Old November 22nd 03, 07:20 AM
Silvan

Default Mibro dado set, good, bad, ugly?

I didn't turn up much on this set. One good, one bad, one neutral. I could
use a bigger sample.

I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now. I've
heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a living, but I
expect I will use the thing a great deal. Much of my saw work of late has
involved making many repeat passes to cut all of the things dado sets are
good for, and I think a dado set would quickly justify the hassle of
swapping it on and off.

Basically, two different but related questions here. First, why the $50
Mibro over the $20 HF, or vise versa? Second,is it better to get one of
these, or just continue to do without until I can afford something like the
Freud or Forrest?

Is that ~$95 Freud set at Lowe's pretty decent? POS that my TS is, I
wouldn't put a Forrest anything on it, and I do like my Freud combintion
blade.

Speaking of which... I happen to have two identical Freud blades... Could
I get by without a dado set a bit longer by putting both of them on the
arbor, separated by a washer or something? I could double the bite I take
on each pass at least, and maybe put off the need until I can afford a
quality set.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Old November 22nd 03, 04:54 PM
Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now.
I've heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a
living, but I expect I will use the thing a great deal.

Check the RPMs before you buy. My saw RPMs are higher than the HF's max
RPM.

-- Mark

Old November 22nd 03, 05:03 PM
Brian

The 8" Freud professional set is on sale now for 69.99.... I'd probably
stretch the extra 19.99 to get it...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...397358-9618504

Brian.

Old November 22nd 03, 05:10 PM
Mark Jerde

Brian wrote:
The 8" Freud professional set is on sale now for 69.99.... I'd
probably stretch the extra 19.99 to get it...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...397358-9618504

Brian.

This photo shows the max RPM is 9000, twice the 4500 (IIRC) of the HF set.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures

-- Mark

Old November 22nd 03, 05:10 PM
Lawrence L'Hote

"Silvan" wrote in message
I didn't turn up much on this set. One good, one bad, one neutral. I

could
use a bigger sample.

I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now. I've
heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a living, but I
expect I will use the thing a great deal.

The following is even better and it's in your price range. I did a
comparison with my Forrest dado stack and I think it(the HF) works better.
The HF has 6 teeth/chipper blade and the Forrest has 4/blade. The $20 HF
has 2 teeth/blade.

FWIW last month I promised some pictures of the comparison cuts but just
haven't got around to it(making Xmas gifts) but, maybe, the next week or
so.....

Larry

--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Old November 22nd 03, 07:38 PM
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I haven't bought ANY Mibro products that was what I call "high
quality".

Old November 23rd 03, 04:45 AM
Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

Check the RPMs before you buy. My saw RPMs are higher than the HF's max
RPM.

Good point. Probably not an issue, since I have a cheapass TS. Can't say
what it is off hand, but every blade I've looked at was rated much higher
than this thing can do. Still definitely worth a look though.

Old November 23rd 03, 04:56 AM
Silvan

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

The following is even better and it's in your price range. I did a

$50 was a pretty firm and painful top limit, so this definitely bears
consideration.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Old November 23rd 03, 04:49 PM
Jim K

This seems to answer a question I had thought about posting. At the
Big Lots store nearby they have a few Mibro drill bits (7/8" for $4)
and I was wondering about quality. Most of the Big Lot stuff is junk
but they occasionally have good quality closeouts. Sandvik chisel set
for $8 and Vermont American countersinking set for $4 are examples.

I was wondering if Mibro was good closeout stuff or just cheap stuff.
I'm guessing it's cheap stuff.

Old November 23rd 03, 05:37 PM

wrote:

I haven't bought ANY Mibro products that was what I call "high
quality".

ayup! i bought some mibro router bits at big lots a few years back.
they were CHEAP and CHEEP. they were only a dollar apiece and almost
worth that. threw most of em away. if the dado set is no better than
the bits [and it probly aint] i would leave em on the shelf.
skeez