Posted to alt.home.repair
seniorgeezer

Default Kitchen Countertop Construction

I am currently constructing a counter top for my kitchen. I need ideas
on how to trim the laminate with a Roto-Zip tool so that the edges are
perfectly straight. Can I do it by hand? Or do I need to set up a
guide. I am using WilsonArt for the laminate.
Thanks for help,

geezer

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

usually, laminate is run wild over the edge of your blank (or existing
countertop or whatever) and cut flush with a flush-cutting router bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"seniorgeezer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently constructing a counter top for my kitchen. I need ideas
on how to trim the laminate with a Roto-Zip tool so that the edges are
perfectly straight. Can I do it by hand? Or do I need to set up a
guide. I am using WilsonArt for the laminate.
Thanks for help,

http://www.rotozip.com/Shop/Category...=188064&BID=18

The bearing rides along the front of the counter to give a perfect edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Darrell Dorsey

"seniorgeezer" wrote in message oups.com...
I am currently constructing a counter top for my kitchen. I need ideas
on how to trim the laminate with a Roto-Zip tool so that the edges are
perfectly straight. Can I do it by hand? Or do I need to set up a
guide. I am using WilsonArt for the laminate.
Thanks for help,

geezer

What you need is a laminate trimming bit. It is a straight router bit with a flush ball bearing on the the end. Rotozip list a laminate trim bit on their website. Click here for the link.

I've never used a rotozip for routing so not sure how good it will handle routing. Laminate is expensive and it would be a shame to mess it up by not using the best tool for the job.

There are a couple of options, one purchase a laminate trimmer. This is nothing more that a small router. Or you can buy a regular router with a laminate trimming bit.

You seem to be a very handy person, so owning a laminate trimmer (can be used for small routing jobs as well) or a router would be a good investment over the long hall. PC, DeWalt and others sell laminate trimmers.

Darrell