Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default production run gone wrong

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Had to cut the tenons on the aprons for a set of tables I am making...

Carefully checked the height of my blade then lowered a touch for the
test cut. Made the first cuts then flipped over and as predicted the
tenon was too wide. Raised the blade and trimmed again, repeated
until the tenon fit correctly.

I then proceded to cut the tenons on the remaining seven aprons.
After finishing all my cuts I discover that the first piece I used was
slightly thicker than the others causing all of my other tenons to be
too narrow.

Moral of the story
Check the thickness of all of your stock and plane them to the same
thickness before working them. I guess that is why they say 1 by
stock is *approximately* 3/4.

Solution to the problem. Make all tenons a tad over and run your shoulder
or rabbet plane across them to fit to the mortise.

If you think solid stock is fun, try some of the Chinese ply.