Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trouble setting up new table saw

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:24:37 -0700, Ed Bennett
wrote:
I've talked with Manufacturing Engineers at Delta (about 12
years ago). They have jigs like mine that they use internally for
audit checks (sold a Sr. and associated accessories to their facility
in Pittsburgh) but it's not 100% inspection. They just want to make
sure that their process is still in control.

The individuals in Pittsburgh had nothing to do with the quality
inspection of my product. They were dealing with far eastern
imports. I did do 100% inspection of the features in questions in
addition to various statistical methods. Please don't blend the two
together if you don't know what you are talking about. That
(confusion of the source) has already pretty much destroyed the
quality image of the brand. That's all I have to say about that.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 29, 7:36 pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:
The individuals in Pittsburgh had nothing to do with the quality
inspection of my product. They were dealing with far eastern
imports. I did do 100% inspection of the features in questions in
addition to various statistical methods. Please don't blend the two
together if you don't know what you are talking about. That
(confusion of the source) has already pretty much destroyed the
quality image of the brand. That's all I have to say about that.

You are right, I really don't know anything about what Delta does in
Pittsburgh. I just know what they told me. I thought it was a bit
strange that they only needed one Aligner to support their entire
production line. They explained that the Aligner would only be used
for occasional audits. I tried to convince them that every service
center needed one. Didn't work. :-(

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner

Posted to rec.woodworking

"gnat's ass" isn't a derogatory term. It's a unit of measurement!

Unfortunately I don't have any instruments calibrated in gnat's asses
(or even thousandths of a gnat's ass). I'll check the NIST web site to
see if they list the conversion factor between inches and gnat's
asses. I'm sure that they maintain a standard gnat's ass from which
all certified instruments can trace their calibration. ;-)

a gnat's ass is a unit of measurement approximately one order of
magnitude smaller than that offered by the most accurate instrument in
your shop... which in your case makes it pretty damn thin.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Bennett" wrote in message

the problem and just make sawdust"). In the absence of swingman's
derogatory remarks I may not have taken them the same way

Seriously, swingman was making fun of (mocking) Dan's efforts to
eliminate 0.016" of alignment error.

I just can't imagine why it has caused so much antagonism.

Bull****, all around ... what folks need to know is that the real
"mocking"/"ranting and raving" and "antagonism" is your vile, unsolicited
e-mail backed up on my hard drive.

it's real, it's provable, and it's disturbing.

It's also damn sad.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 30, 2:29 am, wrote:
a gnat's ass is a unit of measurement approximately one order of
magnitude smaller than that offered by the most accurate instrument in
your shop... which in your case makes it pretty damn thin.....

No luck with NIST ;-) Well, I can measure to within a millionth of an
inch (with some uncertainty) so that would be pretty darn small
indeed!

Yes, I know that "gnat's ass" is slang. People use it to describe
something that is extremely small and insignificant. It's hyperbole
(an obvious and intentional exaggeration). People use hyperbole to
illustrate something that is ridiculous (causing or worthy of ridicule
or derision; absurd; preposterous; laughable). To characterize Dan's
desire to align his saw as the persuit of "thousandths of a gnat's
ass" just emphasizes the ridiculous nature of the task. It's
hyperbole on top of hyperbole.

I don't think that 0.016" of misalignment is absurd, preposterous,
laughable, or worthy of ridicule. It's hard for me to understand such
a characterization as anything other than derogatory (tending to
lessen the merit or reputation of a person or thing; disparaging;
depreciatory). But, that's just me. Others may not feel the same
way. It depends on their point of view and the effects that it has on
the individual. Nobody likes to have their profession characterized
in such a way.

