Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sparks from router blade

I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a project, when I saw a
few sparks coming off of the router blade. The wood is a tropical
wood like teak. I had sanded the edge before I started routering. So
it could be coming from a trace of sand or the wood.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Al Holstein" wrote in message
I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a project, when I saw a
few sparks coming off of the router blade. The wood is a tropical
wood like teak. I had sanded the edge before I started routering. So
it could be coming from a trace of sand or the wood.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?

Got that once routing mdf. God only knows what's in that stuff.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Al Holstein wrote:
I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a project, when I saw a
few sparks coming off of the router blade. The wood is a tropical
wood like teak. I had sanded the edge before I started routering. So
it could be coming from a trace of sand or the wood.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?

This happens when you are splitting wood with an axe--if you do it
after sundown when you can see them.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

To err is human. To blame someone else
is politics.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
Al Holstein wrote:
I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a project, when I saw a
few sparks coming off of the router blade.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?

This happens when you are splitting wood with an axe--if you do it after
sundown when you can see them.

Would these be electrical flashes I wonder?

Static electricity and all that?

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

Al Holstein wrote:
I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a project, when I saw a
few sparks coming off of the router blade.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?

This happens when you are splitting wood with an axe--if you do it after
sundown when you can see them.

Would these be electrical flashes I wonder?

Static electricity and all that?

Jeff

I doubt it. Electrical sparks generally go from one object to another.
These just fly out like a spark from a flint.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

To err is human. To blame someone else
is politics.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 11:35 am, (J T) wrote:
Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 8:40am (EST+5) (Jeff Gorman)
doth queryeth:
Would these be electrical flashes I wonder?
Static electricity and all that?

Not electrical in my case, and I'd been routing for a few seconds,
so seriously doubt static 'lectricity. Definitely saw the spark fly
from the bit. However, it is possible that I was using a HSS bit, not
carbide tipped, at the time. I only used HSS bits for a short period of
time and now use only cabide tipped. Only had that happen the one time
- that I know of.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

I was a using carbide tipped bit when I saw it. It was like described
as a spark for a flint.
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Al
Posted to rec.woodworking

Al Holstein wrote:
I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a
project, when I saw a few sparks coming off of the
router blade.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?

This happens when you are splitting wood with an
axe--if
you do it after sundown when you can see them.

Would these be electrical flashes I wonder?

Static electricity and all that?

Jeff

Maybe. Or embedded metal staples, barbed wire from
eons ago, etc..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
Al Holstein wrote:
I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a project, when I saw a
few sparks coming off of the router blade. The wood is a tropical
wood like teak. I had sanded the edge before I started routering. So
it could be coming from a trace of sand or the wood.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?

This happens when you are splitting wood with an axe--if you do it after
sundown when you can see them.

You can get this effect from breaking a Wintergreen Certs in half. It's
a release of chemical bond energy in the form of light.

Bosch Router fault, lots of sparks, faulty armature? [email protected] UK diy 12 August 29th 07 01:08 PM
dado blade set vs. router petebert Woodworking 21 June 4th 07 11:25 AM
Sparks? dave12345 Woodworking 5 December 7th 06 01:41 PM
PHOTOS of my Franceformer and the sparks Don Foreman Metalworking 12 October 21st 05 02:45 AM
MDF & Sparks Rumpty Woodworking 25 March 18th 05 04:07 AM