Wade Lippman

Default A craftsman table saw?!

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)

jo4hn

I would suggest looking elsewhere. Spending that kind of money for
something with a questionable fence? Look at Grizzly, Jet, Delta, etc.
and see what there is to see.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Wade Lippman wrote:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)

2manytoyz

Consider spending a little more now, and having all the saw you'll probably
need for a long time. I'd suggest looking at the Jet JWTS-10JF
saw.

That being said, I have a 10" Craftsman TS with a XR-2424 fence. I added
the PALS system ($21.99):
http://www3.woodcraft.com/PowerToolA...orking/895.htm I now
have a very good, quite accurate TS... for a contractor saw. It works well
enough that the similarly priced competition doesn't warrant the idea of a
swap. When I do sell this one, I'll make a move to a cabinet saw. I don't
have a big enough shop yet to house such a beast. No regrets for now, but
if I had a choice of buying this one new, or the Jet, I'd go with the Jet.
Cast iron seems nice but that just means it's heavier to move. As long as
vibration wasn't an issue, I'd be just as happy with stamped steel wings.
Easier to clean, nothing falls through.

Will trade one accurized Craftsman TS for one NIB Unisaw, or maybe that new
Dewalt hybrid model...

Robert

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always

go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Wade Lippman" wrote:

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)

This is my saw. I paid $450 with rebate. I installed a Forrest WWII blade
and zero clearance insert immediately. The trunion nor the fence were
square out of the box. So what, neither are the $1000 Deltas I was looking
at this weekend at Woodcraft. After adjusting everything to square, I'm
pleased with the saw and love the router table. I think the fence is fine
and I never need more than 24". Hell, that will split a sheet of plywood
so what else do I need?

I also built a nice CC sled for it. I say go for it.

todd

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...SessionID=@@@@
1947080876.1064888904@@@@&BV_EngineID=cckcadcjhklh fgfcehgcemgdffmdflf.0&list
ingid=-2098480011&pid=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always

go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)

It's not exactly gloat material, but I got my Delta contractor's saw used
for $650 a couple of years back. This was with a Forrest WWII, mobile base,
extension table, and Unifence. I'd say that would be a good $200 upgrade
from what you're talking about. Heck, just the upgrade to the WWII would
get you half way there. Bottom line...I'd try to find a used Delta or Jet
before buying a new Craftsman.

todd

bummster

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:38:52 GMT, "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)

i picked up a craftsman 10" TS that was in good shape without a blade
but with a good homebrew dust collection for 150. cast iron top, with
the cast iron web table extensions. fence could use some work, but
then again, you can set the fence, and then bring the clamps and clamp
the far end down. it's a 1.5hp belt. i plan on picking up the pals
and a link belt with pulleys from woodcraft. so 150 for saw + 25 for
pals, + 60 for belt and pulleys, a blade (40 - 100)... there's still
money left over to make or purchase a dedicated router table. throw
in a decent fence a little later, and it's a setup that will work. at
least that's what i'm counting on. =)

-danny
Wm Gardner

I have this saw. Bought it a couple of years ago when it was marketed as a
"special value" package. Saw works fine once adjusted. Fence is fine once
the bolt was slightly tightened. If you prefer a fence face from something
other than aluminum you will need to make/buy something though. Also added
cast extension (available through the Sears catalogue) on the right side,
replacing the stamped steel one.

In my opinion, the router wing has a design shortfall. There is no channel
for the miter gauge on the left side of the router. Hence you cannot use
your miter or a featherboard on the table top safely unless you build an
extension. To make matters worse, I tried to run a piece through being ever
so careful. Just suffice to say that two of my fingers are now a permanent
testament to how stupid of an idea that was, even after re-constructive
surgery. If you decide to buy this saw, build the extension or maybe try
mounting it to the right of the saw blade.

If I had it to do over again, I do not think I would buy this saw again. I
feel that for only slightly more money you can get a better saw that will
work better with the harder woods. Don't get me wrong, it is not terrible
and I will not be replacing it anytime soon. But, if I were buying new, I
would be looking at other products.

Hope it helps,
Bill

--

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-Theodore Roosevelt

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always

go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)

Tom M.

I bought this saw six months ago with the 10% discount ($450), and
1-1/2 months later it went on sale for $399. I went back to Sears, and
the manager credited $50 back on my account, even though I think their
policy is 30 days.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the saw so far. I lined everything up with
my dial indicator, and the miter slots are parallel, the fence locks
solid, square and is repeatable, and it passes the nickel test (penny
test after link belt). I found the arbor flange runout to be a little
excessive, but cured that with my tenoning jig and a honing block (now
it's .0005"). Buy a new blade, though...I put a $30 Freud combination
thin kerf, and it goes through 4/4 oak like butter. I really like the
router wing also, but it's only drilled to fit Craftsman and Ryobi
routers. I'm sure I could probably drill it for my PC or DW router,
but I haven't figured out an accurate way of doing it yet. The router
fence boards flex a little on the brackets, but were okay when I put a
piece of 1/4" wood between them and the fence. The dust collector tube
also works well. In a nutshell, I think it's a decent saw, and very
good if you have limited space. Sure Jet and Delta may be better saws,
but for $600 you get two stamped steel wings, no router mount, and no
mobile base.

Tom