Mike Reed

Default Why you should bevel the ends of tenons (long)

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in message . ..
"charlieb" wrote in message
Did the glue up of the drawer unit for the work bench today.
Rather than a slip in separate box to fit between the upper

---major snippage----

The moral of this story is CHAMFER THE ENDS OF
ALL YOUR TENONS. Helps with alignment and minimizea
the likelyhood of splitting off an edge - at the worst
possible time.

of course, you're right and I appreciate you sharing your experience(s).
And I thought the camfer was just for esthetics.

It provides a place for excess glue to go rather than all of it
squirting out the mortice onto your finish surfaces.

I always chamfer quickly using my #93 rabbet plane, which I already
have out to fit the tenon.

Thanks, Charlie, for another reinforcement for chamfering my tenons

-Mike
-Mike

Coving long lengths? David Cawkwell UK diy 4 February 28th 04 03:28 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Long post about boilers and stuff - with too many questions....! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 11 January 4th 04 10:06 AM
making long taps Don Huseman Metalworking 7 August 12th 03 02:20 AM