Josh

Default Setting up a new (used) table saw

I recently purchased a used Delta 10" Tilting Arbor Saw. I found mixed
reviews on the saw, but at $450 for the saw and a 50" biesemeyer fence I
figured it was a pretty good deal since most of the new contractor saws I
had looked at were quite a bit more than that for just the saw.

I finally got the 220V outlet put into my garage/workshop for the saw (it
only runs on 220) and have been setting it up over the last few evenings. I
purchased a TS-Aligner (that I think is awesome BTW) to help me set up the
saw and since this is my first TS I have a few questions. :-) I have
aligned the fence using the TS-Aligner. I think I have it about as good as
I am going to get it. When I run the aligner along the fence the reading
fluctuates .002 of an inch in both directions along the face of the fence.
Is this acceptable? Also, depending on which miter slot I measure from, the
fence is either pretty much right on parallel or out of parallel by .003 of
an inch or so. What is the tolerance between the miter gauges? Like I said
this is my first TS so I have no idea how right on these measurements should
be.

Also, I have purchased a biesemeyer anti-kickback splitter for the saw, but
there is currently no slot in the insert for the splitter (it did not come
with one when I bought it). What is the best way to cut this slot?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Josh

Charlie Self

Josh asks:

I recently purchased a used Delta 10" Tilting Arbor Saw.

Which model?

purchased a TS-Aligner (that I think is awesome BTW) to help me set up the
saw and since this is my first TS I have a few questions. :-) I have
aligned the fence using the TS-Aligner. I think I have it about as good as
I am going to get it. When I run the aligner along the fence the reading
fluctuates .002 of an inch in both directions along the face of the fence.

You want to align the fence with the saw blade, which is what needs to be
aligned with the miter slot. Go back to step one, align the blade with the
slot, and THEN align the blade with the fence.

If there is any difference, make sure it is to the rear, with the distance
opening up at the rear of the blade. This prevents pinching which can cause
kickback.

Measure from the miter slot on the side on which you are making your cuts. The
miter slots should be very, very close to parallel, but I don't recall what the
specs are for Delta's saws right now. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time
worrying about .003", though.

Also, I have purchased a biesemeyer anti-kickback splitter for the saw, but
there is currently no slot in the insert for the splitter (it did not come
with one when I bought it). What is the best way to cut this slot?

Make a zero clearance insert. Cut the slot in the insert. Make the insert of
phenolic, MDF, aluminum (soft alloy), your choice. Use the current insert to
trace and outline. Bandsaw it out (scroll saw, jig saw, whatever's available).
Rout the edges smooth aiming for a tight fit (drill a 3/4" hole all the way
through the insert on the side opposite that where the blade rises for easy
removal). You can either use tapped in adjustment screws to level the insert,
or you can leave it be. Clamp to the table (in the insert hole) keeping clamps
well clear of the where the blade will rise. Start the saw, blade down, and
slowly bring the blade up into the new insert. Now, remove the insert and cut
the slot for your splitter.

You will probably have to change to an 8" blade to be able to lower the blade
below the bottom of the uncut insert. Or you can rout a short slot for relief
where the blade will rise. Do NOT penetrate the entire insert.

It's really simpler than it sounds and it beats trying to modify a steel insert
with mostly woodworking tools.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
Frank Ketchum

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

snip good advice

You will probably have to change to an 8" blade to be able to lower the

blade
below the bottom of the uncut insert. Or you can rout a short slot for

relief
where the blade will rise. Do NOT penetrate the entire insert.

Just one comment for Josh, make a few inserts at once. You will need them.

Frank

Josh

Thanks for the info. The model # is 36-755, but the previous owner had
added a biesemeyer fence instead of the original jet-lock fence.

I had already aligned the blade to the miter slot using the ts-aligner (jr.)
and was aligning the fence to the same miter slot. I don't think there is a
way to align the fence directly to the blade using the ts-aligner.

Josh

[...]

