

If you know the answers don't ask the questions.

Point to any question I aksed but already knew the answer to.

If someone tries to help, don't complain about the help,

Point to where I complained about the help.

particularly don't whine and say you already knew that.

Whine? What did I say I already know?

You have received more than enough help from this group to answer every question you asked,

You sure?

even though you wasted a lot of peoples time.

Oh. So you're saying I was wasting everyone's time trying to
understand why you thought I needed three pulleys in a drill press
made for two? And I guess that Flash wasted even more time because he
had to copy himself and repost in an attempt to get you and RoyJ to
understand I didn't need a third pulley, after you ignored Winston's
posting of the PDF manual at the beginning of the thread. My
subsequent posting of the manual, and my posting of links to pictures
I took of the drill press. Even Jesse tried to inform you of the
facts. I wasn't the one wasting every one's time...

Come back when you have learned some social graces.

Your definition of "social graces"? I get called a troll for pointing
out errors. I convey my displeasure with being called a troll, and as
a result you say I'm complaining about the help.

Your tenuous grasp on reality is astounding.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 7:01*am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Searcher7 writes:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action

How strong is that middle shaft that the pulley is resting on?
If it was 5-speed, the pully belongs on the motor shaft, AFAICT.

Very funny.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks a lot.

Those two holes are 2-3/4" from center to center.(And 5/8" from the
edges).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

lower left of this pic is for:http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action...

As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************************

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 writes:

On Jun 16, 7:01Â*am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Searcher7 writes:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action

How strong is that middle shaft that the pulley is resting on?
If it was 5-speed, the pully belongs on the motor shaft, AFAICT.

Very funny.

It wasn't meant to be.

I can't tell from the photo if the pulley in the middle is attached to
anything or if it's jiggling around loose.

If it's attached to a rod in the middle, and the third pulley is
missing, then it's not a 5 speed, and it's missing a pulley.

If it's loose, it is a 5-speed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 writes:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action

How strong is that middle shaft that the pulley is resting on?
If it was 5-speed, the pully belongs on the motor shaft, AFAICT.

Very funny.

It wasn't meant to be.

I can't tell from the photo if the pulley in the middle is attached to
anything or if it's jiggling around loose.

If it's attached to a rod in the middle, and the third pulley is
missing, then it's not a 5 speed, and it's missing a pulley.

If it's loose, it is a 5-speed.

The pulley is not exactly centered. And the belt would be considered
too big if it was for a jackshaft.

But the problem was the number of times I and others told certain
posters, along with the initial PDF manual posting, and specifically
the picture *without* the pulley present. After all this certain
posters still would not understand, and I was ostracized for trying to
explain what I had.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maxwell Lol wrote:
Searcher7 writes:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...rill_Press.pdf
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Tools/?action

How strong is that middle shaft that the pulley is resting on?
If it was 5-speed, the pully belongs on the motor shaft, AFAICT.

Not very strong as it turns out.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...=DPHousing.jpg

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Darren;

I sent an email but it got bounced back.

Those aren't the measurements I need.
Measure the curved parts. width, length, estimated radius of curve. Maybe
some photos with a ruler.

The pieces I have would mate up with those curved pieces and then you could
bolt a table to them.

Shoot me an email from a working address and we can take this off list.

Paul K. Dickman

"Searcher7" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I posted photos he http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

The part is 10" at it's longest.

The body is 3" wide.

And the curved portion is 3-1/4"(x 1-1/8").

The curve itself is about 2-3/4"(11/16 of a 4" diameter circle). The
rails are 1/4" wide.

The thickness of the part varies.

E-mail sent.

Thanks.