Silvan

Default Mibro dado set, good, bad, ugly?

I didn't turn up much on this set. One good, one bad, one neutral. I could
use a bigger sample.

I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now. I've
heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a living, but I
expect I will use the thing a great deal. Much of my saw work of late has
involved making many repeat passes to cut all of the things dado sets are
good for, and I think a dado set would quickly justify the hassle of
swapping it on and off.

Basically, two different but related questions here. First, why the $50
Mibro over the $20 HF, or vise versa? Second,is it better to get one of
these, or just continue to do without until I can afford something like the
Freud or Forrest?

Is that ~$95 Freud set at Lowe's pretty decent? POS that my TS is, I
wouldn't put a Forrest anything on it, and I do like my Freud combintion
blade.

Speaking of which... I happen to have two identical Freud blades... Could
I get by without a dado set a bit longer by putting both of them on the
arbor, separated by a washer or something? I could double the bite I take
on each pass at least, and maybe put off the need until I can afford a
quality set.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now.
I've heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a
living, but I expect I will use the thing a great deal.

Check the RPMs before you buy. My saw RPMs are higher than the HF's max
RPM.

-- Mark

Brian

The 8" Freud professional set is on sale now for 69.99.... I'd probably
stretch the extra 19.99 to get it...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...397358-9618504

Brian.

"Silvan" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Jerde

Brian wrote:
The 8" Freud professional set is on sale now for 69.99.... I'd
probably stretch the extra 19.99 to get it...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...397358-9618504

Brian.

This photo shows the max RPM is 9000, twice the 4500 (IIRC) of the HF set.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures

-- Mark

Lawrence L'Hote

"Silvan" wrote in message
I didn't turn up much on this set. One good, one bad, one neutral. I

could
use a bigger sample.

I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now. I've
heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a living, but I
expect I will use the thing a great deal.

The following is even better and it's in your price range. I did a
comparison with my Forrest dado stack and I think it(the HF) works better.
The HF has 6 teeth/chipper blade and the Forrest has 4/blade. The $20 HF
has 2 teeth/blade.

FWIW last month I promised some pictures of the comparison cuts but just
haven't got around to it(making Xmas gifts) but, maybe, the next week or
so.....

Larry

--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Lawrence A. Ramsey

I haven't bought ANY Mibro products that was what I call "high
quality".

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:20:11 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

[...]

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

Check the RPMs before you buy. My saw RPMs are higher than the HF's max
RPM.

Good point. Probably not an issue, since I have a cheapass TS. Can't say
what it is off hand, but every blade I've looked at was rated much higher
than this thing can do. Still definitely worth a look though.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

The following is even better and it's in your price range. I did a

$50 was a pretty firm and painful top limit, so this definitely bears
consideration.

Thanks for mentioning it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Jim K

This seems to answer a question I had thought about posting. At the
Big Lots store nearby they have a few Mibro drill bits (7/8" for $4)
and I was wondering about quality. Most of the Big Lot stuff is junk
but they occasionally have good quality closeouts. Sandvik chisel set
for $8 and Vermont American countersinking set for $4 are examples.

I was wondering if Mibro was good closeout stuff or just cheap stuff.
I'm guessing it's cheap stuff.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:38:51 -0600, Lawrence A. Ramsey
wrote:

I haven't bought ANY Mibro products that was what I call "high
quality".

wrote:

I haven't bought ANY Mibro products that was what I call "high
quality".

ayup! i bought some mibro router bits at big lots a few years back.
they were CHEAP and CHEEP. they were only a dollar apiece and almost
worth that. threw most of em away. if the dado set is no better than
the bits [and it probly aint] i would leave em on the shelf.
skeez

BigDog

Brian wrote in rec.woodworking

The 8" Freud professional set is on sale now for 69.99.... I'd
probably stretch the extra 19.99 to get it...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...102-7397358-96
18504

Brian.

"Silvan" wrote in message
[...]

I have the Mibro 8" dado set and have had nothing but positive
experiances with it. Comes with a fancy little wood case too.

BigDog
--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.