Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fun with angled dovetails

A little while back I posted about doing angled dovetails at the
bandsaw. It works!

My main goal was to make a drawer where the front was at an angle, one
side of the drawer longer than the other. This will fit a natural
edge top that I want to use. In the Leigh angled dovetail guide this
is similar to example #3 except instead of both sides flaring out one
side goes out and one goes in.

http://krtwood.com/images/angledt1.jpg

The biggest problem I had was with my wheel marking gage, because of
the bevel it was impossible to mark the right depth on both sides. I
think a traditional marking gage would work fine, but I'll just use
the board itself and mark with a pencil next time.

It's done with two wedges, the bottom wedge matches the bevel angle on
the boards, the top wedge is the dovetail angle. To cut off the pins
the bottom wedge gets turned 90 degrees.

And while you've got the bottom wedge turned that way, you can also do
this other type of angled joint:

http://krtwood.com/images/angledt2.jpg

I didn't bother to bevel the edges of the pin board as this was just a
quick and dirty proof of concept. Same goes for the fit of both
joints, it was all done in a half hour before lunch But still a
whole lot better than a first attempt doing it all by hand would have
been. This is the same as Leigh example #1, but the tails are with
the grain instead of the goofy way it gets done with a router.

I'll post more details if there's interest when I actually have a full
understanding of it myself. Cutting one joint is one thing, cutting 4
that all assemble into something is another.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 4:57 pm, ROY! wrote:

Looking pretty good. Keep us informed of your progress.

Ditto! Love to see something that different around here.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:57:43 GMT, ROY! wrote:

Looking pretty good. Keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for looking,

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:02:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 19, 4:57 pm, ROY! wrote:

Looking pretty good. Keep us informed of your progress.

Ditto! Love to see something that different around here.

That's why I'm doing it in the first place. Something to keep me
having fun in between the wholesale orders. They already just put in
the next order before I even finished the last one. Not that I'm
complaining, they're the only ones actually selling anything right
now. But a man can only make so many little dovetailed cedar boxes in
a row before his head explodes

-Leuf