Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting crown moulding to fit around outside bullnose corners?

I am trying to fit 5" crown molding (38 degree spring angle) around an
outside bullnose. I've been trying to use a compound miter saw to cut
at 22.5 degrees but have been doing something wrong because I end up
with too small of an angle when I stick the three pieces together.
Can somebody tell me what settings I need to have on my miter saw? I
have the miter set at 22.5. Does the bevel setting also need to be at
22.5? How does one calculate this? Thanks!
H.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 00:09:33 -0700, Hubert
wrote:

I am trying to fit 5" crown molding (38 degree spring angle) around an
outside bullnose. I've been trying to use a compound miter saw to cut
at 22.5 degrees but have been doing something wrong because I end up
with too small of an angle when I stick the three pieces together.
Can somebody tell me what settings I need to have on my miter saw? I
have the miter set at 22.5. Does the bevel setting also need to be at
22.5? How does one calculate this? Thanks!
H.

Are you cutting the crown molding upside down in the miter saw? With
this arrangement, you should not need to adjust the bevel. Try using
scrap pieces until you get the correct angle. No need to use a
calculator or charts (this is the harder way).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 3:09 am, Hubert wrote:
I am trying to fit 5" crown molding (38 degree spring angle) around an
outside bullnose. I've been trying to use a compound miter saw to cut
at 22.5 degrees but have been doing something wrong because I end up
with too small of an angle when I stick the three pieces together.
Can somebody tell me what settings I need to have on my miter saw? I
have the miter set at 22.5. Does the bevel setting also need to be at
22.5? How does one calculate this? Thanks!
H.

You might also want to try splitting the corner like in this example

http://www.askthebuilder.com/555_Ins..._Corners.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

I pickedup this book a few years ago for about $18-$20 .. .. .. money
well spent .. .. .. takes the "mystery out of doing all sorts of trim,
including rouned outside corners.

No affiliation except as a satisfied customer .. .. ..

Hubert wrote:
I am trying to fit 5" crown molding (38 degree spring angle) around an
outside bullnose. I've been trying to use a compound miter saw to cut
at 22.5 degrees but have been doing something wrong because I end up
with too small of an angle when I stick the three pieces together.
Can somebody tell me what settings I need to have on my miter saw? I
have the miter set at 22.5. Does the bevel setting also need to be at
22.5? How does one calculate this? Thanks!
H.

Posted to rec.woodworking

__ Bob __ wrote:
I pickedup this book a few years ago for about $18-$20 .. .. .. money
well spent .. .. .. takes the "mystery out of doing all sorts of trim,
including rouned outside corners.

No affiliation except as a satisfied customer .. .. ..

Um....which book would that be exactly?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

Chris Friesen wrote:
__ Bob __ wrote:

I pickedup this book a few years ago for about $18-$20 .. .. .. money
well spent .. .. .. takes the "mystery out of doing all sorts of trim,
including rouned outside corners.

No affiliation except as a satisfied customer .. .. ..

Um....which book would that be exactly?

Chris

OOPS !! !! !!

this one .. .. ..

http://www.compoundmiter.com/cathedral_ceiling.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am trying to fit 5" crown molding (38 degree spring angle) around an
outside bullnose. I've been trying to use a compound miter saw to cut
at 22.5 degrees but have been doing something wrong because I end up
with too small of an angle when I stick the three pieces together.

22.5 will be correct. Turn your crown upside down on the saw with the
flat part on the back of the bottom edge (the part that would go
against the wall) flat against the upright fence on your miter saw.
No need to use the compound feature if your saw will cut through the
molding sitting at that angle on the saw.
You will need to hang past the radius just a little coming from each
direction to make the pie piece work. The first one is the hardest
but you'll get a feel for it.

Mike O.