Rumpty

Default MDF & Sparks

I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

FWIW, I also ran other wood thru the moulder using the same bits etc and no
sparks etc.

--

Rumpty

Leon

"Rumpty" wrote in message
I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an
occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

FWIW, I also ran other wood thru the moulder using the same bits etc and
no
sparks etc.

Yes that happens although it has been quite a few years since I have seen
this happen. IIRC particle board does this also.

Gerald Ross

Rumpty wrote:
I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

FWIW, I also ran other wood thru the moulder using the same bits etc and no
sparks etc.

--

Rumpty

Sparks do not necessarily mean metal on metal. You can often
see sparks when splitting wood with an axe if the light is
dim so they can be seen.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Never judge a man till you have walked
a mile in his shoes, 'cuz by then,
he's a mile away, you've got his shoes.

Doug Miller

In article , "Rumpty" wrote:
I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

Sparks? Or embers?

--
Regards,

Joe Wilding

I have seen it quite often. If you look at the edge of a cut piece of MDF
you will sometime see little bits of metal in there. (Very tiny.) I don't
think the pieces are big enough to ever cause any type of damage. I always
wonder though how it got in there. But then again, MDF is basically the hot
dog of the wood world. They probably through the floor sweepings into the
machine too.

Joe in Denver
My Woodworking Website:
www.the-wildings.com/shop/

"Rumpty" wrote in message
I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an
occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

FWIW, I also ran other wood thru the moulder using the same bits etc and
no
sparks etc.

--

Rumpty

NorthIdahoWWer

snip But then again, MDF is basically the hot
dog of the wood world. They probably [throw] the floor sweepings into the
machine too.

LOL... mmmmm hot dogs. MDF on a bun.. a little mustard & relish.. heh heh

Will

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Joe Wilding"
wrote:

But then again, MDF is basically the hot
dog of the wood world. They probably through the floor sweepings into the
machine too.

Not at all ! MDF is quite fussy about the grade of fibre that goes
into it.

Now _chipboard_ OTOH - you can find allsorts in that. There's a
picture up in one of my local suppliers, showing a piece with with a
mouse pressed into the surface.
Leon

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

But then again, MDF is basically the hot
dog of the wood world. They probably through the floor sweepings into the
machine too.

Not at all ! MDF is quite fussy about the grade of fibre that goes
into it.

You think? I wonder what purpose the pieces of "what ever" that cause the
sparsks, serves? ;~)

Teamcasa

"Rumpty"
I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an
occasional
spark.

Only when I did not remove all of the staples.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
patrick conroy

"Rumpty" wrote in message

I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an

occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

I see we have some "Sure!" and a "Nope!" as usual.
I've never noticed sparks or metal "tidbits" in the MDF I cut.

I'm wondering what manufacturing process would either "add" or "allow" metal
as part of the mix?

Robatoy

In article ,
"Rumpty" wrote:

I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

FWIW, I also ran other wood thru the moulder using the same bits etc and no
sparks etc.

--

Rumpty

Tiny stones. The fibre-mix (MDF as well as particle board) passes under
a very strong magnet during production, mostly to try to grab slivers of
metal which come off the grinding teeth.... the stones march on to spark
another day.

or so I'm told.

0¿0
˜

Rob
WillR

Rumpty wrote:
I was running some moulding yesterday using MDF and I noticed an occasional
spark. Is it "normal" to have a bit of metal in the MDF mix that will
produce sparks?

FWIW, I also ran other wood thru the moulder using the same bits etc and no
sparks etc.

--

Rumpty

Having been in the plants and seen MDF, OSB and Particle board made on a
number of occasions --- yes it is quite possible that the machines that
"grind" the fiber from the logs could lose some metal. Don't believe
that any other part of the process (known to me) could easily introduce
much metal...

The fiber is screened (in the plants I saw), and I suspect there were
magnets there somewhere (but don't know cause I never asked and it was
never volunteered and wasn't relevant to what I was doing...) -- but you
couldn't catch all the filings anyway...

Maybe it is spike leavings from an eco-wreaker. ??? That is more likely
since I did not observe the same level of care in inspecting the logs
that I saw take place in sawmills -- where the sawyers seem to care more
deeply about their saws than (hot dog) particle board makers do about
their grinders... :-)

And yes - MDF plants are "better"... IMO

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Leon"
wrote:

You think? I wonder what purpose the pieces of "what ever" that cause the
sparsks, serves? ;~)

It's usually a staple or somesuch applied to the boards _after_
they've been made, while they're on the pallet..
Leon

wrote:

You think? I wonder what purpose the pieces of "what ever" that cause the
sparsks, serves? ;~)

It's usually a staple or somesuch applied to the boards _after_
they've been made, while they're on the pallet..

Um not really, The ones that I have run across sparked all through out the
field of the panels. 3 or 4 sparks per cut in the panels.

