Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tablesaw Question

I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune. I would prefer to stay
in the $1000 - 15000 range so I'm looking for a good used saw. I will
use it mostly for ripping and dados but would like to build some
cabinets as well. I ran across a 2 hp Jet with a HTC Biesemer clone
fence and Osborne miter and extension table for $650. He calls it a
cabinet saw but I believe it would be classed as a hybrid. The price
is tempting but I wonder if I would find myself regretting it like I
did the Craftsman. Would you guys think I would be happy with this saw
for my use or should I keep looking for something better ( I'm really
not in a big hurry since I haven't even run power to my new shop yet)?
Thanks - look forward to your comments.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

If your limit is $1500 you can get a new Grizzly cabinet saw for that price
range. $650 for a hybrid in good shape with 2 hp is also a decent deal. I
wonder why he is getting rid of the saw? The fence will be good, I have had
issues with a miter gauge upgrade when I, for a very short, time owned the
Osborne miter gauge. IIRC Osborn no longer sells that triangular gauge.
Delta sells a copy version of it and may have even bought the rights to the
gauge. Basically the gauge has problems with holding a ridged 45 degree
setting when the telescoping adjustment rod is extended to the farthest 45
degree setting. The telescoping bar can be wiggled back and forth and that
causes the fence to move a few degrees. Anyway even with out the miter
gauge the $650 sounds decent.
If you think that you will increase your usage and want to buy your last
saw, this may not be the saw for you. A true cabinet saw is going to
satisfy most any ones needs for a very long time. A true cabinet saw is
going to require a 220 volt receptacle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 7:53*am, (Tom) wrote:
I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune. I would prefer to stay
in the $1000 - 15000 range so I'm looking for a good used saw. I will
use it mostly for ripping and dados but would like to build some
cabinets as well. I ran across a 2 hp Jet with a HTC Biesemer clone
fence and Osborne miter and extension table for $650. He calls it a
cabinet saw but I believe it would be classed as a hybrid. The price
is tempting but I wonder if I would find myself regretting it like I
did the Craftsman. Would you guys think I would be happy with this saw
for my use or should I keep looking for something better ( I'm really
not in a big hurry since I haven't even run power to my new shop yet)?
Thanks - look forward to your comments.

Try looking at the Steel City line of Table Saws. I picked up the 1.75
HP Cabinet saw and am VERY happy with it. They have a 3 HP Cabinet
close to your upper limit. Their mail in rebates are ending at the end
of this month FYI.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 8:53 am, (Tom) wrote:
I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune. I would prefer to stay
in the $1000 - 15000 range so I'm looking for a good used saw. I will
use it mostly for ripping and dados but would like to build some
cabinets as well. I ran across a 2 hp Jet with a HTC Biesemer clone
fence and Osborne miter and extension table for $650. He calls it a
cabinet saw but I believe it would be classed as a hybrid. The price
is tempting but I wonder if I would find myself regretting it like I
did the Craftsman. Would you guys think I would be happy with this saw
for my use or should I keep looking for something better ( I'm really
not in a big hurry since I haven't even run power to my new shop yet)?
Thanks - look forward to your comments.

My budget was similar to yours and I bought a new Powermatic 64A with
a 52" table. The "A" stands for artisan, but that's a another way to
say "contractor's saw." The saw comes with a lot of features you'd
want in a Powermatic cabinet saw without the Powermatic cabinet price.
I'll never stand a nickel on its edge while the saw is running, but
that desire never drove my purchasing decision. The saw ships wired
for a 15 amp line but it can be rewired for more power. Just a
thought.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

(Tom) wrote:

I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune.

IMHO, "It's the fence stupid", to paraphrase J Carvelle in the 1992
election, applies.

Most anything works for the saw, but it's the fence that rules.

I have a Unifence, think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Others have a different opinion of what is a good fence, however, a good
fence still rules.

Plan to operate at 240V if you truly want to take advantage of the saw's
capabilities.

