Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can I bake particle board at 350 F?

I'm planning to create a clay scale mock-up of a project and the most
convenient base I have for it is a scrap chunk of particle board. The clay
needs to be baked for about a half-hour at 350F to harden. Will this
significantly degrade the particle board in any way? If so, can I use
plywood or should I stick to solid pine?
TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
: I'm planning to create a clay scale mock-up of a project and the most
: convenient base I have for it is a scrap chunk of particle board. The clay
: needs to be baked for about a half-hour at 350F to harden. Will this
: significantly degrade the particle board in any way? If so, can I use
: plywood or should I stick to solid pine?
: TIA
: Norm

I would also worry about what type of fumes that would outgas from the
particle board too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 9:55 am, (J T) wrote:

Yep, it'll taste like crap. I've never tried it, but I suspect it could even catch on fire, same with plywood, or pine.

I dunno... maybe with some cheese dip...

I agree with the possibility of fire. Not to mention the smoke
aspect. When I finish a barbecue, I take oak chunks and stack them in
the cooker to preseason them. It will ride for several hours at 225 -
250, and every time the bottom row of chunks is really scorched/
burned.

At 350, I'd bet it wouldn't take much for it to catch fire. Then add
the fact that particle board has a great deal of resin (read:
plastic) in it, you could have a real mess in short order.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FINAL COMMENT Can I bake particle board at 350 F?

wrote in message
| On Nov 29, 9:55 am, (J T) wrote:
|
| Yep, it'll taste like crap. I've never tried it, but I suspect it
could even catch on fire, same with plywood, or pine.

| I dunno... maybe with some cheese dip...
|
| I agree with the possibility of fire. Not to mention the smoke
| aspect. When I finish a barbecue, I take oak chunks and stack them in
| the cooker to preseason them. It will ride for several hours at 225 -
| 250, and every time the bottom row of chunks is really scorched/
| burned.
|
| At 350, I'd bet it wouldn't take much for it to catch fire. Then add
| the fact that particle board has a great deal of resin (read:
| plastic) in it, you could have a real mess in short order.
|
| Robert

I've been convinced that it's a really bad idea.

I also think that my idea about using a pine board is also risky because the
kindling temperature is (nominally) 451F but it will undoubtedly start to
char long before that. My best bet is probably to use the flat bottom of an
inverted baking sheet.

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pizza stone?

Check with the guys on the bbq newsgroup. Edwin will know about this.

-Zz

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:25:55 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

wrote in message
| On Nov 29, 9:55 am, (J T) wrote:
|
| Yep, it'll taste like crap. I've never tried it, but I suspect it
could even catch on fire, same with plywood, or pine.

| I dunno... maybe with some cheese dip...
|
| I agree with the possibility of fire. Not to mention the smoke
| aspect. When I finish a barbecue, I take oak chunks and stack them in
| the cooker to preseason them. It will ride for several hours at 225 -
| 250, and every time the bottom row of chunks is really scorched/
| burned.
|
| At 350, I'd bet it wouldn't take much for it to catch fire. Then add
| the fact that particle board has a great deal of resin (read:
| plastic) in it, you could have a real mess in short order.
|
| Robert

I've been convinced that it's a really bad idea.

I also think that my idea about using a pine board is also risky because the
kindling temperature is (nominally) 451F but it will undoubtedly start to
char long before that. My best bet is probably to use the flat bottom of an
inverted baking sheet.

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 9:47 am, "Norm Dresner" wrote:
I'm planning to create a clay scale mock-up of a project and the most
convenient base I have for it is a scrap chunk of particle board. The clay
needs to be baked for about a half-hour at 350F to harden. Will this
significantly degrade the particle board in any way? If so, can I use
plywood or should I stick to solid pine?

How big is the mock up? You can buy a pizza stone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

According to the MSDS the auto ignition point on particle board is 475
degrees, a little to close for my comfort. Plus it's illegal to burn
particle board because of the toxic fumes, I'd have to believe that heating
it to that point would easily start that process.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I'm planning to create a clay scale mock-up of a project and the most
convenient base I have for it is a scrap chunk of particle board. The
clay
needs to be baked for about a half-hour at 350F to harden. Will this
significantly degrade the particle board in any way? If so, can I use
plywood or should I stick to solid pine?
TIA
Norm

Burning particle board SteveB Home Repair 38 November 11th 07 04:19 PM
Particle Board Woes Bill Woodworking 18 October 22nd 07 12:40 AM
Old particle board subfloor [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 14th 07 01:01 AM
hardwood over particle board steven Home Repair 3 July 4th 06 06:34 PM
How to fix broken particle board. toller Woodworking 4 June 30th 04 11:22 PM