Doug Miller

In article , "patrick conroy" wrote:

I see we have some "Sure!" and a "Nope!" as usual.
I've never noticed sparks or metal "tidbits" in the MDF I cut.

I'm wondering what manufacturing process would either "add" or "allow" metal
as part of the mix?

A disintregrating bearing somewhere along the way in the manufacturing
process, perhaps in the machinery that grinds the wood fibers, would
accomplish that result easily.

--
Regards,

Bill Waller

Be there metal or not in MDF, I have had the sparking scenario.

On the old Rockwell-Delta it has never been a problem. On the Grizzly 1023,
well, shall we say, that's another story...

I was working on a small project using melamine clad MDF. There were a few
sparks. A little later I smelled smoke, and it wasn't Cherry Blend. It appeared
that the innocent little sparks that I noticed flying through the air must have
had bigger brothers flitting down inside the cabinet.

Fortunately, I caught the problem and rectified it (without the aid of the fire
company or a even bucket of water) before it turned into anything major.

In a way, I am glad that I don't have a dust collector. Had there been the
added draft of one of those cyclonic wind machines, my little smoking layer of
sawdust could have become something far less manageable.

Lessons learned: Cut MDF on the old table saw when I can. Never cut metal on
the 1023. Clean the cabinet on the Grizzly BEFORE cutting MDF.

PS. I always sweep the floor before cutting metal on the Rockwell, and take off
the cute little dado dust chute I built before slicing through a nice piece of
steel, or even EMT. After all, I don't want to miss the fireworks show as the
sparks fly out of the rectangular dust port in the back. :-)

Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Um not really, The ones that I have run across sparked all through out the
field of the panels. 3 or 4 sparks per cut in the panels.

Well take the panel apart then and see what it is.

Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

And yes - MDF plants are "better"... IMO

Research shows that hemp plants are better.
WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
WillR wrote:

And yes - MDF plants are "better"... IMO

Research shows that hemp plants are better.

fo a "Stubby" or a "fat one"

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Rumpty

Bill,

I usually don't use MDF but this material was from a clean stack from the
Borg, no staples etc. I have used this material and sawed with the RAS and
used dust extraction. Yesterday I was running a very short run of moulding
using no dust collection so I could see the sparks. Needless to say, the
shop is now thoroughly clean and dust collection emptied.

--

Rumpty

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
[...]

Leon

wrote:

Um not really, The ones that I have run across sparked all through out
the
field of the panels. 3 or 4 sparks per cut in the panels.

Well take the panel apart then and see what it is.

Wull that's what I was a doin. ;~)

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:02:43 -0500, the inscrutable WillR
spake:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
WillR wrote:

And yes - MDF plants are "better"... IMO

Research shows that hemp plants are better.

fo a "Stubby" or a "fat one"

For you, Humphrey:

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/int...e/DONTBOGA.HTM

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com

Bill Waller wrote:

In a way, I am glad that I don't have a dust collector. Had there

been the
added draft of one of those cyclonic wind machines, my little smoking

layer of
sawdust could have become something far less manageable.

Aw c'mon Bill. If you'd had a dust collector, you might have had a
good fire and could publish the first documented fire caused by static
electricity in the dust collector.

running and ducking

Bob Davis
Houston, Texas

Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
WillR wrote:

And yes - MDF plants are "better"... IMO

Research shows that hemp plants are better.

fo a "Stubby" or a "fat one"

That AMT is really relaxing me as well.

fat one, phatty, pfatty.... and that brings me to Price Pfister, the
pfabulous pfaucet pfor pfussy p****ers.

I tried to sell that thought to Price Pfister. They didn't think it was
very pfunny.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
WillR wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
WillR wrote:

And yes - MDF plants are "better"... IMO

Research shows that hemp plants are better.

fo a "Stubby" or a "fat one"

That AMT is really relaxing me as well.

fat one, phatty, pfatty.... and that brings me to Price Pfister, the
pfabulous pfaucet pfor pfussy p****ers.

I tried to sell that thought to Price Pfister. They didn't think it was
very pfunny.

Years ago, in the Midwest, there was a gasoline brand named "Pfiester".
Pronounced "feaster". They *DID* run ads like that. Well, except for the
last word. Little, inconspicuous ones. On billboards.

They also bragged that they had something you couldn't get at any other
gas station. "Pink air" for your tires.

All their radio commercials were done by this *absolutely* _luscious_ sounding
female, which always ended with a throaty "Pfiester.... it's a *GAS*"

Vacuum cleaner blow sparks claim Owain UK diy 7 June 30th 04 04:23 PM
[HELP!] Sony GDM-F400T9 issues.. random sparks, diagonal lines when the unit is cold at power-on for 30-40 seconds, high degree of green [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 10th 04 07:14 PM
Sparks when drill stops? TheKeith Woodworking 7 December 28th 03 04:01 AM
Super Volcanoes Gunner Metalworking 1 November 29th 03 01:40 PM
Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill Data Man Woodworking 4 August 12th 03 03:29 PM