Have fun looking.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 13:56:28 GMT, "joe" wrote:

You can get an awful lot of saw for $15,000.

Guess that would cover a pretty broad range. LOL Guess my trigger
finger got a little itchy.

jc

"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote in message
t...
I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune. I would prefer to stay
in the $1000 - 15000 range

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:18:41 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

Divorce is forcing the sale of his house so he's liquidating his shop.
Apparently you feel the fence would be good? That was my biggest
complaint with the Craftsman - never would line up straight. Can you
expound on your "increased usage" comment as this is my concern - will
it be a saw that I will be satisfied with from now on? I doubt I'll
ever reach the point of mass producing anything - just hobby
construction of shelving, cabinets, cutting boards, lawn chairs, boxes
etc. 220 is not a problem. I appreciate your in-depth comments.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:18:12 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

(Tom) wrote:

I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune.

IMHO, "It's the fence stupid", to paraphrase J Carvelle in the 1992
election, applies.

Most anything works for the saw, but it's the fence that rules.

I have a Unifence, think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Others have a different opinion of what is a good fence, however, a good
fence still rules.

Plan to operate at 240V if you truly want to take advantage of the saw's
capabilities.

Have fun looking.

Lew

I agree. I hated the fence on my Craftsman - had to move a tape to
front and rear of the blade while SLOWLY tightening the clamp or else
it would get cockeyed. Don't know much about the HTC but is supposed
to be a Biesemeyer clone. Any opinions?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote in message
Don't know much about the HTC but is supposed
to be a Biesemeyer clone. Any opinions?

My only experience with the HTC was to play with one in the Woodcraft store.
Seemed like it was as sturdy and accurate as the Bies. I love my Bies and I
think you'll like the HTC as much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 8:53 am, (Tom) wrote:
I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune. I would prefer to stay
in the $1000 - 15000 range so I'm looking for a good used saw. I will
use it mostly for ripping and dados but would like to build some
cabinets as well. I ran across a 2 hp Jet with a HTC Biesemer clone
fence and Osborne miter and extension table for $650. He calls it a
cabinet saw but I believe it would be classed as a hybrid. The price
is tempting but I wonder if I would find myself regretting it like I
did the Craftsman. Would you guys think I would be happy with this saw
for my use or should I keep looking for something better ( I'm really
not in a big hurry since I haven't even run power to my new shop yet)?
Thanks - look forward to your comments.

I have the 3HP Steel City Hybrid table saw. It's not a bad saw
but I wince every time I hear the squeaky contractor saw
quality raising/lowering gears (which I have taken completely
apart and graphited until I'm the color of a pencil lead) and
every time I turn on the saw and listen to the squeal of
the single ribbed drive belt (which SC Customer service
says is normal). I wince when I realize that for the money I
paid I could have purchased a Grizzly cabinet saw with 3
3 drive belts and heavy trunnions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote:

I agree. I hated the fence on my Craftsman - had to move a tape to
front and rear of the blade while SLOWLY tightening the clamp or else
it would get cockeyed. Don't know much about the HTC but is supposed
to be a Biesemeyer clone. Any opinions?

I already gave you the only opinion I'm qualified to giveG.

Don't know doo doo about Biesemeyer.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

REMOVE Tom wrote:

I agree. I hated the fence on my Craftsman - had to move a tape to
front and rear of the blade while SLOWLY tightening the clamp or else
it would get cockeyed. Don't know much about the HTC but is supposed
to be a Biesemeyer clone. Any opinions?

I have the Jet branded HTC-900 Commercial fence with the micro-adjuster
which Jet sold/sells as an option for their saws as a "Deluxe" fence.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=6160

It's a great fence.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 7:53*am, (Tom) wrote:
I'm in the market for a table saw and based on an old Craftsman I had
I want to buy a quality unit with a good fence but since it's mostly
for hobby work I don't want to spend a fortune. I would prefer to stay
in the $1000 - 15000 range so I'm looking for a good used saw. I will
use it mostly for ripping and dados but would like to build some
cabinets as well. I ran across a 2 hp Jet with a HTC Biesemer clone
fence and Osborne miter and extension table for $650. He calls it a
cabinet saw but I believe it would be classed as a hybrid. The price
is tempting but I wonder if I would find myself regretting it like I
did the Craftsman. Would you guys think I would be happy with this saw
for my use or should I keep looking for something better ( I'm really
not in a big hurry since I haven't even run power to my new shop yet)?
Thanks - look forward to your comments.

