Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Dust Collector??

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:36:20 -0800 (PST), k
wrote:

I work as a woodshop teacher. We are looking to purchase a good dust
collection system. We have about $6000.00 to spend. I was wondering
if anyone would suggest one main unit and run a series of lines or
smaller units hooked up to the machines. We would also like to keep
the noise down. We have 2 miter saws, a jointer, a planer, 2 table
saws, 2 bandsawws, and lots of handsanding is done. Any help would
be appreciated.

I'd have to look at the shop to get a good idea. The miter saws and
jointer may not need dust collection, but funneling the dust will help
keep the floor clean. The planer, table saws and bandsaws should
have dust collection. Bandsaws produce a lot of fine dust. Remote
controls are nice. Look at the db ratings of DCs to keep noise levels
down. Lots of hand brushes/brooms go a long way in a classroom. An
air cleaner (or two) will help filter the air.

one 2 HP PennState DC - serves two table saws, $600
one 2 HP PennState DC - serves two band saws, $600
one 2 HP PennState DC - serves one planer and another machine, $600.
two air cleaners, $1200
three remote controls, $250
metal blast gates, clear tubing, "Y" adapters, hose clamps, $200
brushes, brooms $350