Matt Zach

Default Need help with shaper (new tool)... yikes!

I need a little help getting started with a new shaper and power feeder
that I just purchased. I'm in the Chicago area, and hope to find someone
who can show me how to run my new shaper.... I know this must sound
pretty weird to some of you.
I have most all of the other tools, but this new shaper really has me a
little nervous about just sliding a few boards into it and learning by
the seat of my pants.
I just put a ~2.5"Jesada Cutter head on it, and hit the power button,
and almost froze when I heard the WHIRRING sound. I then tried to muster
up enough courage to have my power feeder push a 2x4 piece of soft pine
through it.... I figured that I better ask for a little help on this
one.
So... is there either a woodworking group, and individual, or even a
small company in the greater Chicago area that might be willing to show
me how to use the shaper, either at my place or theirs? I'd be very
grateful, and would be glad to treat them to a good steak and a couple
of beers afterwards.
If there is a woodworkers club in the Chicago area, I'd like to find out
how to get involved in that also.
Thanks in advance (once again),
Matt

Tom Plamann

"Matt Zach" wrote in message
I need a little help getting started with a new shaper and power feeder
that I just purchased. I'm in the Chicago area, and hope to find someone
who can show me how to run my new shaper...

-.snip
So... is there either a woodworking group, and individual, or even a
small company in the greater Chicago area that might be willing to show
me how to use the shaper, either at my place or theirs? I'd be very
grateful, and would be glad to treat them to a good steak and a couple
of beers afterwards.
If there is a woodworkers club in the Chicago area, I'd like to find out
how to get involved in that also.
Thanks in advance (once again),
Matt

Matt

What part of Chicago are you on? I am designing a home in Lake Forest right
now and come down there once a week.

Tom Plamann
www.plamann.com

Mike at American Sycamore

Matt Zach wrote in message ...
[...]

I am just a little of a drive....take a look at my web
site.....www.americansycamoreretreat.com
I would be glad to spend some time with you at no charge if you would
like to drive down to the school. If you are interested call or
e-mail me and we will set up a date. Thanks,
Mike from American Sycamore
ps What shaper and feeder do you own?
Matt Zach

Thanks Tom,
I am in Berwyn, just south of Oak Park, not too far from Lake Forest. I am
using the Maggi Steff 2048 feeder on a Grizzley 3 HP shaper. I am available at
any time. I can either come to your site if you have a shaper and feeder set up
there, or you can come here if that would work out better. The drive is a
little less than 40 miles and probably an hour's drive.
Looking forward to it !
Thanks,
Matt

Tom Plamann wrote:

"Matt Zach" wrote in message
[...]

Matt Zach

Thank you very much, Mike.
I just visited your web site and was very impressed. According to Mapquest, it looks like you are
223 mile from Chicago. That would be about a 4 hour drive for me. I appreciate your generous
offer very much.
I just bought the Grizzley Model G1026 shaper with a G4227 sliding table. I also have a Maggi
Steff 2048 stock feeder installed on it.
Thanks.
Matt

Mike at American Sycamore wrote:

Matt Zach wrote in message ...
[...]

Silvan

Matt Zach wrote:

who can show me how to run my new shaper.... I know this must sound
pretty weird to some of you.

and almost froze when I heard the WHIRRING sound. I then tried to muster

I can imagine. I don't know what kind of critter you bought, but if it's
anything like the industrial stuff I've seen demonstrated, you have a
cutter the size of a beer can spinning at about 50 billion RPM, and it
keeps running for 15 minutes after you turn it off. Your caution is
probably well-founded.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Tom Plamann

"Matt Zach" wrote in message
Thanks Tom,
I am in Berwyn, just south of Oak Park, not too far from Lake Forest. I am
using the Maggi Steff 2048 feeder on a Grizzley 3 HP shaper. I am

available at
any time. I can either come to your site if you have a shaper and feeder

set up
there, or you can come here if that would work out better. The drive is a
little less than 40 miles and probably an hour's drive.
Looking forward to it !
Thanks,
Matt

snip

Matt

Email me your phone number and address and I will try to connect with you
the next time I come down.

Tom Plamann

Matt Zach

Hi folks,
I just got Lonnie's book, actually both his shaper book and his bandsaw book,
and I did finally push a little pine through it tonight, but I am still in
shock and awe of this machine. I know that once I see someone putting it
through its paces, I'll pick up on it fairly quickly. I felt the same way when
I bought my first table saw.
I have a 3.5 HP router in a router table that I use, so I think I will grasp
the shapers basic usage fairly quickly, but I am a total novice to the power
stock feeder, and also want to learn as much as I can about what the shaper is
really capable of doing.
I have received some awesome offers of help, which I plan on taking full
advantage of, on this current request for help. I am very excited to have the
chance to learn from these generous craftsmen. I hope I can 'pay it forward'
someday soon.
The Wreck is really a great place to be a part of, isn't it?
Matt

Mark & Juanita wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Check out either Lonnie Bird's "The Shaper Book", or Cliff and Holtz's
"Shaper Handbook" Both of these books provide great detail on proper
operation of a shaper and spend a great deal of time explaining safe
shaper operation.

Blair Chesterton

Hey Tom,

If you are looking into visiting shops for the benefit of us hobbiests, I'll
fly you up to the Toronto area so I can have the chance to pick your brain.
Ah heck, you're probably too busy, why don't you just write a book and I'll
buy it.

Blair