If you can spend about $1,565. you can get a gen-u-wine factory
reconditioned Unisaw with a brand new Biesemeyer fence delivered to
your door.
See http://www.redmond-machinery.com/tab...onditioned.htm
I never found any evidence that mine was ever used at all.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:21:25 -0800 (PST), DonkeyHody
wrote:

On Mar 8, 7:53*am, (Tom) wrote:
[...]

That's worth looking at - thanks for the lead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote in message

Divorce is forcing the sale of his house so he's liquidating his shop.
Apparently you feel the fence would be good? That was my biggest
complaint with the Craftsman - never would line up straight. Can you
expound on your "increased usage" comment as this is my concern - will
it be a saw that I will be satisfied with from now on? I doubt I'll
ever reach the point of mass producing anything - just hobby
construction of shelving, cabinets, cutting boards, lawn chairs, boxes
etc. 220 is not a problem. I appreciate your in-depth comments.

I had a 1hp Craftsman for about 17 years and had tweaked it to the max so to
speak. It had the Jet Biese clone and that was a remarkable improvement but
when I up graded to a true cabinet saw nothing could be blamed on the saw
any more. The cabinet saws are rock solid and produce great results
providing they are properly tuned to start with. Hybrids have not been
around long enough to know how long they will actually last. They are not
built as robust where the trunion is concerned. I set my new cabinet saw up
about 8 years ago and it sets on a mobile base. I move it in and out every
time that I use it and to this day has never had to be readjusted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

If you can spend about $1,565. you can get a gen-u-wine factory
reconditioned Unisaw with a brand new Biesemeyer fence delivered to
your door.
See http://www.redmond-machinery.com/tab...onditioned.htm
I never found any evidence that mine was ever used at all.

Delta had problems, for some reason Frank ;~), with trunions about 8 years
ago. Many, after delivery were found to be broken. Yours, Donkey Hody, may
have been one of the ones returned to replace the trunion and sold as
reconditioned. A great deal for you and in deed may have never been used at
all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If you can spend about $1,565. you can get a gen-u-wine factory
reconditioned Unisaw with a brand new Biesemeyer fence delivered to
your door.
See http://www.redmond-machinery.com/tab...onditioned.htm
I never found any evidence that mine was ever used at all.

I've never dealt with Redmond, but many of my tools were purchased
reconditioned. If there is any evidence of use, it's even harder to
find once we start using the tool.

I wish the better hand tool manufacturers would do the same. I'd love
to see 25-35% off good hand tools because somebody unwrapped it, tried
it, and sent it back! G
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If you can spend about $1,565. you can get a gen-u-wine factory
reconditioned Unisaw with a brand new Biesemeyer fence delivered to
your door.
See http://www.redmond-machinery.com/tab...onditioned.htm
I never found any evidence that mine was ever used at all.

I've never dealt with Redmond, but many of my tools were purchased
reconditioned. If there is any evidence of use, it's even harder to
find once we start using the tool.

I wish the better hand tool manufacturers would do the same. I'd love
to see 25-35% off good hand tools because somebody unwrapped it, tried
it, and sent it back! G

I have some Bosch reconditioned sanders that work fine for me. Looked
good as new when I bought them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
I wish the better hand tool manufacturers would do the same. I'd love
to see 25-35% off good hand tools because somebody unwrapped it, tried
it, and sent it back! G

I have some Bosch reconditioned sanders that work fine for me. Looked
good as new when I bought them.

