Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally OT Ford attempts to dazzle the customer

Well the 500 did not do well so Ford decided to make a BOLD move to please
the customer and rename it the Taurus. I guess they figure the average
buyer will not know the difference. They are so proud of that decision
that they have renamed one of their SUV's, the Escape or the Freestyle I
don't recall which, the Taurus X.

Now Ford is reintroducing the Model-T

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...s_model_t_line

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...
Well the 500 did not do well so Ford decided to make a BOLD move to please
the customer and rename it the Taurus. I guess they figure the average
buyer will not know the difference. They are so proud of that decision
that they have renamed one of their SUV's, the Escape or the Freestyle I
don't recall which, the Taurus X.

Now Ford is reintroducing the Model-T

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...s_model_t_line

Sounds fair. All the good Italian and French names are in use by the
competition.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
t...
Well the 500 did not do well so Ford decided to make a BOLD move to please
the customer and rename it the Taurus. I guess they figure the average
buyer will not know the difference. They are so proud of that decision
that they have renamed one of their SUV's, the Escape or the Freestyle I
don't recall which, the Taurus X.

Now Ford is reintroducing the Model-T

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...s_model_t_line

No mention of retail price but I can hardly wait.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

on 10/16/2007 6:47 PM Max said the following:
t...

Ford has a history of changing names and ****ing up their best sellers.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Article says $950.00 Wonder if you have to pay using those oversized
bills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:33:11 GMT, "Leon"

Now Ford is reintroducing the Model-T

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...s_model_t_line

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else.
Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report. If nothing
else about it is a clue, this statement makes the report preposterous:

"... the company will save millions of dollars by paying workers on
the man-powered assembly lines—once considered a revolutionary
breakthrough—wages at 1911 rates. ..."

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else.
Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report. If nothing
else about it is a clue, this statement makes the report preposterous:

"... the company will save millions of dollars by paying workers on
the man-powered assembly lines-once considered a revolutionary
breakthrough-wages at 1911 rates. ..."

TheOnion.com is the tongue in cheek give away. A newspaper version of SNL.

Ford has however renamed 2 different vehicles with the Taurus name.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else.
Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report. If nothing
else about it is a clue, this statement makes the report preposterous:

"... the company will save millions of dollars by paying workers on
the man-powered assembly lines-once considered a revolutionary
breakthrough-wages at 1911 rates. ..."

TheOnion.com is the tongue in cheek give away. A newspaper version of SNL.

Ford has however renamed 2 different vehicles with the Taurus name.

Taurus was Napoleon's middle name. Napoleon Taurus Bonaparte. (Say it
quickly)

....ain't that a knee-slapper?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:20:20 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

TheOnion.com is the tongue in cheek give away. A newspaper version of SNL.

Thanks. This was my first encounter with "TheOnion". Did look over the
page somewhat, but didn't see any disclaimers indicating the
non-serious nature of the reporting.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else.
Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report. If nothing
else about it is a clue, this statement makes the report preposterous:

"... the company will save millions of dollars by paying workers on
the man-powered assembly lines-once considered a revolutionary
breakthrough-wages at 1911 rates. ..."

TheOnion.com is the tongue in cheek give away. A newspaper version of SNL.

Ford has however renamed 2 different vehicles with the Taurus name.

I remember a Zephyr being an absolute piece of crap. Now it's a hoity-
toity Lincoln.
The name Vauxhall and Firenza bring back some very disturbing
memories. (Ford didn't have an exclusive on name badgering.)
Then there was the Ford Granada from the late 70's..now THAT was a
price winner.
The European Ford Grenada was a great car. I rented it there when I
could.
Let's not even begin to talk about such miscarriages as the Bobcat and
Pinto...Ford has come up with trash, I tell ya. ..and..and WHO can
forget that Thunderbird which came in blue with brown straps on the
farking trunk lids...maaaaan what an abomination.
Then there was the GT40, which made it all better....what a nice piece
that was.
I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite
liked it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 17, 12:20 am, "Leon" wrote:

I remember a Zephyr being an absolute piece of crap. Now it's a hoity-
toity Lincoln.

WAS, it is already no longer. I think it is the Milan now.

I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite
liked it.

That's the new Taurus now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

TheOnion.com is the tongue in cheek give away. A newspaper version of SNL.

Thanks. This was my first encounter with "TheOnion". Did look over the
page somewhat, but didn't see any disclaimers indicating the
non-serious nature of the reporting.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

The Onion did a parody on the moon landing. See if you can find
it....it brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else.
Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report.