Charlie Self

Josh writes:

Thanks for the info. The model # is 36-755, but the previous owner had
added a biesemeyer fence instead of the original jet-lock fence.

I had already aligned the blade to the miter slot using the ts-aligner (jr.)
and was aligning the fence to the same miter slot. I don't think there is a
way to align the fence directly to the blade using the ts-aligner.

Should be. I don't have my Aligner in my hand at the moment, but...if you can't
figure a way to use that, try the old fashioned way.

Mark one blade tip at the front of the table (unplug that sucker first). Set
the fence along the miter slot, as close to a dead on line up as you can.
Measure from the blade tip to the fence. Rotate the blade so the tip is at the
rear of the table (or as close as it gets, of course). Measure from the blade
tip to the fence. Keep it up until you cannot see the difference, or until
you've reached a 1/64th inch kickout at the rear of the blade. I think the
Aligner will work for this, too, giving a much more precise measurement, but
it's a bit more complex. I don't recall if it is in the tape or not, or the
manual.

You're right, though: if the miter slot lines up with the blade and the fence
lines up with the miter slot, all should be well. It just makes me itchy to
introduce a third variable when two can be used.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

patrick conroy

"Josh" wrote in message

I recently purchased a used Delta 10" Tilting Arbor Saw. I found mixed
reviews on the saw, but at $450 for the saw and a 50" biesemeyer fence I
figured it was a pretty good deal since most of the new contractor saws I
had looked at were quite a bit more than that for just the saw.

Which model?
Off hand, I'd agree sounds like a good/great deal.

an inch or so. What is the tolerance between the miter gauges? Like I

said
this is my first TS so I have no idea how right on these measurements

should
be.

Tolerance between the miter *slots*?
Not sure, in any case .002/.003 sounds damned good to me. I wouldn't spend
any more time chasing a coupl'a thou's.

Ed Bennett

Hi Charlie, hope all is going well.

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...

You want to align the fence with the saw blade, which is what needs to be
aligned with the miter slot. Go back to step one, align the blade with the
slot, and THEN align the blade with the fence.

Hmmm.... Well.... Actually.... No. The saw blade just doesn't make
a good alignment reference. I would (and do) advise against this
practice as it can easily lead to a dangerous misalignment condition.
It's always better to pick a miter slot and align everything to it.

If there is any difference, make sure it is to the rear, with the distance
opening up at the rear of the blade. This prevents pinching which can cause
kickback.

This is a great practice for those who use the traditional (and
subjective) "feel the rub" or "hear the scrape" alignment methods
because of the high degree of uncertainty involved. The idea is that
it's better to err on the safe side. However, if you use a dial
indicator jig (like the TS-Aligner Jr. mentioned) then there is no
significant uncertainty - align everything parallel to the slot.

If you do decide to open up the alignment in the rear of the blade,
don't do it by changing the blade alignnment. Doing so will screw it
up for cross cuts. The blade should always be aligned parallel to the
slot. The best practice is to modify the fence alignment (with
respect to the miter slot) so that only rip cuts are affected.

Measure from the miter slot on the side on which you are making your cuts. The
miter slots should be very, very close to parallel, but I don't recall what the
specs are for Delta's saws right now. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time
worrying about .003", though.

Absolutely correct, 0.003" misalignment (especially on your cross
cuts) is not going to make any difference in the quality or safety of
your cuts. Even when using a low clearance angle blade (like the
Forrest WW series) on a burn-prone wood (like cherry) you won't see
any problems below 0.005" in either direction (0.010" total).

Hope it helps. Questions and comments are welcome!

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

Charlie Self

Ed Bennett responds:

Hmmm.... Well.... Actually.... No. The saw blade just doesn't make
a good alignment reference. I would (and do) advise against this
practice as it can easily lead to a dangerous misalignment condition.
It's always better to pick a miter slot and align everything to it.

Only argument there is that eventually the blade has to be part of the mix. As
a preference, I'd use a Freud flat disc, after checking the arbor and arbor
bearing for runout and, for the latter, flatness on its internal side.

