john moorhead

Default Gloat Vote follow up on General TS

Folks -

Okay, the saw is all set up and I am one HAPPY camper! Here's what I got
and what I paid? Gloat or no, whatcha think?

General 350 10" RT tablesaw w/extension legs, magnetic switch, 3 HP (Leeson)
, about 10 years old, home use - purdy good shape - 'cept for a couple of
scratches in the table
50" Bies Commercial Fence - face had some saw marks
Accu-miter miter guage with 36" adjustable fence and stop - new
HTC Extended Mobile Base - new

I got the whole shabang for $1,000.... If'n I had purchased new everything
would have come to almost $2,900, tho' that would have been discounted by a
bit, one would imagine.

The saw passes the "nickel test" starting and stopping even on the mobile
base.

Did I find a treasure or get taken???

More to come!

John Moorhead

Mark Jerde

john moorhead wrote:

Did I find a treasure or get taken???

You got taken. g In the shop of my dreams there are (at least) two table
saws. The one for cutting sheet goods is of course left tilt and has a 50"+
fence system. The crosscut table is mounted on a right-tilt table saw.

I'm willing to take this mistake off your hands for $800.

-- Mark

SawEyes

Early Xmas pressie hey! :-)
Nice pickup.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski, RN. BNurs (QUT) PGDipSci(HMS)
Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com
The Woodworker's Product Review Resource Online!
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:19:47 GMT, "john moorhead"
wrote:

Folks -

Okay, the saw is all set up and I am one HAPPY camper! Here's what I got
and what I paid? Gloat or no, whatcha think?

Gloat away!

I have a new General 650, the left tilt version of the 350, on the
way. I've looked for a used Unisaw, PM66, 350, or Jet for about 2
years. All I've found were unisaws for $100 less than new, and
Grizzly saws for _more_ than new. Since I've gone for a new saw, a
good used cabinet saw, at a great price, will appear in the local
bargain shoppers next week. G

Since I ended up going new, I compared the Grizz, PM66, X5 Unisaw,
Jet and General via personal inspection. I was able to play and cut
with all 5. My local school has both the Jet and Unisaw, buddies have
the 66 and the Grizz, and a local shop has a 350. The Grizz was a
bit below par, and the other 4 have a long history of support and
parts availability. The General sang to me, so that's the winner, but
in reality, 4 were excellent, the Grizz was a very small notch below,
when it came to cutting wood.

My Jet contractor's saw has served me well for years, but I have two
substantial projects due where I need a 50" fence and a larger table.

FWIW, There will soon be a Jet 10" CS for sale in excellent shape,
with link belt and outfeed table, in CT. G

Barry

Brian

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote in message . ..

The Grizz was a
bit below par, and the other 4 have a long history of support and
parts availability.... the Grizz was a very small notch below,
when it came to cutting wood.

What does this mean? I'm very curious to hear your specific
comparative observations on the Grizzly's performance in "cutting
wood" versus the other machines. From everything else that I have
ever gathered, the fit and finish, trunions, and castings of the PM66
and General saws are indeed superior to that of the Grizzly (or the
Uni and Jet in some of those areas for that matter too). However, I'm
not convinced this translates into improved woodworking performance,
everything being equal (blades, belts, etc). But will the Grizzly
stand the test of time like these others, though? Perhaps not. But
who knows.

Brian.
Brian

The Grizz was a
bit below par, and the other 4 have a long history of support and
parts availability.... the Grizz was a very small notch below,
when it came to cutting wood.

What does this mean?

Blade marks on the wood caused by slight vibrations or runout.

Ok a slight vibration I can understand. The runout on the Grizzly's is
typically as good or better than even the PM66, though.

Thanks.

Brian.

I ain't No senator's son... Gunner Metalworking 1 February 9th 04 06:56 AM
Follow up on purchase of used General 350 Table Saw - not the gloat vote, yet! john moorhead Woodworking 4 December 10th 03 04:41 PM
Did I get a deal? Please VOTE on my GLOAT! john moorhead Woodworking 7 December 8th 03 01:58 AM
Gloat, gloat, gloat Joe C Woodworking 10 October 24th 03 12:24 AM
Band saws: General 270 or Mini Max MM16 JP Woodworking 1 July 23rd 03 10:51 PM