Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New safety device idea

How about a device that cuts off power to the router when it hears a
loud bang?

The same device could also be rigged to order a new pair of underwear.

Thought it was the bit breaking at first, but uh, while trimming
laminate? Then the puff of smoke out of the router was a significant
clue, as was the sound of something rattling around inside it.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

One of those "Clapper" light controls comes to mind. No, forget that. It
requires 2 bangs to turn it off, and then if there are any more bangs (like
the sound from swearing loudly) it'll just turn the router back on.

Glad you didn't get hurt. The laundry should take care of the other problem.
As for the router, I guess it's time to go buy that fancy new one that
you've been looking at.

Charley

"Leuf" wrote in message
How about a device that cuts off power to the router when it hears a
loud bang?

The same device could also be rigged to order a new pair of underwear.

Thought it was the bit breaking at first, but uh, while trimming
laminate? Then the puff of smoke out of the router was a significant
clue, as was the sound of something rattling around inside it.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 31, 5:45 pm, Leuf wrote:
How about a device that cuts off power to the router when it hears a
loud bang?

The same device could also be rigged to order a new pair of underwear.

Thought it was the bit breaking at first, but uh, while trimming
laminate? Then the puff of smoke out of the router was a significant
clue, as was the sound of something rattling around inside it.

-Leuf

You wouldn't happen to remember the make, model, and year of that
router, would you? :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:18:06 -0000, "
wrote:

On Jul 31, 5:45 pm, Leuf wrote:
How about a device that cuts off power to the router when it hears a
loud bang?

The same device could also be rigged to order a new pair of underwear.

Thought it was the bit breaking at first, but uh, while trimming
laminate? Then the puff of smoke out of the router was a significant
clue, as was the sound of something rattling around inside it.

-Leuf

You wouldn't happen to remember the make, model, and year of that
router, would you? :-)

Dewalt 618. Just a fluke I guess, it hadn't really seen that much use
either. I may buy another one so I can make use of the bases.

If there's one thing I'd like different though is the power switch in
a place I can reach without letting go of the handle for when I went
to shut the damn thing off in a hurry

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Jul 31, 5:45 pm, Leuf wrote:
How about a device that cuts off power to the router when it hears a
loud bang?

The same device could also be rigged to order a new pair of underwear.

Thought it was the bit breaking at first, but uh, while trimming
laminate? Then the puff of smoke out of the router was a significant
clue, as was the sound of something rattling around inside it.

-Leuf

You wouldn't happen to remember the make, model, and year of that
router, would you? :-)

Dewalt 618. Just a fluke I guess, it hadn't really seen that much use
either. I may buy another one so I can make use of the bases.

If there's one thing I'd like different though is the power switch in
a place I can reach without letting go of the handle for when I went
to shut the damn thing off in a hurry

-Leuf

If it's a DW618 it can't be very old. They've only been on the market about
3 years. Maybe you should try to get Dewalt to repair/replace it under
warranty first (you did keep your receipt didn't you)

I have one and love it. It has seen considerable use over the last 2 years
with no problems at all. Yours must have a manufacturing defect (at least
that's what I would tell them).

Charley

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have one and love it. It has seen considerable use over the last 2 years
with no problems at all. Yours must have a manufacturing defect (at least
that's what I would tell them).

Charley

Definitely wouldn't hurt to bug Dewalt about it a little bit - I'd
certainly expect better, unless you've been using it continuously for
the last 3 years. I have a 618 also, and have had no problems.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have an alert for router owners. when I worked for the Feds
as a carpenter, I used to carry my tools in plastic 5 gal buckets,
One day I threw some extra nails and items in a bucket
to clean up an area. Later I turned on a router to trim &
heard a FFFT. found out later a nail shorted out the innards.
Ever since that time, I wrap the router in a cloth to keep
the *innards* clean.
Expensive lesson !

Smitty