Not familiar with "The Onion"? G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:

Thanks. This was my first encounter with "TheOnion". Did look over the
page somewhat, but didn't see any disclaimers indicating the
non-serious nature of the reporting.

On occasion, "The Onion" has had some real side splitters, the Ford
article isn't their best work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:02:34 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

Tom Veatch wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else.
Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report.

Not familiar with "The Onion"? G

Ok, I'll admit to being a little behind the power curve since I'd
never heard of it until now. But, based on other posts, it's got a
strong potential for making my list of favorites. I'm always open to a
humorous read; Patrick F. McManus being one of my most enjoyed
authors.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Tom Veatch wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:33:11 GMT, "Leon"

Now Ford is reintroducing the Model-T

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...s_model_t_line

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else.
Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report. If nothing
else about it is a clue, this statement makes the report preposterous:

"... the company will save millions of dollars by paying workers on
the man-powered assembly lines-once considered a revolutionary
breakthrough-wages at 1911 rates. ..."

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Not very familiar with "The Onion" huh Tom.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 17, 12:20 am, "Leon" wrote:

I remember a Zephyr being an absolute piece of crap. Now it's a hoity-
toity Lincoln.

WAS, it is already no longer. I think it is the Milan now.

Lincoln MKZ. Changes include a 3.5L, 263 Hp over the 3.0L, 202 HP, a
smoooooth 6 speed tranny, improved suspension.
Nice little car. Just bought one for my wife.

Max

I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite
liked it.

That's the new Taurus now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 16, 11:43 pm, Robatoy wrote:

SNIP

I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite liked it.

You know, I don't think I have ever read anything really bad about
this car, and for the most part it seem to be seeing positive reports
on most aspects of this model.

But I just don't think that American comsumers care anymore about Ford
and their lousy products. After putting out crap for so many years,
they are simply irrelevant. All that bad capital they have built over
the years will truly be almost impossible to overcome.

I wonder if any tool makers are following along on the home version of
this story...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

on 10/17/2007 7:04 AM B A R R Y said the following:
Tom Veatch wrote:

Thanks. This was my first encounter with "TheOnion". Did look over the
page somewhat, but didn't see any disclaimers indicating the
non-serious nature of the reporting.

On occasion, "The Onion" has had some real side splitters, the Ford
article isn't their best work.

How much did the Onion say the T would cost. You can buy a real T for
about $13,000.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:04:05 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

Tom Veatch wrote:

Thanks. This was my first encounter with "TheOnion". Did look over the
page somewhat, but didn't see any disclaimers indicating the
non-serious nature of the reporting.

On occasion, "The Onion" has had some real side splitters, the Ford
article isn't their best work.

The article about Harry Reid kicking the ranch dog sure made the
rounds in a hurry! Until people realized the source! Sure sounded
believable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 17, 4:39 pm, "
wrote:
On Oct 16, 11:43 pm, Robatoy wrote:

SNIP

I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite liked it.

You know, I don't think I have ever read anything really bad about
this car, and for the most part it seem to be seeing positive reports
on most aspects of this model.

I'm an Audi guy. I have messed with BMW, even Mercedes. (Never any
real 'upscale' versions like AMG's or M5's).
So, I have a bit of a feel for handling and power and such. Nothing I
like more than being able to throw around big cars at small car-
speeds. That ride in that Ford 500 was a real surprise for me. It had
all kinds of throttle, LOTS of cornering ability, and plenty of
brakes. I likened it to a 540 BMW in all aspects. For WAY less than
half the money of an Audi A6 with a 4.2 litre V-8, the 500 was one
helluva deal. (Fit and finish weren't quite there...and neither was
the 'scent'..but dammit, it was a nice car.)

But I just don't think that American comsumers care anymore about Ford
and their lousy products. After putting out crap for so many years,
they are simply irrelevant. All that bad capital they have built over
the years will truly be almost impossible to overcome.

*sigh*... what a a frickin' shame. Really. That mind-set is so hard to
overcome. So much has to do with people feeling 'let down'. I have a
parking lot full of stories. My guys love some of my old GMC rolling
stock, but can't stand the newer stuff.

I wonder if any tool makers are following along on the home version of
this story...

I repeat. It is a crying shame. It's like a huge collective enema was
shoved up an entire nation and deflated any and all loyalties out from
under them.

