Wm Gardner

Default A craftsman table saw?!

I have this saw. Bought it a couple of years ago when it was marketed as a
"special value" package. Saw works fine once adjusted. Fence is fine once
the bolt was slightly tightened. If you prefer a fence face from something
other than aluminum you will need to make/buy something though. Also added
cast extension (available through the Sears catalogue) on the right side,
replacing the stamped steel one.

In my opinion, the router wing has a design shortfall. There is no channel
for the miter gauge on the left side of the router. Hence you cannot use
your miter or a featherboard on the table top safely unless you build an
extension. To make matters worse, I tried to run a piece through being ever
so careful. Just suffice to say that two of my fingers are now a permanent
testament to how stupid of an idea that was, even after re-constructive
surgery. If you decide to buy this saw, build the extension or maybe try
mounting it to the right of the saw blade.

If I had it to do over again, I do not think I would buy this saw again. I
feel that for only slightly more money you can get a better saw that will
work better with the harder woods. Don't get me wrong, it is not terrible
and I will not be replacing it anytime soon. But, if I were buying new, I
would be looking at other products.

Hope it helps,
Bill

--

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-Theodore Roosevelt

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always

go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)