Richard Cranium

Default Crown moulding -- which way is up?

I'm going to put crown moulding in the bathroom I'm remodeling. While
I was sanding the moulding I realized I didn't know which way was up.
I've been told that for years but never believed it.

With some styles such as dental moulding it is somewhat clear which
way it should be oriented but with other styles I haven't got a clue.
Is there a rule of thumb to tell which side should be up or is it
primarily what the individual prefers?

Thanks,
R.C.
Tom Watson

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:56:47 -0500, Richard Cranium
wrote:

I'm going to put crown moulding in the bathroom I'm remodeling. While
I was sanding the moulding I realized I didn't know which way was up.
I've been told that for years but never believed it.

With some styles such as dental moulding it is somewhat clear which
way it should be oriented but with other styles I haven't got a clue.
Is there a rule of thumb to tell which side should be up or is it
primarily what the individual prefers?

Thanks,
R.C.

Most crown molding is composed of a small cove (scotia) on the bottom
and a larger cyma, or ogee (shallow S curve) curve at the top.

http://www.altereagle.com/How_to_install.html

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Duane Bozarth

Richard Cranium wrote:

I'm going to put crown moulding in the bathroom I'm remodeling. While
I was sanding the moulding I realized I didn't know which way was up.
I've been told that for years but never believed it.

With some styles such as dental moulding it is somewhat clear which
way it should be oriented but with other styles I haven't got a clue.
Is there a rule of thumb to tell which side should be up or is it
primarily what the individual prefers?

The traditional way (dare I say "correct"?) is for the large cove to be
down...
David

Richard Cranium wrote:

I'm going to put crown moulding in the bathroom I'm remodeling. While
I was sanding the moulding I realized I didn't know which way was up.
I've been told that for years but never believed it.

With some styles such as dental moulding it is somewhat clear which
way it should be oriented but with other styles I haven't got a clue.
Is there a rule of thumb to tell which side should be up or is it
primarily what the individual prefers?

Thanks,
R.C.

if you look at the angles on the back side, you'll see that one way will
place the molding more on the wall than the other way. The orientation
that places the molding lower on the wall is the correct way.

"Finish Carpentry: The Best of Fine Homebuilding" is just one of many
books that will help get you up to speed on crown installation.

Dave
Mike O.

wrote:

I'm going to put crown moulding in the bathroom I'm remodeling. While
I was sanding the moulding I realized I didn't know which way was up.
I've been told that for years but never believed it.

If the crown has a cove detail it normally goes down.
It's always been my belief that crown was originally designed this way
so that if you needed to mold down the side of a cabinet you could
just cope a piece of cove mold into the cove detail on the crown.

Mike O.

Richard Cranium

I thank all of you for your replies.

Based on the answers from this small population it appears that the
following methods are used:

1. The small cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

2. The large cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

3. If there is any cove it should be near the bottom.

4. The side with the greater length should be on the wall.

Therefore, it would seem that whatever orientation the individual
prefers would not cause the end of the woodworking world as we know
it. It will have to agree with at least one of the above answers.

R.C.
Duane Bozarth

Richard Cranium wrote:

I thank all of you for your replies.

Based on the answers from this small population it appears that the
following methods are used:

1. The small cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

2. The large cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

3. If there is any cove it should be near the bottom.

4. The side with the greater length should be on the wall.

Therefore, it would seem that whatever orientation the individual
prefers would not cause the end of the woodworking world as we know
it. It will have to agree with at least one of the above answers.

True, you'll find it in both orientations...but, the following url
has some nice pictures of typical profiles for your consideration...

http://www.crown-molding.com/
LRod

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:37:41 -0500, Richard Cranium
wrote:

I thank all of you for your replies.

Based on the answers from this small population it appears that the
following methods are used:

1. The small cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

2. The large cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

3. If there is any cove it should be near the bottom.

4. The side with the greater length should be on the wall.

Therefore, it would seem that whatever orientation the individual
prefers would not cause the end of the woodworking world as we know
it. It will have to agree with at least one of the above answers.

As someone's tagline reads: "go not to usenet for the answer, for they
will say both yes and no."

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Unquestionably Confused

LRod wrote:

As someone's tagline reads: "go not to usenet for the answer, for they
will say both yes and no."

Hmmmm, I don't know, but I'm not sure!
David

wrote:

I thank all of you for your replies.

Based on the answers from this small population it appears that the
following methods are used:

1. The small cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

2. The large cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

3. If there is any cove it should be near the bottom.

4. The side with the greater length should be on the wall.

Therefore, it would seem that whatever orientation the individual
prefers would not cause the end of the woodworking world as we know
it. It will have to agree with at least one of the above answers.

As someone's tagline reads: "go not to usenet for the answer, for they
will say both yes and no."

When have you seen a properly installed crown moulding installed with
the long side on the ceiling instead of the wall?

Dave

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Richard Cranium wrote:
I thank all of you for your replies.

Based on the answers from this small population it appears that the
following methods are used:

1. The small cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

2. The large cove is suppose to be near the bottom.

3. If there is any cove it should be near the bottom.

4. The side with the greater length should be on the wall.

"That's the nice thing about standards -- there are so many to choose from."
-- source unknown