TheKeith

Default Sparks when drill stops?

I just got a 15.6 V craftsman drill with a brake. When I release the
trigger, I am noticing sparks through the vents in the back. Is this
normal?--thanks.

Phisherman

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:26:01 -0500, "TheKeith" wrote:

I just got a 15.6 V craftsman drill with a brake. When I release the
trigger, I am noticing sparks through the vents in the back. Is this
normal?--thanks.

You might want to check the condition of the brushes. Some sparks are
normal.
Toller

"TheKeith" wrote in message
I just got a 15.6 V craftsman drill with a brake. When I release the
trigger, I am noticing sparks through the vents in the back. Is this
normal?--thanks.

My Black and Decker does it. Don't know why, but it works fine.

AL

Perfectly normal. Most tools are designed so that the sparks cannot be seen
through the vents. But some aren't.

"TheKeith" wrote in message
I just got a 15.6 V craftsman drill with a brake. When I release the
trigger, I am noticing sparks through the vents in the back. Is this
normal?--thanks.

TheKeith

Thanks everyone for your help. Since the drill is brand new, taking it apart
to check the condition of the brushes is out of the question, I'm afraid,
but I'm sure after reading some of your replies, that what's happening is
normal. Thanks again.

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"TheKeith" wrote in message
I just got a 15.6 V craftsman drill with a brake. When I release the
trigger, I am noticing sparks through the vents in the back. Is this
normal?--thanks.

That is perfectly normal if your drill has electric brake.

--
© Jon Down ®

Eric Tonks

Normal. The "brakes" actually a set of contacts in the switch that short
circuit the motor, and this is why it sparks. It is an old "slot car racing
technique". When you turn off the motor, it still spins for a while and
becomes a generator. If you short circuit the motor when you turn the power
off, it will lock the armature, therefore, brakes the motor.