Posted to rec.woodworking
Norm Dresner Norm Dresner is offline

Default FINAL COMMENT Can I bake particle board at 350 F?

wrote in message
| On Nov 29, 9:55 am, (J T) wrote:
|
| Yep, it'll taste like crap. I've never tried it, but I suspect it
could even catch on fire, same with plywood, or pine.

| I dunno... maybe with some cheese dip...
|
| I agree with the possibility of fire. Not to mention the smoke
| aspect. When I finish a barbecue, I take oak chunks and stack them in
| the cooker to preseason them. It will ride for several hours at 225 -
| 250, and every time the bottom row of chunks is really scorched/
| burned.
|
| At 350, I'd bet it wouldn't take much for it to catch fire. Then add
| the fact that particle board has a great deal of resin (read:
| plastic) in it, you could have a real mess in short order.
|
| Robert

I've been convinced that it's a really bad idea.

I also think that my idea about using a pine board is also risky because the
kindling temperature is (nominally) 451F but it will undoubtedly start to
char long before that. My best bet is probably to use the flat bottom of an
inverted baking sheet.

Norm