Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DeWalt 36V drill/driver

(crossposted)

Anybody have one of those monsters?

I just ordered a bare tool only (DC900/DC900KL) without batteries or a
charger for $85 (US). I have three spare 12V 3.5AH batteries to power
it (for a motorized project, it won't be used for drilling).

I'm wondering why people are selling them cheap. Maybe they're too big
and heavy? Not powerful enough? Too many returns? There are several
new units on eBay for about $100 each. The batteries are expensive
but apparently they are lithium ion and that is the reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Anybody have one of those monsters?

I just ordered a bare tool only (DC900/DC900KL) without batteries or a
charger for $85 (US). I have three spare 12V 3.5AH batteries to power
it (for a motorized project, it won't be used for drilling).

??!! Have I been sleeping under a rock? I've not seen this voltage. I use a
24 volt sawsall constantly in cold weather (pruning apple trees - three man
crew for one unit) Is a sawsall made in 36 volt?

Karl

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...

Anybody have one of those monsters?

I just ordered a bare tool only (DC900/DC900KL) without batteries or a
charger for $85 (US). I have three spare 12V 3.5AH batteries to power
it (for a motorized project, it won't be used for drilling).

??!! Have I been sleeping under a rock? I've not seen this voltage. I use
a 24 volt sawsall constantly in cold weather (pruning apple trees - three
man crew for one unit) Is a sawsall made in 36 volt?

Yes there is! They claim twice the power or three times the life, with no
degradation on the shelf and good for 2000 charges.
I bought a set about 10 days ago. The only tool I have actually used was
the reciprocating saw. It seemed as powerful as plug in, and while I
thought I used it a lot, the charger said it was only down a third.
If you want to get into it slowly, I have the case on ebay now.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
DLB DLB is offline

On Jul 4, 7:38 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
Anybody have one of those monsters?

I just ordered a bare tool only (DC900/DC900KL) without batteries or a
charger for $85 (US). I have three spare 12V 3.5AH batteries to power
it (for a motorized project, it won't be used for drilling).

??!! Have I been sleeping under a rock? I've not seen this voltage. I use a
24 volt sawsall constantly in cold weather (pruning apple trees - three man
crew for one unit) Is a sawsall made in 36 volt?

Karl

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dewalt/DC305K/

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...

Anybody have one of those monsters?

I just ordered a bare tool only (DC900/DC900KL) without batteries or a
charger for $85 (US). I have three spare 12V 3.5AH batteries to power
it (for a motorized project, it won't be used for drilling).

??!! Have I been sleeping under a rock? I've not seen this voltage. I use
a 24 volt sawsall constantly in cold weather (pruning apple trees - three
man crew for one unit) Is a sawsall made in 36 volt?

Karl

http://www.amazon.com/Corona-Clipper...3648412&sr=1-5

Why sawzall when this Corona baby has a 3" capacity, anything larger I'll
take a chainsaw to it. Using sawzalls to prune and even fell trees before, I
say its not the right tool for this kind of operation - too much vibration,
too slow and use too many blades - a massaciatic delight. Those 36V jobs I
see comes with only one battery and won't last all day, battery craps out
anywhere within 2 to 5 years and expensive to replace assuming if its still
able to get battery replacements five or ten years from now. No thank, I'll
take a corded super duty Milwaukee or Hilti anytime as it should outlast
me - buy once and forget about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

It seems like manufacturers are going to continually raise voltage for
portable tools until they get it up to 110 volts. (DC of course) Then
we'll be right back where we started from . . . . 100 years ago. No make
that 110 years ago!

Bob (not easily taken in by clever merchandising) Swinney
"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Do you use the Corona? How is it?
Karl

http://www.amazon.com/Corona-Clipper...ity-WL6490/dp/...

Why sawzall when this Corona baby has a 3" capacity, anything larger I'll
take a chainsaw to it. Using sawzalls to prune and even fell trees before, I
say its not the right tool for this kind of operation - too much vibration,
too slow and use too many blades - a massaciatic delight. Those 36V jobs I
see comes with only one battery and won't last all day, battery craps out
anywhere within 2 to 5 years and expensive to replace assuming if its still
able to get battery replacements five or ten years from now. No thank, I'll
take a corded super duty Milwaukee or Hilti anytime as it should outlast
me - buy once and forget about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

The 36v Delta saw is much lighter than a corded saw and a generator.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wade Lippman" wrote:

It seemed as powerful as plug in, and while I thought I used it a
lot, the charger said it was only down a third. If you want to get
into it slowly, I have the case on ebay now.

Buying a case would be getting into it very very slowly.

/