Posted to rec.woodworking

Default production run gone wrong

Had to cut the tenons on the aprons for a set of tables I am making...

Carefully checked the height of my blade then lowered a touch for the
test cut. Made the first cuts then flipped over and as predicted the
tenon was too wide. Raised the blade and trimmed again, repeated
until the tenon fit correctly.

I then proceded to cut the tenons on the remaining seven aprons.
After finishing all my cuts I discover that the first piece I used was
slightly thicker than the others causing all of my other tenons to be
too narrow.

Moral of the story
Check the thickness of all of your stock and plane them to the same
thickness before working them. I guess that is why they say 1 by
stock is *approximately* 3/4.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Had to cut the tenons on the aprons for a set of tables I am making...

Carefully checked the height of my blade then lowered a touch for the
test cut. Made the first cuts then flipped over and as predicted the
tenon was too wide. Raised the blade and trimmed again, repeated
until the tenon fit correctly.

I then proceded to cut the tenons on the remaining seven aprons.
After finishing all my cuts I discover that the first piece I used was
slightly thicker than the others causing all of my other tenons to be
too narrow.

Moral of the story
Check the thickness of all of your stock and plane them to the same
thickness before working them. I guess that is why they say 1 by
stock is *approximately* 3/4.

Yeah, LOL That production stuff demands uniformity. Or Get yourself a
Domino. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Had to cut the tenons on the aprons for a set of tables I am making...

Carefully checked the height of my blade then lowered a touch for the
test cut. Made the first cuts then flipped over and as predicted the
tenon was too wide. Raised the blade and trimmed again, repeated
until the tenon fit correctly.

I then proceded to cut the tenons on the remaining seven aprons.
After finishing all my cuts I discover that the first piece I used was
slightly thicker than the others causing all of my other tenons to be
too narrow.

Moral of the story
Check the thickness of all of your stock and plane them to the same
thickness before working them. I guess that is why they say 1 by
stock is *approximately* 3/4.

Solution to the problem. Make all tenons a tad over and run your shoulder
or rabbet plane across them to fit to the mortise.

If you think solid stock is fun, try some of the Chinese ply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote

Moral of the story re-stated

To be happy camper/wooddorker with positive bank balance, consistently cut
$tock too long, too thick, too wide ... trim to fit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:37:16 -0800, RayV wrote:

I then proceded to cut the tenons on the remaining seven aprons.
After finishing all my cuts I discover that the first piece I used was
slightly thicker than the others causing all of my other tenons to be
too narrow.

Glue a piece of veneer to the narrow ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I made myself a set of spacers to put between the (swapped) outer
blades from my dado set. voila! stock-thickness-independent tenons of
consistent size.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 5, 7:26 pm, wrote:
I made myself a set of spacers to put between the (swapped) outer
blades from my dado set. voila! stock-thickness-independent tenons of
consistent size.

That is a great idea! You should send that in to the magazines, one
of them is bound to publish it and send you a check or even a free
tool...

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
On Nov 5, 7:26 pm, wrote:
I made myself a set of spacers to put between the (swapped) outer
blades from my dado set. voila! stock-thickness-independent tenons of
consistent size.

That is a great idea! You should send that in to the magazines, one
of them is bound to publish it and send you a check or even a free
tool...

It's been published before.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 5, 7:26 pm, wrote:
I made myself a set of spacers to put between the (swapped) outer
blades from my dado set. voila! stock-thickness-independent tenons of
consistent size.

That is a great idea! You should send that in to the magazines, one
of them is bound to publish it and send you a check or even a free
tool...

Should work well unless the tennon needs to be centered and the pieces are
not the same thickness.

Actually a RAS saw with a dado set would solve the inconsistent stock
problem. Tennons would be centered and the same thickness regardless of
stock thickness.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

Actually a RAS saw with a dado set would solve the inconsistent stock
problem. Tennons would be centered and the same thickness regardless of
stock thickness.

Centered, yes.

Same thickness regardless of stock thickness, clearly not.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

That is a great idea! You should send that in to the magazines, one
of them is bound to publish it and send you a check or even a free
tool...

Except, that while a good method for cutting tenons on the table saw, it's
already been in woodworking books and magazines for decades.

You still need to address the many other project perils inherent with your
original problem of inconsistent stock thickness ... a good idea being to
mill your stock to consistent dimensions to start with.

It you do use these type jigs with stock of inconsistent thickness, be sure
to remember to pick out a "reference face" on each workpiece and stick with
it so that things like planned apron 'reveals', or lack thereof, will be
consistent.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:37:16 -0800, RayV wrote:

Had to cut the tenons on the aprons for a set of tables I am making...

Carefully checked the height of my blade then lowered a touch for the
test cut. Made the first cuts then flipped over and as predicted the
tenon was too wide. Raised the blade and trimmed again, repeated
until the tenon fit correctly.

I then proceded to cut the tenons on the remaining seven aprons.
After finishing all my cuts I discover that the first piece I used was
slightly thicker than the others causing all of my other tenons to be
too narrow.