Most people, though, are going to use the blade tips, I'll bet.

Still, if you're using the TSAligner, then there really isn't a whole lot of
excuse for sloppy measuring, though I don't consider .003" sloppy with
woodworking tool set-up. I see you don't, either.

Otherwise, I'm doing pretty well for a fat old guy who has bounced around too
much in the past 3 years or so. Just got back from Atlanta Monday--not IWF, but
a press deal for Ryobi--and am fairly well determined never to go there again.
Too big, too crowded, too---much, I guess.

Considering I was born and raised just outside NYC, that's saying a lot, I
think.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
igor

On 01 Sep 2004 16:01:42 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Mark one blade tip at the front of the table (unplug that sucker first). Set
the fence along the miter slot, as close to a dead on line up as you can.
Measure from the blade tip to the fence. Rotate the blade so the tip is at the
rear of the table (or as close as it gets, of course). Measure from the blade
tip to the fence. Keep it up until you cannot see the difference, or until
you've reached a 1/64th inch kickout at the rear of the blade. I think the
Aligner will work for this, too, giving a much more precise measurement, but
it's a bit more complex. I don't recall if it is in the tape or not, or the
manual.

I would strongly endorse one particular point that Charlie makes -- and go
a bit further (or maybe just add emphasis). Namely, purposely make the far
end of the fence at least 2 hundredths of an inch farther from the miter
slot than the near end is. Along the length of the fence that ain't much
-- and it is much less along the length of the blade. But, it helps ensure
that the far end is not closer to the slot than is the near end -- which,
as Charlie suggested, can be bad, very bad. When I set up my first TS
about a year ago I wanted everything perfectly parallel and used a dial
gauge. But I realized that I should take into account small measuring
mistakes that could be made and bumps of the fence here and there and
wanted to err clearly on the side of safety. FWIW. -- Igor
Joseph Smith

Hey Josh,
You are being loaded with some of the best info possible
by some of the most knowledgeable. The problem is...is
that you can get over loaded because these guys
can stay on this topic for two weeks and constatntly add
new stuff (no offense meant to Charlie and the gang).
My latest Shop Notes Vol. 13 Issue 77 covers this very thing
and what your responders have been talking about...but it goes
one step further....ITS GOT PICTURES. Now that's how
this dumb ol weekend woodworker likes it!!!! You should be able
to purchase it at www.ShopNotes .com. It has both the basic align
and the fancy thingamajig aligners. Hope this helps.

Joey

"Josh" wrote in message
[...]

Ed Bennett

Josh writes:

Thanks for the info. The model # is 36-755, but the previous owner had
added a biesemeyer fence instead of the original jet-lock fence.

I had already aligned the blade to the miter slot using the ts-aligner
(jr.) and was aligning the fence to the same miter slot. I don't think
there is a way to align the fence directly to the blade using the ts-
aligner.

Should be.

Sorry, there isn't. And, there shouldn't be. It's just not a good
practice. I recommend against it.

I don't have my Aligner in my hand at the moment, but...if you can't
figure a way to use that, try the old fashioned way.

Mark one blade tip at the front of the table (unplug that sucker first). Set
the fence along the miter slot, as close to a dead on line up as you can.
Measure from the blade tip to the fence. Rotate the blade so the tip is at the
rear of the table (or as close as it gets, of course). Measure from the blade
tip to the fence. Keep it up until you cannot see the difference, or until
you've reached a 1/64th inch kickout at the rear of the blade.

Charlie, this just sounds like you should give it some more thought.
Generally speaking, those who advocate a deliberate misalignment (for
safety) are talking about adjusting the fence 1/64" in relation to the
miter slot. If your slot is 24" long, that amounts to about 0.00065"
misalignment per inch. So, for the eight inches or so of exposed
blade, it amounts to about 0.005" total blade misalignment. It's
plenty safe but on the edge of what I would call acceptable for
quality. And, you aren't going to be able to eyeball this with a
scale no matter how good your eyes are. The advice you give here
(1/64" of blade misalignment) would amount to nearly 0.016". Sharp,
young eyes shouldn't have any trouble seeing this on a scale.
However, this degree of misligment is (in my opinion) outright
dangerous.