*I* am a Canadian. *I* take pride in buying something that says MADE
IN USA.
*I* am NOT sucking up to anybody here. It is a FACT!
My big brother to the south of me can do AMAZING things. Moonshots.
Big Bombs even. You sunsabitches kicked some whoopass in Europe back
in '45. You got some awesome women down there. (My sister's one of
them... so are 3 nieces who suffered tornadoes and dead husbands...)
Hell...even your Bourbon is kinda wicked and cool.

So, lose Bush, Cheney, and Doug Miller, and I'll love you again.

You DO know I'm kidding, right? (well maybe not ALL of it...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 16, 11:43 pm, Robatoy wrote:

SNIP

I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite liked
it.

You know, I don't think I have ever read anything really bad about
this car, and for the most part it seem to be seeing positive reports
on most aspects of this model.

Yeah, ths only thing I have heard negative about the 500 was the new
shiftless transmission. Apparently it is lack luster and sluggish.

But I just don't think that American comsumers care anymore about Ford
and their lousy products. After putting out crap for so many years,
they are simply irrelevant. All that bad capital they have built over
the years will truly be almost impossible to overcome.

American cars in genereal. I worked for GM dealerships and can assure you
that the lack of quality, the lack of "caring" is what has gotten them in
the spot they are in today. I clearly recall single part numbers that would
go bad year after year with no design improvements. I clearly recall the GM
rep grabbing a hand full of warranty parts and rejecting the warranty claims
simply because our dealer hip was replacing more than the zone average.
Might I add that we were awarded a Service Excelence award by GM for having
the fewest customer complaints amoung other things.

I wonder if any tool makers are following along on the home version of
this story...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 8:44 am, "Leon" wrote:

Yeah, ths only thing I have heard negative about the 500 was the new
shiftless transmission. Apparently it is lack luster and sluggish.

Lackluster in the sense that it isn't something you can feather and
slam about.
I like the more direct feel too, but it sure was smooth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 18, 8:44 am, "Leon" wrote:

Lackluster in the sense that it isn't something you can feather and
slam about.
I like the more direct feel too, but it sure was smooth.

..

The car is probably exactly as they intended, a replacement for the Crown
Vic. Most of those buyers are more concerned with smooth over performance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:

Thanks. This was my first encounter with "TheOnion". Did look over the
page somewhat, but didn't see any disclaimers indicating the
non-serious nature of the reporting.

On occasion, "The Onion" has had some real side splitters, the Ford
article isn't their best work.

How much did the Onion say the T would cost. You can buy a real T for
about $13,000.

Didn't Ford just re-engineer the Model T for the 100th aniversary of the
Henry Ford Museum. I think they built 20 of them for you to drive around
the village last year. Maybe that is where this blurb came from, I think
it cost them over $100,000 to build them....
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 17, 9:39?pm, "
wrote:
On Oct 16, 11:43 pm, Robatoy wrote:

SNIP

I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite liked it.

You know, I don't think I have ever read anything really bad about
this car, and for the most part it seem to be seeing positive reports
on most aspects of this model.

But I just don't think that American comsumers care anymore about Ford
and their lousy products. After putting out crap for so many years,
they are simply irrelevant. All that bad capital they have built over
the years will truly be almost impossible to overcome.

Robert

If Tom McCahill was still around you can bet he'd have a few choice
words on the subject. (God I miss his reviews.)

Car model naming seems to have become more wierd over the years.
(Unless you really prefer Mercedes' and BMW's uninspired alpha-numeric
approach.) I succeeded in never riding in a Datsun Cherry

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...

.

The car is probably exactly as they intended, a replacement for the Crown
Vic. Most of those buyers are more concerned with smooth over
performance.

Most drivers of the Crown Victoria have good, overbuilt transmissions rather
than fuel-saving smooth types, because they're cops.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in message
et...

"Leon" wrote in message

Most drivers of the Crown Victoria have good, overbuilt transmissions
rather than fuel-saving smooth types, because they're cops.

Well, that "usta" be true but ever since the problem with the gas tanks
exploding in a collision way back when, the Crown Vic's were dropped
immediately in the SE Texas area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
oups.com...

If Tom McCahill was still around you can bet he'd have a few choice
words on the subject. (God I miss his reviews.)

