Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

Default TRV - What happens at MAX setting.

Will a TRV always stay open at it's maximum setting,
or will it close when the room gets very hot?

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RzB" wrote in message
Will a TRV always stay open at it's maximum setting,
or will it close when the room gets very hot?

I don't really know, but if you set fire to the room you could go in
afterwards and check and report back to us all!

Julian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

"Julian" wrote in message

Will a TRV always stay open at it's maximum setting,
or will it close when the room gets very hot?

I don't really know, but if you set fire to the room you could go in
afterwards and check and report back to us all!

Julian.

Julian,

Many thanks - excellent advice - I'll do that right away..
Of course if anything goes wrong... I'll say you told me..:-)

It was a seriuos question. When set to zero they stay shut.
Are they designed to stay open at their max setting?

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RzB wrote:

Will a TRV always stay open at it's maximum setting,
or will it close when the room gets very hot?

Roy

Eaxmining two different heads, the motion is entirely linear, i.e.
there isn't a point where the pusher suddenly springs out of sight. So
I conclude that there will still be a temperature where it starts to
close down. Conversely, even fully shut down it will open up if placed
in arctic conditions which, of course, is required for frost
protection. The head does have two separate positions marked for frost
and off, but the motion between them is still linear.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

RzB wrote:

Will a TRV always stay open at it's maximum setting,
or will it close when the room gets very hot?

Roy

Eaxmining two different heads, the motion is entirely linear, i.e.
there isn't a point where the pusher suddenly springs out of sight. So
I conclude that there will still be a temperature where it starts to
close down. Conversely, even fully shut down it will open up if placed
in arctic conditions which, of course, is required for frost
protection. The head does have two separate positions marked for frost
and off, but the motion between them is still linear.

Chris

Hmm - so even "0" is not "OFF" ... hmm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"RzB" writes:

Hmm - so even "0" is not "OFF" ... hmm

Although it might be that it only opens the valve after the
water in the pipework is frozen solid... ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RzB" wrote in message

Many thanks - excellent advice - I'll do that right away..
Of course if anything goes wrong... I'll say you told me..:-)

It was a seriuos question. When set to zero they stay shut.
Are they designed to stay open at their max setting?

Yes I know, sorry, couldn't resist.

It's a question that I haven't given much thought to and is really of
academic interest only unless you've got money to burn! I would think that
the answer would vary depending on what make of stat you have, and how hot
the rad can make the room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RzB wrote:

It was a seriuos question. When set to zero they stay shut.
Are they designed to stay open at their max setting?

That is only true for some brands / models. Some only go down to "frost
free" -when it gets cold they *will* open (so don't rely on that setting
to isolate a rad position prior to removing it).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"RzB" writes:

Hmm - so even "0" is not "OFF" ... hmm

Although it might be that it only opens the valve after the
water in the pipework is frozen solid... ;-)

I do wonder if the typical treatment in CH has an effect on freezing
points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"RzB" writes:

Hmm - so even "0" is not "OFF" ... hmm

Although it might be that it only opens the valve after the
water in the pipework is frozen solid... ;-)

I do wonder if the typical treatment in CH has an effect on freezing
points.

It probably has a small effect, but there are anti-freeze additives
if you really need to protect against freezing. They're expensive
because you need quite a lot, depending how cold you need it to
handle.

--
Andrew Gabriel