Bob Bowles

Default router lift

I wouldn't part with the Raizer NOW. Can't compare but it sure makes
life easier.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:42:47 -0400, "Jim Neuman" wrote:

I am considering buying a router lift table insert system. Anybody have a
recommendation as to which one?

Jim Neuman

--
Jim Neuman

Mike in Mystic

Get the woodpecker Precision Router Lift. It is rock solid and accurate. I
have the 32 pitch version and it makes height adjustments to the tune of
0.001" easily and repeatably. Also, it has two guide rods so it won't rack.
I have a heavy PC 7518 router beast in it, and it hasn't sagged at all.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Jim Neuman" wrote in message
I am considering buying a router lift table insert system. Anybody have a
recommendation as to which one?

--
Jim Neuman

Bay Area Dave

I've got a PRL. I decided to get the 16 pitch thread instead of the 32
pitch, because moving the thing up/down takes a long time with the 32.
I'm glad I got it. There is no backlash at all in the lift mechanism,
so you can set the height PRECISELY. Just remember; it ain't cheap!
The competing brand uses a belt and I looked it over very carefully at
the Sacramento WW show earlier this year. The salesman said it doesn't
have backlash. IT DOES! LOTS! That turned me off, even though the rest
of it is very well built. As a matter of fact, IMO, it's better built
(overall) than the PRL, BUT the belt drive was unacceptable to me.

Hope this helps.

dave

Jim Neuman wrote:

I am considering buying a router lift table insert system. Anybody have a
recommendation as to which one?

Bay Area Dave

Hi Mike,

Do you also use a cordless drill for fast height adjustments? that's
what i do with my 16 pitch PRL.

dave

"Jim Neuman" wrote in message

I am considering buying a router lift table insert system. Anybody have a
recommendation as to which one?

--
Jim Neuman

Mike in Mystic

Hi Dave,

I haven't done that yet. It does take me a little effort to move the bits
up and down, but not so much that it bothers me all that much. I have an
extra crank, so one of these days I'll remove the handle and start using the
drill, which will definitely be a useful thing to do. Lately, I'm just
happy if I can even get in the shop at all hehe!

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

.com...

"Jim Neuman" wrote in message

I am considering buying a router lift table insert system. Anybody have

recommendation as to which one?

--
Jim Neuman

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Neuman" wrote in message
I am considering buying a router lift table insert system. Anybody have a
recommendation as to which one?

--
Jim Neuman

I'm very satisfied with my Benchdog. I use a drill (with a socket bit) to
run it all the way up to change bits. They give you a handle to make
precise adjustments. It is well build and should last a few decades of use.
There are a few others that look good also, so check the features that may
be most important to you.
Ed

DJ Delorie

"Mike in Mystic" writes:
Get the woodpecker Precision Router Lift. It is rock solid and accurate. I
have the 32 pitch version and it makes height adjustments to the tune of
0.001" easily and repeatably. Also, it has two guide rods so it won't rack.
I have a heavy PC 7518 router beast in it, and it hasn't sagged at all.

I've got the same setup and agree completely. I use a dial indicator
to zero out the bits, then I can set the height very accurately just
by counting cranks and watching the thou indicators.

Mine is paired with an Incra fence system, which has similar accuracy.

No, I don't use a drill either. Even at 32tpi, it doesn't take *that*
long to change the height, and with a crank I can count turns and keep
track of the bit height.
Bay Area Dave

I too, count turns when necessary, DJ. BTW, the 16 tooth model is also
accurate to .001. It's easy to set it to 1/2 between two marks on the
dial. (Not that I usually need more than .002 accuracy anyway, but it's
there...) I also have an Incra Twin Linear and I appreciate the micro
adjust capability, esp. for adjusting a dado's width.

dave

DJ Delorie wrote:

"Mike in Mystic" writes:

Get the woodpecker Precision Router Lift. It is rock solid and accurate. I
have the 32 pitch version and it makes height adjustments to the tune of
0.001" easily and repeatably. Also, it has two guide rods so it won't rack.
I have a heavy PC 7518 router beast in it, and it hasn't sagged at all.

I've got the same setup and agree completely. I use a dial indicator
to zero out the bits, then I can set the height very accurately just
by counting cranks and watching the thou indicators.