Car model naming seems to have become more wierd over the years.
(Unless you really prefer Mercedes' and BMW's uninspired alpha-numeric
approach.) I succeeded in never riding in a Datsun Cherry

FoggyTown

I think all the Asian cars have a rather strange name. When I worked for an
Isuzu dealership in the 80's our factory rep indicated, IIRC the Pickup,
"Pup" was called Lotus Blossom, in Japan.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"George" wrote in message
et...
"Leon" wrote in message

Most drivers of the Crown Victoria have good, overbuilt transmissions
rather than fuel-saving smooth types, because they're cops.

Well, that "usta" be true but ever since the problem with the gas tanks
exploding in a collision way back when, the Crown Vic's were dropped
immediately in the SE Texas area.

Maybe, but that certainly wasn't general.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"George" wrote in message
et...
"Leon" wrote in message

Most drivers of the Crown Victoria have good, overbuilt transmissions
rather than fuel-saving smooth types, because they're cops.

Well, that "usta" be true but ever since the problem with the gas tanks
exploding in a collision way back when, the Crown Vic's were dropped
immediately in the SE Texas area.

Maybe, but that certainly wasn't general.

Huh? This was pretty well know via most all national TV networks. It was
reported that "many" law enforcement agencies were getting rid of them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"George" wrote in message
et...
"Leon" wrote in message
Most drivers of the Crown Victoria have good, overbuilt transmissions
rather than fuel-saving smooth types, because they're cops.
Well, that "usta" be true but ever since the problem with the gas tanks
exploding in a collision way back when, the Crown Vic's were dropped
immediately in the SE Texas area.

Maybe, but that certainly wasn't general.

Huh? This was pretty well know via most all national TV networks. It was
reported that "many" law enforcement agencies were getting rid of them.

I guess it was the "immediately" that flagged my attention -- there were
jurisdictions around here that didn't replace them w/ Vic's, but
couldn't afford to get rid of them until rotation time came up...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"George" wrote in message
et...
"Leon" wrote in message
Most drivers of the Crown Victoria have good, overbuilt transmissions
rather than fuel-saving smooth types, because they're cops.
Well, that "usta" be true but ever since the problem with the gas
tanks exploding in a collision way back when, the Crown Vic's were
dropped immediately in the SE Texas area.
Maybe, but that certainly wasn't general.

Huh? This was pretty well know via most all national TV networks. It
was reported that "many" law enforcement agencies were getting rid of
them.

I guess it was the "immediately" that flagged my attention -- there were
jurisdictions around here that didn't replace them w/ Vic's, but couldn't
afford to get rid of them until rotation time came up...

There are still plenty of them in service in El Paso.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Max wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"George" wrote in message
et...
"Leon" wrote in message
Most drivers of the Crown Victoria have good, overbuilt transmissions
rather than fuel-saving smooth types, because they're cops.
Well, that "usta" be true but ever since the problem with the gas
tanks exploding in a collision way back when, the Crown Vic's were
dropped immediately in the SE Texas area.
Maybe, but that certainly wasn't general.

Huh? This was pretty well know via most all national TV networks. It
was reported that "many" law enforcement agencies were getting rid of
them.

I guess it was the "immediately" that flagged my attention -- there were
jurisdictions around here that didn't replace them w/ Vic's, but couldn't
afford to get rid of them until rotation time came up...

There are still plenty of them in service in El Paso.

Here as well. In fact, back when it became a flap, the local county
maintenance supervisor, being an old farm boy, took all of the ones used
for patrol and welded a plate to the frame behind the tank to stop the
penetration of the stray piece--problem solved for probably 99% of the
cases, much less expensive than buying new.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 15, 3:33 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Well the 500 did not do well so Ford decided to make a BOLD move to please
the customer and rename it the Taurus. I guess they figure the average
buyer will not know the difference. They are so proud of that decision
that they have renamed one of their SUV's, the Escape or the Freestyle I
don't recall which, the Taurus X.

Now Ford is reintroducing the Model-T

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...s_model_t_line

Ford's Euro version of the Escape SUV is named Maverick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
. net...

There are still plenty of them in service in El Paso.

Max

Smaller towns then not to rack up the miles as quickly and the budgets are
usually pretty tight.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
. net...

There are still plenty of them in service in El Paso.

Max

Smaller towns then not to rack up the miles as quickly and the budgets are
usually pretty tight.

650,000 population. 1200 man police force.
20 - 2007 Ford Crown Victorias
6 - 2007 Dodge Chargers
numerous older Crown Vics