Posted to rec.woodworking
GARY WALKER GARY WALKER is offline

Default "Spray-able" coating for outdoor furniture

Use SPAR Varithane (maybe its Urethane/polyurethane...not sure of the exact
name). It has UV protection and is advertised for exterior wood doors. It
is a clear finish (you could add some oil based stain if you wanted. Thin
it a little to use it in your spray gun. It also is available in spray
cans. I believe its a minWax product.

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
ps.com...
Well, the cheap woode chairs from Big Lots lost their sheen quicker
than a Summer shower.

Lowes sells but one clear coating for "outdoor" use. A reading of the
can would indicate it cannot be thinned for spraying (I only have a
Binks gun from my days painting cars).

I was thinking that an automotive clear coat o laquer might do the
trick. However, knowing that stuf is intended for coating painted
surfaces rather than wood brought me here before plunking down good
money for expensive automotive finishes that might not do the intended
(protect the wood) job.

Anyone have a (serious) suggestion for a coating I might want to
consider (using my existing Binks gun) that would allow this wood to
survive yet another season?