Posted to rec.woodworking
k k is offline

Default Dust Collector??

I work as a woodshop teacher. We are looking to purchase a good dust
collection system. We have about $6000.00 to spend. I was wondering
if anyone would suggest one main unit and run a series of lines or
smaller units hooked up to the machines. We would also like to keep
the noise down. We have 2 miter saws, a jointer, a planer, 2 table
saws, 2 bandsawws, and lots of handsanding is done. Any help would
be appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

k wrote:
I work as a woodshop teacher. We are looking to purchase a good dust
collection system. We have about $6000.00 to spend. I was wondering
if anyone would suggest one main unit and run a series of lines or
smaller units hooked up to the machines. We would also like to keep
the noise down. We have 2 miter saws, a jointer, a planer, 2 table
saws, 2 bandsawws, and lots of handsanding is done. Any help would
be appreciated.

Do you need to filter the air and return it inside or can you blow away
the fine dust?

Have you called the industrial dust collection manufacturers (Belfab,
Oneida, Torit, Felder, etc.) to see what they suggest?

With single stage smaller units you'll be emptying them all the time and
they typically don't filter as well. They'll also be noisier as you
can't put them outside like you can with a single large unit.

You'll likely have multiple machines running at once so you'll need a
fairly large collector if you go with one main unit.

You may want to ask this on the dust collection forum over on Woodweb,
as they will likely have more experience with large-scale equipment.

http://woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/dust.pl

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Definitely talk with the major manufacturers. I have an Onieda
Gorillia cyclone in my home shop

http://www.oneida-air.com/newsite/index.php

Not only will they help you out with questions, if you send them a
layout of the shop they will design the piping. They do tend to send
piping by the box os if you have any left over you can send it back
for a refund.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:36:20 -0800 (PST), k
wrote:

I work as a woodshop teacher. We are looking to purchase a good dust
collection system. We have about $6000.00 to spend. I was wondering
if anyone would suggest one main unit and run a series of lines or
smaller units hooked up to the machines. We would also like to keep
the noise down. We have 2 miter saws, a jointer, a planer, 2 table
saws, 2 bandsawws, and lots of handsanding is done. Any help would
be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I work as a woodshop teacher. We are looking to purchase a good dust
collection system. We have about $6000.00 to spend. I was wondering
if anyone would suggest one main unit and run a series of lines or
smaller units hooked up to the machines. We would also like to keep
the noise down. We have 2 miter saws, a jointer, a planer, 2 table
saws, 2 bandsawws, and lots of handsanding is done. Any help would
be appreciated.

I'd have to look at the shop to get a good idea. The miter saws and
jointer may not need dust collection, but funneling the dust will help
keep the floor clean. The planer, table saws and bandsaws should
have dust collection. Bandsaws produce a lot of fine dust. Remote
controls are nice. Look at the db ratings of DCs to keep noise levels
down. Lots of hand brushes/brooms go a long way in a classroom. An
air cleaner (or two) will help filter the air.

one 2 HP PennState DC - serves two table saws, $600
one 2 HP PennState DC - serves two band saws, $600
one 2 HP PennState DC - serves one planer and another machine, $600.
two air cleaners, $1200
three remote controls, $250
metal blast gates, clear tubing, "Y" adapters, hose clamps, $200
brushes, brooms $350
Posted to rec.woodworking

I work as a woodshop teacher. �We are looking to purchase a good dust
collection system. We have about $6000.00 to spend. �I was wondering
if anyone would suggest one main unit and run a series of lines or
smaller units hooked up to the machines.

You have received lots of good leads but be sure and take care of the
liability and safety measures.

With this in mind the vendors that deal with the educational market
will address the safety and liability issues.

Should you choose not to include these issues in your procurement
process you will be leaving your personal and educational life in
jeopardy. ie: Your license to teach. The procurement folks in the
school office will be the best folks to do the actual procurement.

Bob AZ
A Vendor to schools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote in
:

*snip*

Lots of hand brushes/brooms go a long way in a classroom.

*snip*

Harbor Freight has very servicable "bench brush"es on sale now* for about
$2.

*"now" means "last time I was in there", which was a couple days ago.
Their promo is believed to be going on still, but it might not be.

Puckdropper
marching band.

JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector? HerHusband Woodworking 4 October 28th 07 10:15 PM
Dust collector mgnric05 Woodworking 20 August 18th 05 05:33 PM
Anyone have a JDS Dust-Force dust collector? [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 05:48 PM
Dust collector Justa Beginner Woodworking 5 April 2nd 05 12:47 PM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM