Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Spray-able" coating for outdoor furniture

Well, the cheap woode chairs from Big Lots lost their sheen quicker
than a Summer shower.

Lowes sells but one clear coating for "outdoor" use. A reading of the
can would indicate it cannot be thinned for spraying (I only have a
Binks gun from my days painting cars).

I was thinking that an automotive clear coat o laquer might do the
trick. However, knowing that stuf is intended for coating painted
surfaces rather than wood brought me here before plunking down good
money for expensive automotive finishes that might not do the intended
(protect the wood) job.

Anyone have a (serious) suggestion for a coating I might want to
consider (using my existing Binks gun) that would allow this wood to
survive yet another season?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote in
ps.com:

*snip*

Anyone have a (serious) suggestion for a coating I might want to
consider (using my existing Binks gun) that would allow this wood to
survive yet another season?

How about some kind of oil, like Vegetable Oil? My mother uses it on
decks.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
Well, the cheap woode chairs from Big Lots lost their sheen quicker
than a Summer shower.

Olympic Maximum is sprayable right from the can.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 11:52 pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
Well, the cheap woode chairs from Big Lots lost their sheen quicker
than a Summer shower.

Lowes sells but one clear coating for "outdoor" use. A reading of the
can would indicate it cannot be thinned for spraying (I only have a
Binks gun from my days painting cars).

I was thinking that an automotive clear coat o laquer might do the
trick. However, knowing that stuf is intended for coating painted
surfaces rather than wood brought me here before plunking down good
money for expensive automotive finishes that might not do the intended
(protect the wood) job.

Anyone have a (serious) suggestion for a coating I might want to
consider (using my existing Binks gun) that would allow this wood to
survive yet another season?

I've been using a Binks # 7 for spraying wood for eons. I have found a
number of coating materials are labled "Do Not Thin". I occasionally
thin and spray anyway, with acceptable results. You can experiment
with a small sample to get an idea of the results.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I too have thinned a lot of coatings that say "Do Not Thin" with
problem-free results. I suspect the advisory is more to address potential
running problems if thinned and applied in other manners than a spray
finish, than anything else. Thin away - experiment and find a good mix.
You know that Model 7 will shoot anything you can throw at it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

I too have thinned a lot of coatings that say "Do Not Thin" with
problem-free results. I suspect the advisory is more to address potential
running problems if thinned and applied in other manners than a spray
finish, than anything else.

A technical rep for a famous purveyor of pro finishing products starting
with "M", and ending with "k", told me "Do Not Thin" was entirely
related to VOC regulations. He then went on explaining why we should
ignore the instruction. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

This would seem to make sense since the one product suggested by the
nice ladies at Lowes also cam in a hand held spray can!

Thanks for the feedback on thinning.

Any other suggested finishes? Lacquer for outside?

On Oct 4, 8:11 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

I too have thinned with problem-free results.

"Do Not Thin" was to VOC regulations. ... ignore the instruction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Mike Marlow wrote:

I too have thinned a lot of coatings that say "Do Not Thin" with
problem-free results. I suspect the advisory is more to address
potential running problems if thinned and applied in other manners than a
spray finish, than anything else.

A technical rep for a famous purveyor of pro finishing products starting
with "M", and ending with "k", told me "Do Not Thin" was entirely related
to VOC regulations. He then went on explaining why we should ignore the
instruction. G

I could but that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Use SPAR Varithane (maybe its Urethane/polyurethane...not sure of the exact
name). It has UV protection and is advertised for exterior wood doors. It
is a clear finish (you could add some oil based stain if you wanted. Thin
it a little to use it in your spray gun. It also is available in spray
cans. I believe its a minWax product.

ps.com...