Some of those "reconditioned" tools are brand new, tagged that way to be
sold at a discount. Black & Decker does it in the outlet stores so the
regular dealers can't complain that B & D is cutting prices on them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Delta had problems, for some reason Frank ;~), with trunions about 8 years
ago. *Many, after delivery were found to be broken. *Yours, Donkey Hody, may
have been one of the ones returned to replace the trunion and sold as
reconditioned. *A great deal for you and in deed may have never been used at
all.

Perhaps you are right. The first reconditioned Unisaw that Redmond
sent to me arrived with a broken trunnion. The shipping crate didn't
show any signs on the exterior, but the inside had evidence it had
been turned over. Yes, the experience of returning the saw for
another was frustrating at the time, but I don't fault Delta for not
building it strong enough to take such abuse. Your car would be
damaged if you turned it over too. Redmond did everything in their
power to make it right, and in the end, I was very satisfied with
Redmond and Delta too.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits
down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 05:45:55 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

If you can spend about $1,565. you can get a gen-u-wine factory
reconditioned Unisaw with a brand new Biesemeyer fence delivered to
your door.
See http://www.redmond-machinery.com/tab...onditioned.htm
I never found any evidence that mine was ever used at all.

Delta had problems, for some reason Frank ;~), with trunions about 8 years
ago. Many, after delivery were found to be broken. Yours, Donkey Hody, may
have been one of the ones returned to replace the trunion and sold as
reconditioned. A great deal for you and in deed may have never been used at
all.

More than likely not. Any that came back with that much damage were
not reconditioned but parted out in recon, parts reinspected.
Difficult to determine what hidden damage there might be or how hard a
lick it took. Vast majority of recons that make it to sales started
as inventory resets, or minor cosmetic freight damage.

But I'm talking about a different time frame. What is done now is
different and I can't talk intelligently about it.

If DH's machine came to him normally boxed, it would have been done by
B & D. In my era we would recon, test, strap it to a heavy pallet
mostly assembled, and Redmond would have to pick it up with their own
truck. That would eliminate the cost of tear down and rebox after
test, and the heavy pallets were free, we had to pay to get rid of
them.

Redmond good people to deal with. They held our recon lead in high
regard, tried to hire him when the plant closed.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

*Any that came back with that much damage were
not reconditioned but parted out in recon, parts reinspected.
Difficult to determine what hidden damage there might be or how hard a
lick it took. *Vast majority of recons that make it to sales started
as inventory resets, or minor cosmetic freight damage.

But I'm talking about a different time frame. *What is done now is
different and I can't talk intelligently about it.

If DH's machine came to him normally boxed, it would have been done by
B & D. *In my era we would recon, test, strap it to a heavy pallet
mostly assembled, and Redmond would have to pick it up with their own
truck. *That would eliminate the cost of tear down and rebox after
test, and the heavy pallets were free, we had to pay to get rid of
them.

I bought my saw in early 2004. The saw which arrived damaged was
bolted down to a pallet with a sturdy cardboard box wrapped around it
as I recall. There was a single chunk of styrofoam lying in the
bottom of the cabinet that had obviously been wedged between the motor
and cabinet. The slats on one side of the pallet were broken where
the bolts attach, which told me the box had been tipped over. The
replacement saw arrived in a similar box, but they had taken extra
precautions. They had put a large plastic bag in the cabinet and
filled the bag with expanding foam. The motor was completely
surrounded by foam. It took me the better part of an hour to carve it
up into chunks small enough to remove.

DonkeyHody
"I'd rather expect the best from people and be wrong than expect the
worst and be right."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 05:39:53 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

I never tried to upgrade mine because another problem was keeping the
pulley on. You'd be in the middle of a cut and suddenly the blade
would stop and you would hear the pulley flying across the shop floor.
I tried everything short of welding it and it would never stay on. I
was glad to get rid of that piece of junk. I think I'll stick to my
original plan of buying a good quality cabinet saw even though the
savings are tempting. A lighter duty saw would probably do everything
I want it to do but why take the chance. Give the kids more to fight
over when I'm gone anyway. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think I'll stick to my
original plan of buying a good quality cabinet saw even though the
savings are tempting. A lighter duty saw would probably do everything
I want it to do but why take the chance. Give the kids more to fight
over when I'm gone anyway. :-)-

The only regret I have about purchasing my cabinet saw is that I spent
14 years cursing my contractor saw before I upgraded. Maybe those 14
years weren't wasted because I appreciate the quality of my cabinet
saw a lot more than I would have if I'd started out with it.