I think the
Aligner will work for this, too, giving a much more precise measurement, but
it's a bit more complex. I don't recall if it is in the tape or not, or the
manual.

For adjusting the fence alignment with respect to the miter slot, yes,
the Aligner works quite well for this. I'm not sure I would call it
"more complex", just read the number directly off of the dial
indicator. 1/64" is roughly 0.016". It's a heck of a lot easier for
an old fart like me than to try and read a 64ths scale!

You're right, though: if the miter slot lines up with the blade and the fence
lines up with the miter slot, all should be well. It just makes me itchy to
introduce a third variable when two can be used.

This sounds distinctively Leedsian. Such haunting words...repeated
verbatium. It sends chills up my spine. Especially this "third
variable" idea. The best practice which most consistently yields
accurate results is to align both the blade and the fence to a single
"machined in cast iron" refrence: the miter slot. It's just not a
good practice to allow the blade to dictate your fence alignment.

Ed Bennett

Ed Bennett

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...
Ed Bennett responds:

Hmmm.... Well.... Actually.... No. The saw blade just doesn't make
a good alignment reference. I would (and do) advise against this
practice as it can easily lead to a dangerous misalignment condition.
It's always better to pick a miter slot and align everything to it.

Only argument there is that eventually the blade has to be part of the mix.

Of course. The blade is properly aliged for both ripping and cross
cutting when it is parallel to the miter slot. The fence is properly
aligned for ripping when it is parallel to the miter slot.

As
a preference, I'd use a Freud flat disc, after checking the arbor and arbor
bearing for runout and, for the latter, flatness on its internal side.

Most people, though, are going to use the blade tips, I'll bet.

Yep, a lot of people do this. However, the sides of the teeth are
deliberately ground at an angle to prevent them from rubbing the
inside of the kerf. So, it is very difficult to obtain reliable
measurements from their surfaces.

The flat blade replacement plate works fine so long as it is really
flat. I have yet to find one commercially that is. I made one up
special for the Wood Magazine review because they were planning to use
a well advertised but particularly poor quality item for their
testing. I surface ground mine from solid 3/4" thick hot rolled low
carbon steel (A36). My goal was to guarantee 0.001" accuracy over
it's 10" width. Not exactly an easy task. And, to top it all off,
it's completely unnecessary.

The best practice is to mark a spot on the blade body. Take all your
measurements with the dial indicator stylus on that spot. Rotate the
blade as necessary to move the spot from front to rear. This spot
will always travel in a circle within the plane of the blade,
absolutely perpendicular to its rotational axis (arbor). This
technique is guaranteed to work better than any blade replacement
plate you can buy. Better than any I can make in my shop (which is
why I can't justify offering any for sale).

Still, if you're using the TSAligner, then there really isn't a whole lot of
excuse for sloppy measuring, though I don't consider .003" sloppy with
woodworking tool set-up. I see you don't, either.

Nope, it's pretty darn good. Doing better won't yield any noticable
improvements in performance or quality.

Otherwise, I'm doing pretty well for a fat old guy who has bounced around too
much in the past 3 years or so. Just got back from Atlanta Monday--not IWF, but
a press deal for Ryobi--and am fairly well determined never to go there again.
Too big, too crowded, too---much, I guess.

Considering I was born and raised just outside NYC, that's saying a lot, I
think.

Glad to hear that you are having so much fun! Yes, been to both
Atlanta and NYC. Prefer Idaho. It sounds like you are starting to
get some well earned attention for your hard work. Congrats! I wish
I had more time for the ng. Sounds like you've managed well.

