Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Tablesaw Question

*Any that came back with that much damage were
not reconditioned but parted out in recon, parts reinspected.
Difficult to determine what hidden damage there might be or how hard a
lick it took. *Vast majority of recons that make it to sales started
as inventory resets, or minor cosmetic freight damage.

But I'm talking about a different time frame. *What is done now is
different and I can't talk intelligently about it.

If DH's machine came to him normally boxed, it would have been done by
B & D. *In my era we would recon, test, strap it to a heavy pallet
mostly assembled, and Redmond would have to pick it up with their own
truck. *That would eliminate the cost of tear down and rebox after
test, and the heavy pallets were free, we had to pay to get rid of
them.

I bought my saw in early 2004. The saw which arrived damaged was
bolted down to a pallet with a sturdy cardboard box wrapped around it
as I recall. There was a single chunk of styrofoam lying in the
bottom of the cabinet that had obviously been wedged between the motor
and cabinet. The slats on one side of the pallet were broken where
the bolts attach, which told me the box had been tipped over. The
replacement saw arrived in a similar box, but they had taken extra
precautions. They had put a large plastic bag in the cabinet and
filled the bag with expanding foam. The motor was completely
surrounded by foam. It took me the better part of an hour to carve it
up into chunks small enough to remove.

DonkeyHody
"I'd rather expect the best from people and be wrong than expect the
worst and be right."