Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Change color of a poly finish?

wrote:

Hi,

We have a nice kitchen with old cabinets. The cabinets are made of
soid wood with beautiful carvings. The one thing we don't like is the
finish. It has an old muted dirty brownish 1950's feel. I was
wondering if there is a product to change the look of the finish a
little bit w/o refinishing (which is virtually impossible due to
carvings). We would be very happy with a redder finish or a "creamier"
finish. We need not make cabinets brighter although that would be
nice, too.

Carvings are not uncleanable, a good stripper will loosen the old finish
and wire wool can be used on shaped surfaces to remove finishes as well
as things like old toothbrushes dipped in stripper etc. It will be time
consuming and fiddly but no clear finish put on top of what you describe
is likely to help.

Or you could just paint over, but...

Peter

www.the-brights.net