I can understand jokes and how people poke fun at eachother in a light
hearted way. Sometimes it's not appreciated. Maybe it strikes a
chord or pushes a button that is particularly sensitive. Maybe it
even has tangible consequences that can affect a person's livelihood.
The proper thing to do is make a private appeal for the "humor" to
cease. When presented with such an appeal, most of us will recognize
the unintended consequences and back off. Some may even feel
compelled to offer an apology. The really rare individual might even
make the apology public so that everyone would understand that no harm
was intended. This is how people manage misunderstandings in polite
society.

A person who cannot recognize any potential for offense, denies the
appeal and places the blame on the offended with further jabs ("you're
obtuse", "wrong headed", "have no sense of humor", etc.) is being
particularly callous (insensitive; indifferent; unsympathetic). If
they step up the public activity with deliberately embarrassing jabs
then they shouldn't be too surpirsed when the offended begins to take
overt actions to remedy the situation (limit the damage). If they are
lucky, they will receive yet another private appeal with very strong
and direct language with exact specifics and blunt descriptions of the
offending behavior, it's consequences, and how it is being
interpreted. To deny the appeal at this level and counter with
maliciously embarrassing public jabs truely places one in the category
of "asshole". At this point, it is clear that no reason or appeal can
be used to remedy the situation. It is, by definition, beyond all
reason.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 30, 11:16 am, "Swingman" wrote:
Bull****, all around ... what folks need to know is that the real
"mocking"/"ranting and raving" and "antagonism" is your vile, unsolicited
e-mail backed up on my hard drive.

it's real, it's provable, and it's disturbing.

It's also damn sad.

This just isn't the direction you want to go Karl. Don't take my word
for it, please ask someone else. Frank, for example, can tell you
exactly why this isn't a good idea.

Please re-consider the jokes, jabs, and fun that you have been having
at my expense and think about choosing a different course of action.
It would be better for everyone all around.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Bennett took a can of maroon spray paint on September 30, 2007 04:26 pm
and wrote the following:

On Sep 30, 11:16 am, "Swingman" wrote:
Bull****, all around ... what folks need to know is that the real
"mocking"/"ranting and raving" and "antagonism" is your vile, unsolicited
e-mail backed up on my hard drive.

it's real, it's provable, and it's disturbing.

It's also damn sad.

This just isn't the direction you want to go Karl. Don't take my word
for it, please ask someone else. Frank, for example, can tell you
exactly why this isn't a good idea.

Please re-consider the jokes, jabs, and fun that you have been having
at my expense and think about choosing a different course of action.
It would be better for everyone all around.

Ed, I have been lurking here for a long time, I recently posted when I had a
serious question concerning wood finishing. I hang around in some of the
more volatile groups on usenet, and offer this advice, you *do* *not* have
the personality or self confidence to survive the path you are choosing.

You may be better off going to a web board of some description to
support/promote your products, you will not win here, and most of these
folks are amateurs at usenet battles/flames compared to many other groups.

Don't bother responding, as I won't, I came here peacefully, and will stay
here that way. You have my 2 cents, it is up to you how you want to spend
them.

--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Bennett" wrote in message

This just isn't the direction you want to go Karl. Don't take my word
for it, please ask someone else. Frank, for example, can tell you
exactly why this isn't a good idea.

Please re-consider the jokes, jabs, and fun that you have been having
at my expense and think about choosing a different course of action.
It would be better for everyone all around.

I agree, Ed ... all things considered, it would certainly be much better for
_you_. AAMOF, I hereby suggest (not threaten as you attempt to do above)
that _you_ drop the whole thing.

You're simply worth no further consideration on my part. I fully expect
you'll continue along the same line, but EOT, as far as my participation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote

You may be better off going to a web board of some description to
support/promote your products, you will not win here.

, and most of these
folks are amateurs at usenet battles/flames compared to many other groups.

While I agree with the later half, I vehemently disagree with the first
premise above

Contrary to what Ed has decided as my take on his product is, it is an
_excellent_ product, something every serious woodworker will find of great
value and, as such, has always deserved as much publicity amongst the
woodworking community as possible.

To suggest otherwise would be a loss to the woodworking community
hereabouts.