Moral of the story
Check the thickness of all of your stock and plane them to the same
thickness before working them. I guess that is why they say 1 by
stock is *approximately* 3/4.

I feel your pain...
Main reason that I recently bought a planer, also..

When possible, I prefer to over head route.. partly to see what the bit is
doing, but mainly because the shopsmith uses 1/2" bits and the router 1/4"..

I made about a dozen small drawer fronts from oak scrap and decided that I'd run
them through the shopsmith with a round over bit to give me a more finished
look.. drawers were for the shop..

I realized too late that when overhead routing, your stock thickness is MUCH
more critical than face down on a router table..

Some edges were barely touched, some rounded, some had lines from the bit
cutting too deep..
It was a lesson that I needed to learn..

Things that don't kill you wear your ass out...
(senior version)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah this is an old trap that lots of us have fallen into.

It is OK to just dimension all the stock to the same thickness for a
project. I sometimes use this method and even do some extra pieces
just for safety. However, the most accurate approach is to devise a
milling plan that ensures you get a repeatable thickness regardless of
stock variance. This requires that the second cut is indexed from the
face of the first cut.

Of course an easy approach is something like an FMT or Multi-router.
Another is the dado trick mentioned.

For an indexing method I have used a tennoning jig and modified it so
I did the fisr cut in the normal manner and then added a block at the
bottom so the second cut actually indexed off of the previous cut. You
have to have a second shim up higher that is thinner by approx the
difference in the first cut. Hard to explain here I guess.

You can do the same thing with a dado on a RAS. Do all the first side
cuts. Then build up base to place the first face on (face down). It
can also act as a stop to line up the shoulders if you set iu up right
but I usually have a stop at the end during both cuts which is easier.
Again, not to easy to explain but the distance from the base to the
dado cutter above is consistent so then is the final face to face dim.

On Nov 5, 9:37 am, RayV wrote:
Had to cut the tenons on the aprons for a set of tables I am making...

Carefully checked the height of my blade then lowered a touch for the
test cut. Made the first cuts then flipped over and as predicted the
tenon was too wide. Raised the blade and trimmed again, repeated
until the tenon fit correctly.

I then proceded to cut the tenons on the remaining seven aprons.
After finishing all my cuts I discover that the first piece I used was
slightly thicker than the others causing all of my other tenons to be
too narrow.

Moral of the story
Check the thickness of all of your stock and plane them to the same
thickness before working them. I guess that is why they say 1 by
stock is *approximately* 3/4.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:
It's been published before.

That doesn't seem to stop the mags I get. It is a rare day I see an
original tip in those rags.

--
-Steve in Banks, OR
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:38:32 +0000 (UTC),
w (Stephen Bigelow) wrote:

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:
It's been published before.

That doesn't seem to stop the mags I get. It is a rare day I see an
original tip in those rags.

True!

**
http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sheesh, you should be in their marketing department. I've read about
these (Domino) here and in print, saw a in-depth demo at AWFS and
still never wanted one. It just looked too much like my expensive
biscuit cutter that spends most of its life collecting dust.

Now I want one.

On Nov 27, 10:39 pm, charlieb wrote:
If you'd used the Festool Domino you could've avoided three
problems
1. by using loose tenon joints rather than mortise and tenon
joints there'd be no test cuts, no tricky set up
2. as long as you reference off the "outside" face it doesn't
matter how thick the stock is.
3. if you reference off the top edge of the apron part and the
top of the table leg you don't have to worry about a gap
between the top of the leg and the top of the apron

You also don't have to mess with "visible length" PLUS the tenonS
lengths. And if you screw up the location of a mortise you can
glue in a loose tenon and Do Over - nice to have an UNDO ability.
Screw up a tenon and you have to either make a new part or
"adjust" it's partner to match the screwed up part.

Oh - and it's almost impossible to be injured by the DOMINO -
the nasty spinning carbide thing is either IN the wood or
BEHIND the face of the tool - inside where it can't bite
you.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Sheesh, you should be in their marketing department. I've read about
these (Domino) here and in print, saw a in-depth demo at AWFS and
still never wanted one. It just looked too much like my expensive
biscuit cutter that spends most of its life collecting dust.

Now I want one.

LOL, I have 2 "Biscuit Cutters" and a Domino. It really works much much
better than the biscuit. If the competition ever builds a cheaper version
down the road I suspect the Plate Joiner will be history.
It's kinda cool also using the Domino to make "through tennons" which the
Biscuit Cutter could not do too elegantly. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 4:38 pm, (Stephen Bigelow)
wrote:
In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

It's been published before.

That doesn't seem to stop the mags I get. It is a rare day I see an
original tip in those rags.

I'm guilty of double-dipping. I've sent in the same tip to two
magazines and got paid each time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 1:39 am, charlieb wrote:

Oh - and it's almost impossible to be injured by the DOMINO -
the nasty spinning carbide thing is either IN the wood or
BEHIND the face of the tool - inside where it can't bite
you.

That's what I thought about a plate joiner until I found out
otherwise...