Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Change color of a poly finish?

Hi,

We have a nice kitchen with old cabinets. The cabinets are made of
soid wood with beautiful carvings. The one thing we don't like is the
finish. It has an old muted dirty brownish 1950's feel. I was
wondering if there is a product to change the look of the finish a
little bit w/o refinishing (which is virtually impossible due to
carvings). We would be very happy with a redder finish or a "creamier"
finish. We need not make cabinets brighter although that would be
nice, too.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi,

We have a nice kitchen with old cabinets. The cabinets are made of
soid wood with beautiful carvings. The one thing we don't like is the
finish. It has an old muted dirty brownish 1950's feel. I was
wondering if there is a product to change the look of the finish a
little bit w/o refinishing (which is virtually impossible due to
carvings). We would be very happy with a redder finish or a "creamier"
finish. We need not make cabinets brighter although that would be
nice, too.

Carvings are not uncleanable, a good stripper will loosen the old finish
and wire wool can be used on shaped surfaces to remove finishes as well
as things like old toothbrushes dipped in stripper etc. It will be time
consuming and fiddly but no clear finish put on top of what you describe
is likely to help.

Or you could just paint over, but...

Peter

www.the-brights.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you're really interested, the parts (separate components) of this type of
finish (or any type of finish) can be analyzed. The result of the
colouring can be obtained as a solid non-see through colour coat, or in an
opaque translucent (see through) way, and then there may be layers, and then
there are combinations. A book on finishes would have that information if
you go to the appropriate section(s), staring with say (poly)urethane etc.,
which may take you to other sections. These may have names, and if you
understand you can make options.With this type of product, you can even get
a colourless can, then add the right type of a colourant to it, with various
formats of the colourant itself, and you can experiment, mix, match, etc,
combine different products. I needed a waterproofing poly for an exterior
door, bought a colourless poly can and made the door look like the wood from
inside a courtroom, with an estimated flow of brown at the paint match
machine, but keep the rest of the clear can; only cause I had read the
sections just before. All Try your local library. Like many topics, its
just a little too much info to write down from someone unless being
specific, good luck though. "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner
(if you spend the time you can get to this info with this book
pecifically - I own this book, but am not up to that now) or "Hand-Applied
Finishes" (iirc, or another - there's a icon book) by Jeff Jewitt (I have
not seen this), but may be better for a beginner than Flexner's.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We have a nice kitchen with old cabinets. The cabinets are made of
soid wood with beautiful carvings. The one thing we don't like is the
finish. It has an old muted dirty brownish 1950's feel. I was
wondering if there is a product to change the look of the finish a
little bit w/o refinishing (which is virtually impossible due to
carvings). We would be very happy with a redder finish or a "creamier"
finish. We need not make cabinets brighter although that would be
nice, too.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to rec.woodworking

Theres more to the story, but I can't remember what it is. I'm pretty sure
I killed 3 finishes at one time. ie I had two uses for the components, or I
had two components, of what eventually became a poly-urethane, then the
colour was added to the mixture for the third finish. Can't can't think or
say what, but you get the picture.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We have a nice kitchen with old cabinets. The cabinets are made of
soid wood with beautiful carvings. The one thing we don't like is the
finish. It has an old muted dirty brownish 1950's feel. I was
wondering if there is a product to change the look of the finish a
little bit w/o refinishing (which is virtually impossible due to
carvings). We would be very happy with a redder finish or a "creamier"
finish. We need not make cabinets brighter although that would be
nice, too.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Why Should We Thin Poly Before Rubbing the Finish? [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 12th 06 04:39 AM
How Change I Change the Color of Metal Roof Flashing? Mike Home Repair 7 December 19th 05 01:30 AM
poly finish for butchblock top? flipper Woodworking 7 November 14th 05 04:42 PM
Poly re-finish C & M Woodworking 3 July 29th 05 03:17 AM
How do finish water based poly from Compliant? Jeff Woodworking 28 September 21st 04 01:19 AM