Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lowes "Cabinet Grade" hardwood plywood

Well I was in BORG yesterday and Lowes today checking out their
hardwood plywood. My local borg has C-3 Oak and Birch Ply for 46 bucks
a sheet. Lowes has "Cabinet Grade" maple/birch and oak ply for 47. NO
edgestamps on the plywood to really tell me about grades. So I ask the
guys loading it up, what the grade is since there is no edge stamp,
and they look at me like I am dumb..."Everything you need to know is
on that placard" Um no. "Well cabinet grade means its top of the
line"..Erm well is it AA, A, B CD or E? "Huh? I says cabinet grade
thats the best". Sigh....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:02:53 -0700 (PDT), depictureboy
wrote:

Well I was in BORG yesterday and Lowes today checking out their
hardwood plywood.
__ SNIP __
? "Huh? I says cabinet grade
thats the best". Sigh....

Why torture yourself?

Simply deal with a real dealer and heal thyself! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote:

Why torture yourself?

Simply deal with a real dealer and heal thyself! G

Amen Bro.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 6:02*pm, depictureboy wrote:
Well I was in BORG yesterday and Lowes today checking out their
hardwood plywood. My local borg has C-3 Oak and Birch Ply for 46 bucks
a sheet. Lowes has "Cabinet Grade" maple/birch and oak ply for 47. NO
edgestamps on the plywood to really tell me about grades. So I ask the
guys loading it up, what the grade is since there is no edge stamp,
and they look at me like I am dumb..."Everything you need to know is
on that placard" Um no. "Well cabinet grade means its top of the
line"..Erm well is it AA, A, B CD or E? "Huh? I says cabinet grade
thats the best". Sigh....

I'm no apologist for HD or the like, but I'm not sure I've ever seen
the A-B-C-D grades applied to hardwood veneer plywood--only to the
constrruction grade product. I believe the letters refer to the
quality of the two faces, with A sutiable for paint.

I'm guessing that "Cabinte grade" just means that it has a hardwood
veneer on at least one side, suitable for clear finishes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ed_h" wrote in message
[...]

No, the hardwood plywood folks use letter grades and number grades. The
letter grades apply to the good face while the number grades apply to the
bad face. And, you can buy hardwood plywood which is good on both faces.
You will pay lots more for A-A grade.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well I was in BORG yesterday and Lowes today checking out their
hardwood plywood.
__ SNIP __
? "Huh? I says cabinet grade
thats the best". Sigh....

Why torture yourself?

Simply deal with a real dealer and heal thyself! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Yeah and you still might get it cheaper depending on what you
need.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 10:27*pm, "Jim" wrote:
"ed_h" wrote in message

[...]

This was an edgestamp. Not a facestamp. Hardwood plywood is
edgestamped. Construction grade is face stamped usually with 2
letters. Hardwood has a letter and number...At least thats what I have
been reading in several woodworking books. One by popular woodworking
has an entire grid detailing what each means. It also details the
grades for softwood construction plywood. Just fyi..

For instance my local dealer carries B1 for about 100 bucks a sheet.
Home depot was C3 for bout 45. Lowes wasnt marked, which from what I
have read means its not really graded, because the grading is ?
required?. I am not sure if that is correct.
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Almost) Every time I go into Lowes or Home Depot and ask a question,
I wind up asking the fellow (the lladies don't seem to fall into this
category) "What are the three (3) most important words in retail?"

This, after listening to his answer to my initial question only to
realize - sometimes after a full minute or more of "answer -" that he
doesn't have a clue and is fabricating his answer out of whole cloth
based upon his six months' experience ar Lowes or HD (or Staples,
Office Depot, the list goes on) and two recent "Product Classes" he
attended much as he did his High School Calculus.

"No, what are they," is the typical response - or words to that
effect.

To which I reply, "the three most important words in Retail are I,
don't, know." Excuse the contraction - never noticed that 'till now.

And, I follow it up with "The next (four) most important words to
learn and practice are "But I'll find out."

They seldom do

On Mar 30, 8:02 pm, depictureboy wrote:
Well I was in BORG yesterday and Lowes today checking out their
hardwood plywood. My local borg has C-3 Oak and Birch Ply for 46 bucks
a sheet. Lowes has "Cabinet Grade" maple/birch and oak ply for 47. NO
edgestamps on the plywood to really tell me about grades. So I ask the
guys loading it up, what the grade is since there is no edge stamp,
and they look at me like I am dumb..."Everything you need to know is
on that placard" Um no. "Well cabinet grade means its top of the
line"..Erm well is it AA, A, B CD or E? "Huh? I says cabinet grade
thats the best". Sigh....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"depictureboy" wrote in message
On Mar 30, 10:27 pm, "Jim" wrote:
"ed_h" wrote in message

[...]

The grading is not required. However, nobody makes you buy ungraded
plywood.
The sheet of "cabinet grade" oak plywood that I bought from Lowe's was
marked C-2.
This was the first time that I have seen a sheet at Lowes that had any sort
of grading.
If you carefully select the sheets, you can find one which is acceptable for
cabinetry.
None of the sheets are furniture grade though. For such as that, I would
want A-2 or
better. There is an AA grade for the face veneer.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.awi-wa.com/_hidden/hardplyansi.htm

All plywood products have a "grade"...

Cabinet Grade is a "term" not a "grade".

ed_h wrote:

I'm no apologist for HD or the like, but I'm not sure I've ever seen
the A-B-C-D grades applied to hardwood veneer plywood--only to the
constrruction grade product. I believe the letters refer to the
quality of the two faces, with A sutiable for paint.

I'm guessing that "Cabinte grade" just means that it has a hardwood
veneer on at least one side, suitable for clear finishes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 10:27 pm, "Jim" wrote:

"ed_h" wrote in message

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

However, nobody makes you buy ungraded
plywood.

Nope and I walked right out of there without any. hehe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bigpole" wrote in message
There's only one grade for that oak and birch plywood at Home Depot and
Lowe's and that is the grade "crap".
The plywood delaminates and warps.

My local Lowe's hardwood plywood is marked on the edge that it is made in
China. I don't know how THAT can be cost effective, even if I wasn't
worried about what chemicals it contains. (You have seen the article on
fake chicken eggs from China, haven't you? 100% chemicals and NOT food
grade.)

If you want to see some NICE hardwood plywood and live in the SF Bay Area,
stop by Southern Lumber...not cheap but it is excellent quality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well I was in BORG yesterday and Lowes today checking out their
hardwood plywood.
__ SNIP __
? "Huh? I says cabinet grade
thats the best". Sigh....

Why torture yourself?

Simply deal with a real dealer and heal thyself! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

That's fine if you have one reasonably close to you.

Wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well I was in BORG yesterday and Lowes today checking out their
hardwood plywood.
__ SNIP __
? "Huh? I says cabinet grade
thats the best". Sigh....

Why torture yourself?
Simply deal with a real dealer and heal thyself! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

That's fine if you have one reasonably close to you.

Wayne

If you have Borgs, you have a dealer nearby.