Ksu93dlv

Default Drill Press: Grizzly vs Delta?

I have my eye on a couple drill presses and I'd appreciate input regarding
quality and comparisons:

Delta DP30 12" variable speed
Grizzly G7943 14" 12-speed

The prices are similar (actually the Grizzly is a bit cheaper), so that's not
much of a concern. I just want o know which is better and why. Or if neither is
any good, what would you recommend instead for around $200?
Sweet Sawdust

Grizzly has a problem with the depth gauge, it will sometimes drift from the
depth you set it for (only a problem if you are doing large numbers of
holes) . The delta seems to have a good depth gauge. Otherwise I like the
Grizzly better.
"Ksu93dlv" wrote in message
I have my eye on a couple drill presses and I'd appreciate input regarding
quality and comparisons:

Delta DP30 12" variable speed
Grizzly G7943 14" 12-speed

The prices are similar (actually the Grizzly is a bit cheaper), so that's

not
much of a concern. I just want o know which is better and why. Or if

neither is
any good, what would you recommend instead for around $200?

Scott Wilson

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message ...
Grizzly has a problem with the depth gauge, it will sometimes drift from the
depth you set it for (only a problem if you are doing large numbers of
holes) . The delta seems to have a good depth gauge. Otherwise I like the
Grizzly better.

They may have changed the depth gauge since you bought yours. Mine has
a threaded rod on the left side. Once the nuts are tightened I don't
see how it would be a problem.

I like my grizzly a lot, and would recommend it for someone looking in
the $200 range.

Tom Kohlman

Whanna trade? Delta dial was accurate, easy to set up (lower the bit to
touch the wood, then dial in the depth from there and lock it in) and never
strayed from where I put it. Now I have the threaded rod on the bigger
Delta that doesn't take much pressure to get the stop to bypass the threads.

[...]

Is Drill Doctor worth the price???? Harry Conover Metalworking 33 April 6th 04 02:41 PM
Old Delta drill press part?? gattman Metalworking 4 March 28th 04 09:41 PM
Tool sharpening in general ss Metalworking 4 October 28th 03 12:55 PM
Need help identifying old Delta Drill Press & need chuck key Larry Webb Metalworking 5 October 14th 03 03:53 PM