Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Current project: Kitchen Countertop replacement

Have posted some pictures from the current project: replacing the existing
ceramic tile countertop with laminate countertop. Reasons explained on the
web page:

Project: http://mklange.cnc.net/KitchenCountertop.html
HomePage: http://mklange.cnc.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 9:43 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Have posted some pictures from the current project: replacing the existing
ceramic tile countertop with laminate countertop. Reasons explained on the
web page:

Project: http://mklange.cnc.net/KitchenCountertop.html
HomePage: http://mklange.cnc.net/

I have to ask. As laminate is available in 5 x 12 sheets, and you were
doing a custom edge anyway, is there a particular reason for the mitre
in the corner? Granted, they are a bit difficult to handle when sheets
are that large, but there is a lot to be said for no seams.
Installation, like you did, is easier in two pieces, but I hate seams.
Looks great though. (You busy in December?, We sure are up here. G)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Nov 20, 9:43 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Have posted some pictures from the current project: replacing the
existing
ceramic tile countertop with laminate countertop. Reasons explained on
the web page:

Project: http://mklange.cnc.net/KitchenCountertop.html
HomePage: http://mklange.cnc.net/

I have to ask. As laminate is available in 5 x 12 sheets, and you were
doing a custom edge anyway, is there a particular reason for the mitre
in the corner? Granted, they are a bit difficult to handle when sheets
are that large, but there is a lot to be said for no seams.

Hmm, Doh! I hadn't considered making everything from a single sheet (i.e
including the "L" shape with the single sheet). Need to keep that in mind
for the future. That certainly would have solved the seam problem.
However, given the difficulty I had installing with two pieces, it would
have definitely complicated installation. Even in two pieces, the long
piece was just about at the limit of what I could handle; as the day wore
on, SWMBO's help was definitely needed to move the piece in and out for
adjustment.

Installation, like you did, is easier in two pieces, but I hate seams.

After yesterday, I can certainly understand why.

Looks great though. (You busy in December?, We sure are up here. G)

Yep, I've got the peninsula to complete. That one is going to require
some outside help to install.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 11:17 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Buy a door skin (1/8" luan), usually about 8 bucks. Rip it into 3"
strips and with some hotmelt make a template. Use tin snips to cut the
strips to size.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:

On Nov 20, 9:43 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Have posted some pictures from the current project: replacing the
existing
ceramic tile countertop with laminate countertop. Reasons explained on
the web page:

Project: http://mklange.cnc.net/KitchenCountertop.html
HomePage: http://mklange.cnc.net/

I have to ask. As laminate is available in 5 x 12 sheets, and you were
doing a custom edge anyway, is there a particular reason for the mitre
in the corner? Granted, they are a bit difficult to handle when sheets
are that large, but there is a lot to be said for no seams.

I used 5X10 sheets for that very reason, no seams. Was working under my
carport, got it ruff cut, set it aside to do something....the only gust of
wind (that day) came up lifted the sheet enough to slide to the floor.
Broke in the inside corner, $98 shot in about 2 seconds. But no seams are
NICE. Had Ordered enough extra, just for this sorta stuff.