James Cubby Culbertson

Default TS Splitter Question

Hiya All,
Just finished cutting about 200 strips of cherry and maple on the TS.
I was having trouble with burning on the cherry at first and
discovered that my splitter (stock model that came with my Jet
Contractor's saw) was pinching the board at the very back, causing the
board to be forced into the sawblade. Quickly corrected that and the
rest went fine.

It got me thinking that maybe I should look into an aftermarket
splitter. The JET one is pretty flimsy and I'm always having to mess
with adjustments. So I looked up the kerf of my blade and it's
0.134". I assume I should get a splitter with those same dimensions
right? Obviously, any larger wouldn't work but what about thinner? I
worry that thinner would allow the board to pinch a little and
possibly cause kickback. What's the "acceptable" tolerances of a
splitter? Any recommendations for an aftermarket splitter?

thanks very much.
cc

Mike Dembroge

I have a unisaw with the Biesemeyer Splitter. It pops in & out, so you can
remove it easily when doing dados, etc. I don't know if Biesemeyer makes a
version for the Jet Contractor saw, but if they do, I would recommend it.
It's way over-priced IMO though. I think I paid $125 for mine or something
like that.

[...]

charlie b

Woodman wrote:

You would want one slightly thinner, else it could be a real pain in the
rear end to align it exactly with your saw blade.

Forget thinner - defeats some of the purpose for the splitter.
Try filing a dull knife edge on the front edge.

charlie b
Howard Ruttan

"James Cubby Culbertson" wrote...
Any recommendations for an aftermarket splitter?

I have the Delta removable splitter. Costs around $35 and is easy to remove
and replace. Not sure it will work on a Jet though, but it is worth looking
into. Kelly Mehler wrote about it in the first FWW Tools and Shops issue
IIRC. I reviewed it on my web site and think it was the best investment
I've made for my saw since buying it.

--

Cheers,
Howard

Working wood in New Jersey -
Visit me in the woodshop -
www.inthewoodshop.org

ACID QUESTION my_2¢ Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 04:22 PM
OT - Norstar 3x8 phone system question Ryan Metalworking 10 November 8th 03 10:10 AM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM