Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Zero clearance bandsaw insert

Hey all;

Picked up a zero-clearance nylon bandsaw insert the other day at the
wood show. (Actually, they were giving them away with the purchase of
phenolic guide blocks, something I wanted to pick up anyways).

Anyhow, does anyone have any brilliant tips on cutting straight and clean
on these things, or do I just wing it?

Thanks,
Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Colin B." wrote in message
Hey all;

Picked up a zero-clearance nylon bandsaw insert the other day at the
wood show. (Actually, they were giving them away with the purchase of
phenolic guide blocks, something I wanted to pick up anyways).

Anyhow, does anyone have any brilliant tips on cutting straight and clean
on these things, or do I just wing it?

I just turn mine over and follow the molded area for the kerf. You'll burn
your way to the proper width as you use it.

Note that the low clearance will leave more dust on the table than the big
gap that allowed some to get below to the DC.

If you have a Delta saw and your circle doesn't have the nib to reference
it, think stickum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:58:01 +0100 (CET), "Colin B."
wrote:

Hey all;

Picked up a zero-clearance nylon bandsaw insert the other day at the
wood show. (Actually, they were giving them away with the purchase of
phenolic guide blocks, something I wanted to pick up anyways).

Anyhow, does anyone have any brilliant tips on cutting straight and clean
on these things, or do I just wing it?

Thanks,
Colin

Luck and persistence?

I bought a 3 pack and the 1st was silly, the 2nd, which I sort of dragged across
the old insert, was better..
I got frustrated and bored a hole on a piece of 3/4" thick scrap, put the insert
into it and used my fence to cut it 1/2 way through..

I works well, but like George said, makes more dust on the table..

All in all, I don't think it was worth it... I worry about splintering on the TS
but not on the bandsaw..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

How do I cut the slot in a zero clearance insert? Owen Lawrence Woodworking 15 November 11th 07 07:40 PM
Zero Clearance Table Insert silver_18038 Woodworking 24 July 16th 07 04:10 PM
ZERO-CLEARANCE INSERT J T Woodworking 9 September 5th 06 12:16 AM
ZERO-CLEARANCE INSERT J T Woodworking 3 January 30th 06 03:28 PM
Zero Clearance Insert Mike Pio Woodworking 57 November 12th 04 01:40 AM