Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I confess...I may suck a little (gloat)

A long time friend and loyal client gave me a nice 6/4 x7" x 72" board
of black walnut today. She would like me to make a proto-type of a
picture frame. If she likes it, she would like me to make a dozen-or-
so of them to give away as Christmas presents, and she will give me
all the black walnut I need to complete the order. As payment, I can
take what I can carry in two arm-fulls of birds-eye maple and/or black
walnut.
I have seen these boards, they are frickin' fabulous. Properly
stickered, over 10 years in a dry barn. I can pull my truck pretty
close to the piles...I won't have to carry the boards very far...I
*know* I can carry a whole sheet of Corian by myself.
I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

r---- who still manages a pretty good lift of quartz countertops at
his old age.
Whadday'all think, fellas...one load of walnut and one load of birds-
eye?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Start pumpin iron to carry as much as you can. You lucky dog!
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Nov 8, 2007, 6:57pm (EST-3) (Robatoy) who
doth sucketh quite a bit sayeth:
A long time friend and loyal client gave me a nice 6/4 x7" x 72" board
of black walnut today. She would like me to make a proto-type of a
picture frame. If she likes it, she would like me to make a dozen-or- so
of them to give away as Christmas presents, and she will give me all the
black walnut I need to complete the order. As payment, I can take what
I can carry in two arm-fulls of birds-eye maple and/or black walnut.
snip

You do realize you have to think this out, don't you? Can you
carry/hold more cradling the wood in both arms? One bundle encircled
with both arms? Or, a bundle under each arm? Can you load more with a
"helper" loading you up, or not? Can you actually carry that much the
distance to your truck? Do you have to dump the load in the truck, or
can you dump them on the tailgate, or ground, or have someone relieve
you of them at the truck? Believe me, if I was giving away wood like
that (it'll never happen) I'd have rules to abide by. A small amount of
decent wood, not necessarily from this stash, as a sacrifice to the
Woodworking Gods would now be appropriate for this advise. The spelling
is correct, you are advised to not **** them off.

JOAT
Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now
where the Hell are my T-shirts?
- JOAT

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ralph" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:
[...]

If the wood is that nice I think I might start pumin something other than
iron.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

I wonder if she'll let me stack it strategically on a set of sawhorses
first...then get under it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 12:19 am, (J T) wrote:
[...]

All those options are going through my head as well.
One of my guys could help me a lot if he were to load me up and then
make a run (stumble) to the tailgate....

Then again, I'm not greedy either. Picky? Yes. Greedy? No. If I can
score a few prize pieces, I'll be happy.
There's one curly maple board...at least 10" wide...6/4 by a good 10
feet long. Mint! I'd want to resaw that sucker.... or nine fabulous
guitar necks....maybe twelve.....sixteen even....just the best looking
stuff I have seen in years.
The walnut is kind of lost on me. I never really got to know that
stuff. Veneer on PB...sure...lifts and lifts of it.
My life has always been simple. Hard maple, cherry, or poplar (for
structural stuff) Huge fan of baltic birch ply.
I made a lot of things out of oak, but always disliked it.
Birds-eye is the most incredible wood....a friend of mine has a 50's
Gibson electric guitar..and the back of it looks like there are pearls
floating in space...took my breath away. I expected to feel the
bubbles...but there weren't any bumps to feel. Weird.

Posted to rec.woodworking

All I hope Rob, is that you post a few pics of what you decide to do
with it.

I would have to go half and half. I am thinking here of contrasting
woods on furniture. Can you imagine a top made out of that maple
affixed to a simple, but elegant, black walnut base?

Stunning...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh yeah....

Hell yes you suck.

Thought I would try to clear that up for you.

;^)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

r---- who still manages a pretty good lift of quartz countertops at
his old age.

Hittin' the gym tommorrow? G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

The walnut is kind of lost on me. I never really got to know that
stuff.

A shame. It is definitely one of the world's nicer woods. In all
respects.
_____________

Birds-eye is the most incredible wood

More expensive than walnut. If $$ is your motive, grab it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Huge fan of baltic birch ply.

Ditto but am wondering if the price has gone up in your neck of the
woods like it has here?
Am paying $37.50 (U.S.) for the 1/2 X 5 X 5 I was paying $21-22 a year
ago. Or is Mason's Mill & Lumber feeding me a line?
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 5:43?am, Robatoy wrote:

All those options are going through my head as well.
One of my guys could help me a lot if he were to load me up and then
make a run (stumble) to the tailgate....

Then again, I'm not greedy either. Picky? Yes. Greedy? No. If I can
score a few prize pieces, I'll be happy.
There's one curly maple board...at least 10" wide...6/4 by a good 10
feet long. Mint! I'd want to resaw that sucker.... or nine fabulous
guitar necks....maybe twelve.....sixteen even....just the best looking
stuff I have seen in years.

Rob, before you start short-stroking and hyperventilating
here . . . . . . . .she has to like the prototype frame!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wood suggest putting on a girdle, truss or weight lifting belt as
greed can be most motivating. if would be a shame to blow a nut
and suffer the hardships that go with the same.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 8, 9:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

I'd look into "specialty" clothing. Maybe a pair of suspenders hooked
up to reinforced pants. If you could go over the top of the wood and
grab the suspenders you'd have a lifting sling. If you do end up
going that way, post a picture. I need a chuckle.

Oh, and suck you do indeed!

realtors suck [email protected] Home Ownership 20 June 27th 07 11:55 PM
Suck or blow? HLAH UK diy 0 July 28th 06 02:50 PM
Man makes 86 YO mother split own wood! Was: Possible Gloat/real gloat LRod Woodworking 0 May 3rd 06 04:32 PM
Does Purpleheart suck? Enoch Root Woodworking 4 April 24th 06 10:39 PM
I can suck my own dick! pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com Home Repair 1 April 23rd 05 06:33 PM