Dave

Default Narrow Brass Tubing - Smothing Out Cut Ends

Hi,

I'm working with 3/32" (outside diameter) brass tubing that I cut into
short lengths (1" - 3") to use with fishing lures. I need a way to
smooth out the ends so that the sharp edges will not cut through
fishing line that will pass though the tubes.

I've looked for a flaring tool, but cannot find one that will work
with thsi diameter of tubing, and I'm not sure that flaring the ends
would really solve my problem anyway. Also thought about dipping the
ends in apoxy. Any ideas on an effcient way to smooth the ends of the
cut tubing?

Dave
Boris Beizer

I'm working with 3/32" (outside diameter) brass tubing that I cut into
short lengths (1" - 3") to use with fishing lures. I need a way to
smooth out the ends so that the sharp edges will not cut through
fishing line that will pass though the tubes.

I've looked for a flaring tool, but cannot find one that will work
with thsi diameter of tubing, and I'm not sure that flaring the ends
would really solve my problem anyway. Also thought about dipping the
ends in apoxy. Any ideas on an effcient way to smooth the ends of the
cut tubing?

1. Cut the tubing with a jeweler's saw. Use about a #2 or finer blade for
that diameter. That alone will create a nice flat edge. Alternatively, use
a Dremel or Flex shaft machine with a cut-off wheel -- not as good, but a
Jeweler's saw takes lots of practice until you stop breaking blades.

2. File the end flat to rid the burrs. If you hold the tube in a pin vice
you can put a nice chamfer in a second. Alternatively, a touch with a
rubber abrasive wheel on a flex shaft machine or dremel will do nicely.

3. Use a jeweler's conical or bud burr, about 2.5 mm in diameter. Dremel
also sells these (overpriced, but okay for one time buy). DO NOT use it in
a machine. Put the burr in a pin vice and make a pass or two for the inside
chamfer. You might also use a #2 center drill -- that you can hold in
fingers because the shank is bigger -- a twist or two and you've got a nice
chamfer on the inside.

The entire process I described takes less time than it takes you to read the
above. I'd make them up in a mini production line -- one operation at a
time and do a few dozen at a time.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

jim rozen

In article , Dave says...

Hi,

I'm working with 3/32" (outside diameter) brass tubing that I cut into
short lengths (1" - 3") to use with fishing lures. I need a way to
smooth out the ends so that the sharp edges will not cut through
fishing line that will pass though the tubes.

I've looked for a flaring tool, but cannot find one that will work
with thsi diameter of tubing, and I'm not sure that flaring the ends
would really solve my problem anyway. Also thought about dipping the
ends in apoxy. Any ideas on an effcient way to smooth the ends of the
cut tubing?

I do this with a very small carbide countersink, and simply
put a chamfer inside the ends. Typically I dress the outer
edges with a fine jewlers file.

Jim

please reply to:

Wwj2110

chuck the tube up in your drill press, crank the rpms up, roll up a small
piece of fine emory cloth & insert it into the end of the tube
Ted Edwards

Dave wrote:

I'm working with 3/32" (outside diameter) brass tubing that I cut into
short lengths (1" - 3") to use with fishing lures. I need a way to
smooth out the ends so that the sharp edges will not cut through
fishing line that will pass though the tubes.

Do you have a lathe? If not, you now have an excuse to get one. If
(when) you do, cut the tubing in the lathe with a really sharp parting
tool and then touch up the inside with a sharp countersink to remove
what little burr will be there.

If you want to flare the end a little, you could do it with the work
spinning and a tool that looks like a rivet set for hollow end rivets in
the tailstock.

Ted

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Wwj2110" wrote in message
chuck the tube up in your drill press, crank the rpms up, roll up a

small
piece of fine emory cloth & insert it into the end of the tube

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to suggest this, the best
possible solution to this simple problem! I agree! I've deburred such
items that way as long as I can remember.

Harold