Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DRAWING A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK

I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 9:25 am, wrote:
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

I am interested in your problem. Mechanical drafting was one of the
first trades that I learned, redrawing the projects my older brother
brought home from school. It has been a central function to the work
I have accomplished over a lifetime, and it is disheartening that
mechanical drafting is no longer considered viable trade craft to be
formally taught in secondary education...displaced by the misbegotten
idea that computer drafting is the greater technology.
One night on Charlie Rose, Charles Gwathmey, world-renowned architect,
explained that the computer is great for layering complex drawings,
but true design can only be accomplished by a man's ability to
perceive with the eye and articulate with the hand. Thus man remains
the greater technology of this most primal communicative art.
Your border and title block will be dependent upon the size and
subject of your drawing and the relevant information you need to
convey. Let's start with subject first. Is this a working drawing
that will be used in shop? Will it be revised?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 Sep, 13:01, (J T) wrote:
Wed, Sep 19, 2007, 7:25am (EDT-3) doth come in and
scream out:
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS I
NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

Well, well, aren't we the fortunate ones? I just checked and
seemingly this is your first post ever on-line. You might want to keep
in mind that all caps is the same as shouting, and is not well thought
of. Teacher, eh? Best check your punctuation and spelling. Yeah, I
can see where you could have difficulties, if you're trying to do a
boarder that objects.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Now, now JT...I'll agree with the shouting part of your post but...

Does a math teacher need to know how to speak French? Does a French
teacher need to know the pythagorean theorem?

A teacher of a trade doesn't need to be an english major. My
grandfather was a heck of a mason and taught many people the trade,
all the while barely being able to write or spell at much above a
grade school level. However, hand him a trowel, a couple of bricks and
a willing student and he would amaze you.

Give the guy credit for being a teacher instead of knocking him down
for poor grammar skills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Where did grandfather learn his trade? Did he take formal
apprenticeship? What platitudes about his trade did he enjoy, that
you might remember? Did his work find an artistic outlet?
Thanks...

Posted to rec.woodworking

As an engineering studeant it was a badge of honor to be a bad
spellerer. I'm not sure I ever passed an english class with much more
than a C and even that was by luck usually.

On Sep 19, 12:37 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 19 Sep, 13:01, (J T) wrote:

[...]

for poor grammar skills.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
As an engineering studeant it was a badge of honor to be a bad
spellerer. I'm not sure I ever passed an english class with much more
than a C and even that was by luck usually.

Not a badge of honor for me though.
Jim

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

When I used to use Sketchup borders and title blocks were things it just
didn't even pretend to do. You had to to export a dxf or a jpeg to another
program for that sort of presentation. That was V4, maybe it has changed.

The forums at @last were very good and a better place for your query.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 Sep, 15:53, DAClark wrote:
-- Where did grandfather learn his trade? Did he take formal
-- apprenticeship? What platitudes about his trade did he enjoy, that
-- you might remember? Did his work find an artistic outlet?
-- Thanks...

I don't think there was such a thing as a "formal apprenticeship" when
he was learning the trade. He'd be 105 if he were alive to today, so
we're talking at least 80 - 85 years ago when he began laying brick.
If he learned the trade the way he taught it, it was from experienced
mason's willing to help hard working people trying to support their
families.

Two things I remember very clearly:

1 - The smell of Lestoil as we washed our hands together when he got
home from work. I'd be visiting, waiting for him to come home, and
we'd go down to the basement utility sink to wash up before dinner. He
had this old wide mouth jar filled with Lestoil and he'd pour a big,
thick dollop into our hands.

2 - We were pouring a new stoop at my house in NYC. He explained the
reason why you had to make sure each step had exactly the same rise
and run: "The feet remember." You can't explain it much simpler than
that!

If you want to see some of his work, just drive past the old paper
factories in Holyoke, MA. He laid thousands amd thousands of bricks
for those buildings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 10:25 am, wrote:
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

For **** sakes, DOOOODE, learn protocol AND English?

*shakes my head in disbelief* Teacher, huh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 3:54 pm, "Tim W" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

When I used to use Sketchup borders and title blocks were things it just
didn't even pretend to do. You had to to export a dxf or a jpeg to another
program for that sort of presentation. That was V4, maybe it has changed.

The forums at @last were very good and a better place for your query.

Tim w

Shows my age...I just caught on that sketchup is some damn software
program. But the joke is on you, if you need 45 minutes on the
computer to do a thirty-second sketch. The instruction here
is...working with pencil and paper develops the skills for determining
scale and proportion, that starting with advanced technologies will
deny to the student.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

First sketch the boarder. Have him or her sit by the table where you and
the boarder have your meals. That would make a nice homey picture.

Once done with the boarder, make a rectangular block for the title and have
the boarder sign it. You can title it "Boarder at Dinner"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Does a math teacher need to know how to speak French? Does a French
teacher need to know the pythagorean theorem?

