Silvan

Default Christmas gloats...

Stephen M wrote:

I think that was a very stealthful drive-by gloat :-)

Good catch.

Why so it was, I suppose. It was a long time ago. I know 10 years is
nothing to many here, but there's a big difference between 22 and 32.

A lot has changed in 10 years. Mostly, I appreciate Renee a lot more now
than I did then. I sure never planned the way any of that happened, but I
can't imagine what I'd be doing with my life right now if it hadn't.

I'll be sure to tell her that come next January... January... 10th? 20th?
Oh hell. LOL!

Oh, and BTW, a real gloat... SWMBO says to me "Honey, I've been thinking
about buying you a scroll saw."

That wasn't on my list, or even on my mind, really. That came from left
field. It probably means she wants me to make her something with it, but
I'll be glad to. It's sitting in the dining room right now with a big bow
on it. Delta 16" VS, probably not top of the line, but I asked about it a
bit back and it seems this will be a nice little critter to have around the
shop. She paid for it with her money, and she earns a lot less than I do,
so that took some doing.

Yeah, I'd say that's a gloat.

(And all I got her were some stupid clothes and some stupid little pieces of
rock and metal with no power cords and no moving parts... How boring!)

Having a wife who puts up with me is a gloat too. I'm not easy to live
with, and we both know it. She loves me pretty much unconditionally. I'll
never understand it, but it sure is nice.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Default WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS 1

Silvan writes:

SWMBO does the craft show thing, and she uses a lot of Chiwanese
baskets. I've been thinking for years I could make something better.
Maybe you can talk me out of even thinking about trying, or talk me into a
new tool. Whichever.

Just use willow. No new tools needed. How's that for disappointment.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Just use willow. No new tools needed. How's that for disappointment.

Big disappointment. I have a willow tree, so there's not even an excuse to
buy wood.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

R2D2

Expert Woodworker wrote in
.95:

WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS - Episode 1

Hi. I am woodworker with over 40 years of professional experience. I
am posting this series of episodes to help new woodworkers with some
basics that most newbies are confused about.

POWER TOOLS: Most new woodworkers are very confused about their first
tool purchases. There is temptation to buy cheap, inferior stuff when
you are new because you don't want to invest that much in an activity
that you may not be very good at. Woodworking, IMHO, does require a
natural talent and you need to spend a fair amount of time woodworking
before you would know if you have this talent. But, if you buy the
cheapest tools you can find, you will probably get discouraged before
you go very far.

Then you will have the self-procalimed experts (like some of the
regulars of this newsgroup) who will tell you to start out with only
the best. This is nothing but pure liquid hogwash! There is no reason
you need to blow your life savings on power tools to get started as a
woodworker.

Episode 1 - YOUR OWN SHOP FOR UNDER $500:

I have put together a list of medium-caliber power tools that would
make a great first inventory of woodworkers tools. Each of these tools
has been tested and inspected by me. I bought all of the following
tools for my eldest grandson for his Christmas present, so you can see
that I am not suggesting these items out of my butt.

THE LIST:

$119 US General - TABLE SAW (with stand)

$79.99 Chicago Electric - 3 HP PLUNGE ROUTER

$24.99 Chicago Electric - 1/2'' VARIABLE SPEED REVERSIBLE HAMMER DRILL

$49.99 Dewalt - 1/4 SHEET HEAVY DUTY PALM GRIP SANDER
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1284

$39.99 Central Pneumatic - 1/4'' AIR SCREWDRIVER

$6.49 Chicago Electric - GLUE GUN

$39.99 Chicago Electric - BISCUIT JOINER KIT

$39.99 Wagner - POWER PAINTER

$34.99 Chicago Electric - 7-1/4'' CIRCULAR SAW

You will want to buy better blades for the 2 saws, but that should
bring your grand total to about $500, shipped. Keep in mind, this is
not high end stuff, but then again is is not the bottom of the barrel.
You can check around the HF site, but I would go with the list above.
They sell cheaper models for almost each tool on the list, but these
have all been tested by a professional with more than 40 years
experience, yours truly!

IN THE NEXT EPISODE 2: How to use your table saw

What happened to episode 2? I have a new Unisaw awaiting your instructions.

Unisaw A100

Default WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS 2

IN THE NEXT EPISODE 2: How to use your table saw

What happened to episode 2? I have a new Unisaw awaiting your instructions.

Plug it in.

Turn it on.

Cut some wood.

IN THE NEXT EPISODE 3: How to use your shop vac

Chris

R2D2 wrote in message ...
Expert Woodworker wrote in
.95:

WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS - Episode 1

IN THE NEXT EPISODE 2: How to use your table saw

What happened to episode 2? I have a new Unisaw awaiting your instructions.

I am sure you will be disappointed. The sequel is never as good as the original.

-Chris
Mike G

I am sure you will be disappointed. The sequel is never as good as the
original.

-Chris

And that wasn't much good to start with

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net

Roy Neudecker

In article , Unisaw A100
writes:

Plug it in.

Turn it on.

Cut some wood.

IN THE NEXT EPISODE 3: How to use your shop vac

Did he just out do Episode 1?

Yes . . . . . I think he did . . . . .he did!

Roy