Mine is paired with an Incra fence system, which has similar accuracy.

No, I don't use a drill either. Even at 32tpi, it doesn't take *that*
long to change the height, and with a crank I can count turns and keep
track of the bit height.

Frank K.

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
.com...
Hi Mike,

Do you also use a cordless drill for fast height adjustments? that's
what i do with my 16 pitch PRL.

dave

I use a mechanics 1/4" drive speed handle and a socket with a 3/8" hex drive
bit built in. It's easier to use than the wrench supplied with the PRL
because of the knob being above the crank. I also use the offset wrenches
sold by Woodpecker so I don't have to raise it all the way to change bits.

Frank

Bay Area Dave

sounds like an excellent alternative. I spoke to Woodpeckers about
putting a sleeve on the long crank shaft, so that one could grip a
smooth surface instead of hanging on to that infernal hex shaft to
steady it. Hopefully that will make it into production soon...

dave

Frank K. wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
.com...

Hi Mike,

Do you also use a cordless drill for fast height adjustments? that's
what i do with my 16 pitch PRL.

dave

I use a mechanics 1/4" drive speed handle and a socket with a 3/8" hex drive
bit built in. It's easier to use than the wrench supplied with the PRL
because of the knob being above the crank. I also use the offset wrenches
sold by Woodpecker so I don't have to raise it all the way to change bits.

Frank

Alan W

I've got the same setup and agree completely. I use a dial indicator
to zero out the bits, then I can set the height very accurately just
by counting cranks and watching the thou indicators.

How do you set up your dial indicator tell when the bit is at zero?
Are you above the bit looking down and have it mounted to fence of
something so you have a relative to the table reading?

Alan
Mike in Mystic

I would imagine he just zeroes it to the table and then locks it in place,
moves it over the bit and raise the bit so it just touches the plunger on
the dial indicator.

"Alan W" wrote in message
m...

I've got the same setup and agree completely. I use a dial indicator
to zero out the bits, then I can set the height very accurately just
by counting cranks and watching the thou indicators.

How do you set up your dial indicator tell when the bit is at zero?
Are you above the bit looking down and have it mounted to fence of
something so you have a relative to the table reading?

Alan

DJ Delorie

I zero the indicator on the lift plate, then move it over the bit edge
and zero the bit. The indicator is heavy enough to just sit on the
aluminum plate, but I'm still careful to keep the indicator close to
the base so it won't tip.
Alan W

Would the extra $100 be well spent to purchase a router lift vs buying
a Router Razier at $79.00?

The price difference is even smaller if you figure in the insert that
comes with the router lift vs. the one you have to purchase for the
Router Razier.

My router, FWIIW is a Hitachi TR12

Alan

Rob

I have the same thing except I have the 16tpi version.

I love it!

I also have an Eliminator chuck. Makes bit changes even easier.

Rob

"Jim Neuman" wrote in message
I am considering buying a router lift table insert system. Anybody have

recommendation as to which one?

--
Jim Neuman

Alan W

I wouldn't part with the Raizer NOW. Can't compare but it sure makes
life easier.

Took a look at the woodpecker catalog and see the router lift is about
$289.00 with their plunge lift at $169.00.

A Router Razier is $79.00 + shipping, is the extra $80 or so well
spent getting the alum insert, the pin, and the removable rings with
the plunge lift?

It seems the plunge lift makes more sense for a dedicated in the table
router, vs one that you have to pull out and use by hand on occassion.

Alan
BRuce

I have the Razier on a Freud and I love it. it is perm in the table.
for me it is too heavy to use free hand.

If I had to do it again, probably get a different router that allowed
easier access to the the collet but the razier is great, I would do that
again.

BRuce

Alan W wrote:

I wouldn't part with the Raizer NOW. Can't compare but it sure makes
life easier.

Took a look at the woodpecker catalog and see the router lift is about
$289.00 with their plunge lift at $169.00.

A Router Razier is $79.00 + shipping, is the extra $80 or so well
spent getting the alum insert, the pin, and the removable rings with
the plunge lift?

It seems the plunge lift makes more sense for a dedicated in the table
router, vs one that you have to pull out and use by hand on occassion.

Alan

--
---

BRuce

Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Router for router table Todd Fatheree Woodworking 12 September 11th 03 09:30 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM