Default crown moulding

I have doors in the living and dining rooms whose top casing extends to the
ceiling. I would like to put crown moulding in these rooms. Any suggestions
on how to do this and make it look good? I.e., if the casing is left in
place the crown moulding which is intalled at an angle will stick out beyond
the top moulding (it is "standard" colonial casing). I would prefer not to
have to lower the height of the doors which is an obvious solution).

Duane Bozarth

h wrote:

I have doors in the living and dining rooms whose top casing extends to the
ceiling. I would like to put crown moulding in these rooms. Any suggestions
on how to do this and make it look good? I.e., if the casing is left in
place the crown moulding which is intalled at an angle will stick out beyond
the top moulding (it is "standard" colonial casing). I would prefer not to
have to lower the height of the doors which is an obvious solution).

Alternative to the suggestion of cutting the existing moulding (but more
work), run the moulding around the casing w/ a mitered return...will
accentuate the doors even further.
calhoun

What looks good is to change the top door casing to a flat (3/4 pine)
casing. If you are that close to the ceiling the crown is going to cover
most of the casing anyway. Then just miter the crown around the casing.
Treat it as an inside/outside/outside/inside corner.

"h" wrote in message
I have doors in the living and dining rooms whose top casing extends to the
ceiling. I would like to put crown moulding in these rooms. Any
suggestions
on how to do this and make it look good? I.e., if the casing is left in
place the crown moulding which is intalled at an angle will stick out
beyond
the top moulding (it is "standard" colonial casing). I would prefer not to
have to lower the height of the doors which is an obvious solution).

Duane Bozarth

calhoun wrote:

What looks good is to change the top door casing to a flat (3/4 pine)
casing. ...

I was assuming it already would be if run to the ceiling...but if not,
this is precisely my suggestion...great minds and all that,
undoubtedly...
John/Charleston

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:01:24 -0600, "h" wrote:

I have doors in the living and dining rooms whose top casing extends to the
ceiling. I would like to put crown moulding in these rooms. Any suggestions
on how to do this and make it look good? I.e., if the casing is left in
place the crown moulding which is intalled at an angle will stick out beyond
the top moulding (it is "standard" colonial casing). I would prefer not to
have to lower the height of the doors which is an obvious solution).

Frankly I can't imagine this looking good no matter how you do it.
Why is the door casing up to the ceiling? Low ceilings? Tall
doors? Very high casing?

Harvey Louzon

On 2005-03-20 19:02:54 -0600, John/Charleston said:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:01:24 -0600, "h" wrote:

I have doors in the living and dining rooms whose top casing extends to the
ceiling. I would like to put crown moulding in these rooms. Any suggestions
on how to do this and make it look good? I.e., if the casing is left in
place the crown moulding which is intalled at an angle will stick out beyond
the top moulding (it is "standard" colonial casing). I would prefer not to
have to lower the height of the doors which is an obvious solution).

Frankly I can't imagine this looking good no matter how you do it.
Why is the door casing up to the ceiling? Low ceilings? Tall
doors? Very high casing?

The ceiling is 8 feet high in the foyer leading into a sunken living
room with a 9 foot ceiling. When they remodeled it they wanted the
increased height and it gives it a nice open look compared to identical
homes in the neighborhood. So I would prefer not to drop the top casing
and lower the door height.

John/Charleston

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:58:28 -0600, Harvey Louzon

On 2005-03-20 19:02:54 -0600, John/Charleston said:

[...]

Personally I'd probably skip the crown in that room but if it has to
be, replacing the colonial casing with straight 1X and going around it
would probably be the best bet. (as someone else said earlier)

If the door's head jamb is only 2 1/4" from the ceiling (normal
colonial casing width) then the crown better be pretty small or it's
going to look kind of silly.

Another option woudl be to use the 1X and then notch the crown around
the casing. This would raise the bottom edge of the crown for the
notched section above the door a little and might help.