Rob

Default Crown moulding "ends"

I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall
________________

| 5"
________________|

dining room wall
js

Maybe a decorative block to end it.. a square piece with a flower or
something carved into it, and run the crown into that.

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall
________________

| 5"
________________|

dining room wall

Scott Cramer

On 26 Sep 2003, Rob spake unto rec.woodworking:

I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

Make a mitered outside corner at each side of the doorway opening, or make
outside corners that run into the opening, and stop them with another
ouside miter before entering the kitchen. You'll have to glue the small
piece that makes the final outside corner, it will likely split if you try
to nail it.
John Quinn

I would wrap the corner ending the crown molding in the 5" space. On
the piece of molding that will cap the end, you may want to glue on
using a block for support.
John

Rob wrote:

I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall
________________

| 5"
________________|

dining room wall

Phil Crow

You can put what I think is called a return on it. Make an "outside"
miter and then cut it at 90 degrees so you have a little
triangle--okay. Let's try this again.

Let's say you're feeding the molding into your miter saw. Turn the
blade to the side 45 degrees and make a cut all the way through the
molding. Feed the molding through one blade width, then make another
cut at 90 degrees. You should have a triangle-shaped piece of molding
such that the 45 degree cut and the 90 degree cut meet at the bottom
(top) of the molding.

Now, just make an outside miter right where you want to end the
molding and take your triangle and stick it in there. The crown
molding essentially "returns" into the wall.

Experts may argue, and if I were you, I'd listen to them. This method
worked for me, though. This treatment is also common for fireplace
mantels, shelves, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Phil Crow

P.S. You are COPING all your corners, right? G

(Rob) wrote in message . com...
I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall
________________

| 5"
________________|

dining room wall

Rob

It looks like my diagram got distorted. Yes basically my question was
do I "return" the moulding in the 5" space or in the kitchen. I will
take the advice given and return the moulding in the 5" space. Thank
you all for your help.

(Rob) wrote in message . com...
I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall
________________

| 5"
________________|

dining room wall

Dan G

I think it would look better to build the header.

####################
Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G
(remove the 7)

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall
________________

| 5"
________________|

dining room wall

Rob

That crossed my mind too. I still might do that.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:46:13 GMT, "Dan G" wrote:

I think it would look better to build the header.

####################
Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G
(remove the 7)

"Rob" wrote in message
. com...
I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening
between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to
the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do
not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any
recommendations where it should end and how the end should look?
Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a
regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall

| 5"

dining room wall