Tom M.

Default A craftsman table saw?!

I bought this saw six months ago with the 10% discount ($450), and
1-1/2 months later it went on sale for $399. I went back to Sears, and
the manager credited $50 back on my account, even though I think their
policy is 30 days.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the saw so far. I lined everything up with
my dial indicator, and the miter slots are parallel, the fence locks
solid, square and is repeatable, and it passes the nickel test (penny
test after link belt). I found the arbor flange runout to be a little
excessive, but cured that with my tenoning jig and a honing block (now
it's .0005"). Buy a new blade, though...I put a $30 Freud combination
thin kerf, and it goes through 4/4 oak like butter. I really like the
router wing also, but it's only drilled to fit Craftsman and Ryobi
routers. I'm sure I could probably drill it for my PC or DW router,
but I haven't figured out an accurate way of doing it yet. The router
fence boards flex a little on the brackets, but were okay when I put a
piece of 1/4" wood between them and the fence. The dust collector tube
also works well. In a nutshell, I think it's a decent saw, and very
good if you have limited space. Sure Jet and Delta may be better saws,
but for $600 you get two stamped steel wings, no router mount, and no
mobile base.

Tom

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message ...
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924830000

This is $500, and there is a 10% discount for hardware week, or something
like that.
So it is $450 for alot of cast iron. (the router table piece is cast iron
also.)

It is only a 24" fence, but I don't expect to do much bigger than that.
The fence didn't feel as positive as the deltas or jets, but I can always go
to a better fence some day; right? (besides, that is 6" less inches I need
in my already cramped "shop".)

So, is it a gimicky piece of junk, or does it offer a lot of features for
the price. (It is a step up from the router table I am using now.)