Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Angled dowel jig

I'm building a stair railing with three rails that has long balusters
between the lower two rails and short between the upper two. The
stairs have a landing so there's about a 10' section and a 4' section.

Here is a poor picture of the lower section:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~kmuldrew/woodworking/rail.jpg

For the smaller section I drilled dowel holes perpendicular to the
rails and the angled ends of the balusters. This didn't work well
because any clamping pressure immediately cantilevered the rails. It
took a lot of mashing with a mallet and the heel of my hand to get it
all together. For the longer section I want to drill the dowel holes
parallel to the ballusters. My plan is just to drill some guide holes
in a block at the appropriate angle and then clamp the block onto the
rails (and later onto the ends of the balusters). Does anyone have any
better ideas?

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Muldrew wrote:

snip

My plan is just to drill some guide holes
in a block at the appropriate angle and then clamp the block onto the
rails (and later onto the ends of the balusters). Does anyone have any
better ideas?

Drill the holes before cutting the angles on the balusters.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote:

Ken Muldrew wrote:

snip

My plan is just to drill some guide holes
in a block at the appropriate angle and then clamp the block onto the
rails (and later onto the ends of the balusters). Does anyone have any
better ideas?

Drill the holes before cutting the angles on the balusters.

Thank you, Jack, I will certainly do that.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:23:01 GMT, (Ken Muldrew)
wrote:

[...]

It *appears* that you have completed some task out of normal sequence.
From the pic it is hard to see much detail as it is from too far back.

Anyway, good luck.

Making a tapered dowel Norm Dresner Woodworking 12 May 4th 06 03:43 PM
Angled or Straight for trim work [email protected] Woodworking 5 April 7th 06 09:55 PM
Dowel Basics Relz Woodworking 1 March 10th 06 06:09 PM
Request for advice regarding cantilevered mounted bearing housing, deflections and shaft stresses John2005 Metalworking 12 November 11th 05 09:39 PM
When Is A Half Inch Dowel Not A Half Inch Dowel? Kevin Preston Woodworking 0 July 20th 03 02:42 PM