A teacher of a trade doesn't need to be an english major.

Give the guy credit for being a teacher instead of knocking him down
for poor grammar skills.

Perhaps not, but they should know how to spell "sketch" and "border" Your
ready acceptance of poor language skills is one of the reasons the students
are doing so poorly in school If we have low expectations of both students
and teachers so we get crap. The goal should be to raise the standard, not
lower it.

While your grandfather may have been a great mason, I bet he wanted your
father and you to have a better education than he had no matter what trade
or profession you pursued in life. .

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:35:17 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

First sketch the boarder. Have him or her sit by the table where you and
the boarder have your meals. That would make a nice homey picture.

Once done with the boarder, make a rectangular block for the title and have
the boarder sign it. You can title it "Boarder at Dinner"

And if you eat too much, you get broader?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

*snip*

OTOH, maybe "boarder" has something to do with "boards" and I'm not
familiar with the term??

Maybe a complex all-in-one machine that saws a tree in to strips, then
does a rough plane and seals the end? Or a person who performs the
process?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

| Most likely as there isn't a K. West listed for the staff:
|
| http://staffweb.plattscsd.org/

Actually, there is. Mr. West appears to teach the use of computers in
an industrial arts-ish vein. I used their local Google search to find
him.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

Perhaps not, but they should know how to spell "sketch" and "border"
Your
ready acceptance of poor language skills is one of the reasons the
students
are doing so poorly in school

Why do you assume the class is in English?

It is in Plattsburgh NY. Plattsburgh City School Districts
http://www.plattscsd.org/

If it is in the USA, it should be taught in English, the language we use to
communicate. It is a good thing to teach other languages for the sake of
learning to communicate with others in their native country but English
should be used otherwise in the US. It is also useful with tourist visiting
our country. When I visit other countries, I try to learn a bit of their
language

English is taught in may other countries so we damned well should do that
here too.

BTW, all four of my grandparents came to this country from Poland. They all
learned English.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Wed, Sep 19, 2007, 12:37pm (EDT-3)
(DerbyDad03)doty sayeth:
Now, now JT...I'll agree with the shouting part of your post but...
Does a math teacher need to know how to speak French? Does a French
teacher need to know the pythagorean theorem?
A teacher of a trade doesn't need to be an english major. My
grandfather was a heck of a mason and taught many people the trade,
all the while barely being able to write or spell at much above a
grade school level. However, hand him a trowel, a couple of bricks
and a willing student and he would amaze you.
Give the guy credit for being a teacher instead of knocking him down
for poor grammar skills.

Bull****. ANY certified teacher is expected to at least know
how
to use basic punctuation. I knew how to use periods and question
marks by the time I was in the third grade. I bet your grandpa knew
how to use them too. It just makes me think this guy isn't much of
teacher.

If you can't speel, that makes it all the more important to
check
your spelling. If the guy wants to do a boarder, that's between him
and the boarder. If the guy wants to do a border, that's something
entirely different.

Looks like he's not the only one who "can't speel".

What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Ain't it da troot?
- The Cowardly Lion

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
| I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH
| STUDENTS I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND
| AM HAVING DIFFICULTIES

Hmm. You've already heard about the all-caps thing from those who
weren't ever beginners - and it'd appear that all the Sketch-Up users
are officers of the spelling police - so you're stuck with
questionable advice from a guy who's never used the program...

Try creating a drawing that consists of nothing but an
appropriately-sized border and the title block of your own design. I
have two of these, one for portrait orientation drawings and one for
landscape-oriented drawings.

To use these in DesignCAD, I make my new drawing of an assembly or
part, then open my saved border/title block and copy it to the
clipboard. Then I close the border file and paste the border/title
block into my new drawing.

Now I can do a proportional re-size of the border and title block and
move it to surround the new drawing. Don't re-size any of the elements
of your new drawing because that'd screw up the dimensions!

When you like what you see, add text to the title block and save your
new drawing with text and title block.

SketchUp may or may not work like DesignCAD for these operations - but
it seem reasonable that it has at least similar capabilities that'll
let you get the job done.

HTH

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 10:25 am, wrote:
I AM JUST LEARNING SCETCH UP AND WANT TO TEACH IT TO MY TECH STUDENTS
I NEED TO DO A BOARDER AND TITLE BLOCK AS A TEMPLATE AND AM HAVING
DIFFICULTIES

Here's a border and title block you can download that I lifted from
the Google Groups SketchUp Pro group:
http://groups.google.com/group/Sketc...ock.zip?part=2
and here's the link to the thread itself:
http://groups.google.com/group/Sketc...486b80f0ee5b48

Not sure what the limitations are on SketchUp's free version, but it
should work as you're just opening up a file and working on that.