Lawrence L'Hote

Default glue in knotholes

"Martin Trautmann" wrote in message
Hi all,

is there a reasonable chance to glue in the loose part of knotholes?

I'd prefer to keep the knot, but the standard option seems to be: drill
it out, replace it by a bigger plate of matching wood.

Use epoxy colored with Vandyke brown(oil based) artist paint and some wool
'flour' to fill in and hold the loose knot. The concoction tends to shrink
slightly so I pile it on a little. After sanding, the repair looks very
much like the pine knot material. If I were you, I would experiment on some
scrap wood knots first.

Larry

--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

jo4hn

Martin Trautmann wrote:
Hi all,

is there a reasonable chance to glue in the loose part of knotholes?

[snip]
Yes. If the knot does not rattle around in the hole, viz. you have to
shake or lift the knot out, then use yellow glue, put the knot in, and
rub some of your fir sawdust in. If the knot will fall on the floor at
the slightest provocation, then use some 2-part filler such as Minwack
Wood Filler, rub in some fir sawdust, etc. Bake at 240 cm for 3
furlongs, add whiskers, and serve.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Fred Miner

jo4hn wrote in message ink.net...
Martin Trautmann wrote:
Hi all,

is there a reasonable chance to glue in the loose part of knotholes?

[snip]
Yes. If the knot does not rattle around in the hole, viz. you have to
shake or lift the knot out, then use yellow glue, put the knot in, and
rub some of your fir sawdust in. If the knot will fall on the floor at
the slightest provocation, then use some 2-part filler such as Minwack
Wood Filler, rub in some fir sawdust, etc. Bake at 240 cm for 3
furlongs, add whiskers, and serve.
mahalo,
jo4hn

I've used epoxy quite a lot to fill defects that I want to keep in the
piece such a knot that is partially rotted. Dig out the rot and fill
the void with epoxy. It dries almost clear and really doesn't show.
If the hole is all the way thru the wood, tape a piece of waxed paper
to one side of the hole and fill it with epoxy. It will fill in
around the knot and it will stay in place.

Fred
Lee DeRaud

On 8 Oct 2003 03:43:50 -0700, (BRuce) wrote:

(T.) wrote in message ...
Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 12:46pm (EDT+4)
(Martin Trautmann)
asks:
is there a reasonable chance to glue in the loose part of knotholes?
snip

Try superglue.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 6 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Just stay away from Gorilla Glue. It is known to kill dogs, according
to The Puppy Wizard character.

[newsgroups trimmed]
I\Yes, GG killed a dog of one of the regulars on r.p.d.b. This may be
the *only* accurate information to come from the Poop Whizzer in
recorded history, so treasure it always.

In the meantime, killfile his sorry ass and keep this thread over on
r.w. where it belongs.

Lee