Despite our differences of opinion, this is simple fact ... I've said the
same to Ed, on posts here on the wRec, and on my website.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman took a can of maroon spray paint on September 30, 2007 05:13 pm and
wrote the following:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

You may be better off going to a web board of some description to
support/promote your products, you will not win here.

, and most of these
folks are amateurs at usenet battles/flames compared to many other
groups.

While I agree with the later half, I vehemently disagree with the first
premise above

Fine here, as I said I came here with no cause to create probs, I am doing
more finish carpentry than serious wooddorking. I am just suggesting Ed's
skin is a bit too thin for usenet.

Contrary to what Ed has decided as my take on his product is, it is an
_excellent_ product, something every serious woodworker will find of great
value and, as such, has always deserved as much publicity amongst the
woodworking community as possible.

To suggest otherwise would be a loss to the woodworking community
hereabouts.

Despite our differences of opinion, this is simple fact ... I've said the
same to Ed, on posts here on the wRec, and on my website.

I don't own a tablesaw, I have numerous tools, the only one which needs
aligning is a CMS, mainly drills corded and not, hammer drill, various
saws, a portable electric hand planer, sanders etc. I do all this to save
cash, done the kitchen, bathrooms, basement, various tiling, electrical,
carpentry work etc., just an IT guy for a living. I've been checking out
this place and alt.home.repair for many years, after a while you learn who
are the people with good advice, and who doesn't offer anything but a waste
of bandwidth.

Have a nice evening.
:-)
--
Lits Slut #9

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message \

and who doesn't offer anything but a waste
of bandwidth.

Unfortunately, we almost all take a turn in that barrell at some point or
other.

Have a nice evening.

Same to you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:40:06 -0700, Ed Bennett
wrote:

Yes, I know that "gnat's ass" is slang. People use it to describe
something that is extremely small and insignificant.

Unless you're the gnat.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Bennett" wrote in message

This just isn't the direction you want to go Karl. Don't take my word
for it, please ask someone else. Frank, for example, can tell you
exactly why this isn't a good idea.

Please re-consider the jokes, jabs, and fun that you have been having
at my expense and think about choosing a different course of action.
It would be better for everyone all around.

All of this sound very ominous to me.

If I was a business owner, I'd be very careful of how I come across to my
potential customers. Being argumentative, cantankerous, or anything like
that can cost customers or distributors.

But what do I know? I'm just an uninterested observer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 30, 2:48 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
I agree, Ed ... all things considered, it would certainly be much better for
_you_. AAMOF, I hereby suggest (not threaten as you attempt to do above)
that _you_ drop the whole thing.

You're simply worth no further consideration on my part. I fully expect
you'll continue along the same line, but EOT, as far as my participation.

Not a threat, just a warning. Kind of like the label on ladders that
says "Do not stand at or above this step". It's just not safe or
stable. There could be unforseen consequences that everyone would
regret.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 2:35 pm, Ed Bennett wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:48 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

I agree, Ed ... all things considered, it would certainly be much better for
_you_. AAMOF, I hereby suggest (not threaten as you attempt to do above)
that _you_ drop the whole thing.

You're simply worth no further consideration on my part. I fully expect
you'll continue along the same line, but EOT, as far as my participation.

Not a threat, just a warning. Kind of like the label on ladders that
says "Do not stand at or above this step". It's just not safe or
stable. There could be unforseen consequences that everyone would
regret.

I have read through this entire thread and come away with this
conclusion: You guys have way, WAY too much time on your hands and
have no shame about how far you will push an issue. You sound like an
angry 90 year old couple. It's a wonder any one of you make a living
because it appears that you spend most of your time typing and
thinking up "the perfect reply". Ed; you really don't have to reply to
every negative comment. It makes you look bad. Swingman; stop picking
on someone just because you know he will argue with you. He makes a
good product and you know it. Find something more constructive to do
rather than tormenting Ed.

Chuck