Posted to rec.woodworking
GROVER GROVER is offline

Default "Spray-able" coating for outdoor furniture

On Oct 3, 11:52 pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
Well, the cheap woode chairs from Big Lots lost their sheen quicker
than a Summer shower.

Lowes sells but one clear coating for "outdoor" use. A reading of the
can would indicate it cannot be thinned for spraying (I only have a
Binks gun from my days painting cars).

I was thinking that an automotive clear coat o laquer might do the
trick. However, knowing that stuf is intended for coating painted
surfaces rather than wood brought me here before plunking down good
money for expensive automotive finishes that might not do the intended
(protect the wood) job.

Anyone have a (serious) suggestion for a coating I might want to
consider (using my existing Binks gun) that would allow this wood to
survive yet another season?

I've been using a Binks # 7 for spraying wood for eons. I have found a
number of coating materials are labled "Do Not Thin". I occasionally
thin and spray anyway, with acceptable results. You can experiment
with a small sample to get an idea of the results.
Joe G