Ed Bennett

Charlie Self

Ed Bennet responds"

snip of agreement

[...]

Yeah, I was gonna say I'd like one like the one you did for Wood, but I don't
have the resources of Meredith behind me, so...

Anyway, I agree with your next paragraph, and will steal it for my own use if
you don't mind.

Charlie Self
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never
learned to walk forward." Franklin D. Roosevelt, radio address, Oct. 26, 1939
GerryG

Ed,
I'll agree with all else, but pick on the fence rear distance. I had some
problem with slight burning with several woods, and tried adjusting the fence
rear away from the blade by: 0, .002, .005, .010, etc. In most cases, .006 was
enough, but items such as thick cherry needed about twice that. Going further
did not produce any additional benefit.

As an aside, I just moved cross-country, and had to reassemble and align
everything, virtually from scratch. This includes the TS, RAS, jointer, BS,
DP, router table, chop saw and others. A full day's work, and the TS-aligner
paid for itself yet again. And with that platform fixture and indicator tips,
it's still the fastest and most accurate way I've ever found to set jointer
knives.

GerryG
(An old and satisfied TS-aligner customer)

On 1 Sep 2004 12:35:27 -0700, (Ed Bennett) wrote:

[...]

Ed Bennett

Hi Gerry,

Good to hear from you!

GerryG wrote in message . ..
Ed,
I'll agree with all else, but pick on the fence rear distance. I had some
problem with slight burning with several woods, and tried adjusting the fence
rear away from the blade by: 0, .002, .005, .010, etc. In most cases, .006 was
enough, but items such as thick cherry needed about twice that. Going further
did not produce any additional benefit.

I have to admit, there are some times when you might want to open up
the alignment a bit at the rear end of the fence. Cutting cherry with
a very low clearance angle blade (like the Forrest WW II) is probably
the most challenging situation. In essense, the minor misalignment
increases the effective clearance angle on the good side of the cut.
Correspondingly, the clearance angle decreases on the waste side of
the cut. If there is too much misalignment, the wood will tend to
wander away from the fence during the cut. It's a pretty dangerous
situation because the wood is being fed without guidance. Attempts to
keep it against the fence can cause burning on the waste side or even
a kickback.

Burning is caused by heat. Heat that is generated during normal
cutting isn't usually eough to cause burning. Most of this heat is
carried away in the sawdust. Burning most often occurs when the sides
of the teeth rub against the inside of the kerf rather than cut wood.
This happens when the blade is dull, coated with pitch, or there is
poor alignment. You can minimize heat by reducing the number of teeth
in the cut (raising the blade all the way up) and feeding the wood at
the proper speed (just a bit below what it takes to start slowing down
the motor).

I generally advise people to do exactly what you did. Change the
fence alignment in very small increments (0.001") until the burning
goes away. Never go beyond 0.015" total fence to miter slot
misalignment. If you get this far and are still having burning, then
something else is very wrong (dull blade, improperly sharpened blade,
improperly installed blade, reaction wood, etc.). Having a precise
alignment tool makes the process pretty easy, don't you think?

As an aside, I just moved cross-country, and had to reassemble and align
everything, virtually from scratch. This includes the TS, RAS, jointer, BS,
DP, router table, chop saw and others. A full day's work, and the TS-aligner
paid for itself yet again. And with that platform fixture and indicator tips,
it's still the fastest and most accurate way I've ever found to set jointer
knives.

GerryG
(An old and satisfied TS-aligner customer)

Glad to be of service!

Thanks,
Ed Bennett
(The old and satisfied TS-Alginer maker!)

Old unisaw table different from new ones? Heath Roberts Woodworking 8 March 22nd 04 04:21 PM
How Wide Should an Outfeed Table be? Jay Chan Woodworking 9 March 17th 04 02:42 PM
Extension leaf design for dining room table Melvin P. Schtepner Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 01:39 PM
Jet table saw table out of tolerance Bob Davis Woodworking 3 October 21st 03 05:54 PM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM