pe

Default Water heater thermostat "vacation" setting question

Hi all: Earlier this year, we had a new Bradford White 50 gal. gas water
heater installed in our home. Recently we went on a 2 week vacation and
turned the thermostat down to the "Vacation" setting before we left. On our
return, and before turning the thermostat back to its normal hot setting, we
had occasion to turn on the hot water faucets in the house and discovered,
to our surprise, that the water came out just as hot as when the thermostat
is set to its normal hot setting. The plumber who installed the unit
checked out the thermostat and thinks its working properly. If the water in
the tank is hot after two weeks with the thermostat set to "Vacation", does
that suggest there's a malfunction in the thermostat or elsewhere in the
appliance? And if the purpose of the "Vacation" setting is to prevent the
unit from firing and is working properly, what kept the water hot for two
weeks? Thanks for your replies! PE

Speedy Jim

pe wrote:

[...]

I don't think Vacation guarantees it won't fire; just lowers the setting.

To keep it from firing, turn the small knob to "PILOT".
That will keep the pilot lit, but prevent the main valve from opening.

Jim
Dr. Hardcrab

Do yourself a favor and just turn it completely off the next time you go on
vacation.

It only takes an hour or so for it to heat back up upon your return......

"pe" wrote in message
[...]

SJF

"pe" wrote in message
[...]

The pilot light will keep the water fairlly warm if the tank has good
insulation and noone is drawing water from the tank while you are gone.

Joseph Meehan

pe wrote:
[...]

As noted, it only turned it down. You might not notice the difference
especially if it is coming through a anti-scald device like you will find on
most modern showers.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ken

pe wrote:
[...]

Since we have two little kids in the house, and have a low flow shower
head with only one person at a time needing a shower, we normally keep
our gas water heater set to "vacation". It is just warm enough for
showering with only a small amount of cold water mixed in. Helps with
energy conservation that way.
If we are going away for an extended period, I just turn it off.

Ken