DonkeyHody
"There's a difference between doing things right and doing the right
things."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
I think I'll stick to my
original plan of buying a good quality cabinet saw even though the
savings are tempting. A lighter duty saw would probably do everything
I want it to do but why take the chance. Give the kids more to fight
over when I'm gone anyway. :-)-

The only regret I have about purchasing my cabinet saw is that I spent
14 years cursing my contractor saw before I upgraded. Maybe those 14
years weren't wasted because I appreciate the quality of my cabinet
saw a lot more than I would have if I'd started out with it.

Yup, hone your skills on the contractors saw and enjoy those skills when the
cabinet saw is no longer a factor to be reckoned with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

I bought my saw in early 2004. The saw which arrived damaged was
bolted down to a pallet with a sturdy cardboard box wrapped around it
as I recall. There was a single chunk of styrofoam lying in the
bottom of the cabinet that had obviously been wedged between the motor
and cabinet. The slats on one side of the pallet were broken where
the bolts attach, which told me the box had been tipped over. The
replacement saw arrived in a similar box, but they had taken extra
precautions. They had put a large plastic bag in the cabinet and
filled the bag with expanding foam. The motor was completely
surrounded by foam. It took me the better part of an hour to carve it
up into chunks small enough to remove.

When I got my Jet cabinet saw about 8 years ago it came on a standard sized
pallet, about 42-46" square. The larger pallets tend to be difficult to tip
over and the pallet was pretty HD as pallets go, all Oak. Along with that
precaution the motor had a removable steel bracket that securely cradled it
in the event the pallet was banged around. I guess the care taken to insure
no damage on the high seas worked well. The fact that Delta is/was
manufactured in the US and traveled shorter distances might be a partial
explanation as to why as many arrived damaged.
I was deciding between the Jet and the Delta when I bought but the numerous
broken trunion stories and the one in the store with a broken trunion was
what swayed me towards the Jet. IF I knew that the Delta was in inventory
and could be inspected before that 1 mile trip to my home I probably would
have gone with the Delta. But both very close vendors had to order the unit
I wanted. Apparently back then the right tilts were still the models that
were in stock and the left tilts would have to be ordered. I was not
willing to take that chance. Either way the Jet has been a machine that I
give little thought about any more. It continues to do what it is suppose
to do with no compromises. When I first got it I considered it a bit dull
and non exciting. No burns, not stalls, no crooked lines, no problems. ;~)
My Jet and Swingman's Unisaw are apparently in perfect tune with each other
as when we team up to build kitchens, 3 plus a partial one so far, the
results work well. I cut all the large plywood panels for sides and bottoms
and Swingman makes the face frames with dados on the back sides to fit the
front edges of the cabinet panels The accuracy needed for the panels and
the dados has to be dead on. If either was off, the cabinets would not go
together. I totally depend on the fence rule to insure accurate measured
cuts. From that point on drawers and doors can be measured to fit the
results of the cabinet construction.

Several years ago Grizzly customers were witnessing their TS being delivered
tipped over and even upside down.

Tablesaw mobility question Otter[_2_] Woodworking 17 November 26th 07 06:52 PM
Old craftsman tablesaw question Rob McConachie Woodworking 13 September 24th 07 07:41 PM
Tablesaw blade question/problem Tom Woodworking 1 November 8th 06 05:50 AM
Tablesaw question - followup Chuck Hoffman Woodworking 4 November 7th 04 03:52 AM
Tablesaw Safety question! EugeneC173 Woodworking 14 November 12th 03 07:21 PM